Inherited Husqvarna 36 worth fixing?oil out the exhaust bolts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worth fixing?

• Total voters

Joshcb7

Reaction score
So I just inherited this husky 36. After swapping out the gas it ran ok for about 5 min. As soon as iItried cutting it would just shut down. It's leaking a ton of oil out the exhaust around the bolts. After removing the muffler the plastic under it was melted, so somebody ran it very hot iI guess.Not sure where to start but id like to fix It if it's worth it.I have a couple other homelite sads that aren't worth it but this seems like a nice little saw that needs some tlc. Maybe a new cylinder setup?

Attachments

• IMG_20181031_143026277.jpg
    IMG_20181031_143026277.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20181031_143016833.jpg
    IMG_20181031_143016833.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 31
Hi and welcome.

First thing remove the muffler and check the piston for scoring. It will give you a preliminary idea of what you are dealing with.
Then move on: check the air filter, fuel tubing, remove the sprocket,, check the clutch etc.
The saw doesn't look terribly abused but you have no idea what the previous owner attempted doing with it: if the saw ran hot long enough to melt the muffler gasket there may be quite a few unpleasant surprises.

Parts for that saw are easy to obtain: I don't know if OE is still available but Hyway has a good quality top end kit if the need be, oil seals and crankshaft bearings are easily available etc.
Bear in mind this saw is of clamshell design, so getting the engine out to replace the oil seals (which I strongly recommend regardless of how good or bad the piston looks like) may be quite a chore. Nothing hard, just a lot of dismantling and reassembling involved.

Thanks for the welcome.Im out cleaning the saw up now. It was covered in oil and mold. It will start after 5ish pulls but i shut it off today until i get it right. I only ran it for 5 min total with a mix of the small oil made for 1 gallon mixes.I understand mixing ratios from 2 stroke dirt bikes, and I would be doing all of the work on the saw myself. What ratio would you recommend? I downloaded the manual for it.
Heres a pic of the melting I'm talking about. You might change your mind on how abused it was lol. It burnt the side of safety stop and I noticed a screw missing in that part so it might not function properly.I have a compression tester but didn't test it yet. I doubt there's any carb issues, maybe minor stuff. It sounds good, shakes alot.
I would be using it around the property, maintaining fence and such.I know it's a smaller saw but that's all i really need. Here's a pic of the other 2 saws i have if older saws interest you

Attachments

• IMG_20181031_161652234.jpg
    IMG_20181031_161652234.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 49
I guess the other pics didn't upload yesterday.

So I had the saw all cleaned up. Today it started 1st pull and ran great for 2 small 3inch cuts and then it just boss down under any throttle.It also seems to make the chain safety stop dirty right near the exhaust really fast, where it's burnt. The piston looked ok to me through the exhaust port. The top of the piston looked carbonated .An thoughts?

Sears parts direct.
  • Home > Chainsaw Chassis Assembly
    Chainsaw Chassis Assembly
    ★★★★★ No rating value
    Part #: 530-037484
    Substitution: 530069887 Learn why

PD_0007_135_8530069887

Full Size
    Print

Members get $20 back in points
    on PartsDirect purchase over $50 with coupon code: SYW20 See details
    • Online Only Price

• $
    • In Stock

Qty
    For zip codes near: 93630Change location

Estimated Standard Delivery Date: Order in the next 2 hrs.39 mins. to arrive Wednesday, November 14, 2018
    More delivery options
    Not available for store pickup

365-day online return program Learn more

All the parts that Sears PartsDirect sells are either original manufacturer parts or are approved by the original manufacturer.

Fixed one like that last year (41). I had to use a new case. Also the impulse line will need replacing while you have the cylinder off as it is a weak point. The 36 and 41 have Poulan crank oil seals as the 136 and 141, 142 have Husqvarna crank oil seals. Also will need to get the upgrade oiler which doesn't cost much, the China one works good. Not a bad job, but you will have in it the worth pretty much even though it was a freebie when done.

Back