Ms261c or ms362c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teco

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking at a new stihl saw. I can’t make my mind wether i should go with a MS261c or MS362c.

I can’t say I’m a professional user at this stage but would like to buy something that will last me a long time. I have a few big white pine trees to cut in the next few years so would like something that will be able to handle that.

I’m fairly new to chainsaws so was thinking the 261 would be ideal but the 362 has 10 more CCs so maybe that’ll give me more options in the future?

I have the 362 with 20'' and 24'' bars. The saw pulls both chains just fine and will cut just about anything you can throw at it. I have been looking to add another saw to the fleet and the 261 is what I was considering since it's a little lighter then the 362.
As far as lasting the longest, both should last many years.

Depends on the size/type of wood you'll be cutting really. If you'll be cutting 2' diameter stuff fairly often then get the 362. If an 18" bar would be enough to do everything you need than the 261 is a no brainer. sb47, have you looked at a 241 as an option for a second saw?

Depends on the size/type of wood you'll be cutting really. If you'll be cutting 2' diameter stuff fairly often then get the 362. If an 18" bar would be enough to do everything you need than the 261 is a no brainer. sb47, have you looked at a 241 as an option for a second saw?

I have a 362 and 290. I had a 391 but sold it because the 362 and 391 are basically the same size so I sold the 391 and kept the 362. I would like to have a smaller lighter saw to save my back on long work days.
I have not looked very hard yet and no I haven't looked at the 241. I had a 170, but I didn't like it. It seemed cheap and flimsy so I got rid of it.

A 24" bar is a little long for a 362. It'll pull it in soft wood but it's not fast. I felt it needed more oil even with the oiler turned up. The long bar makes the saw nose heavy. It's ok for occaisional use but for frequent buried 24" bar use I'd want a bigger saw. I mostly use an 18". A 20" would be perfect.

@teco what sizes and types of wood will you be cutting? What saws do you have now? A larger saw can cut larger wood and/or cut faster but it's also heavier so it wears you out faster. Also the 261 is a better deal between the two.

A 24" bar is a little long for a 362. It'll pull it in soft wood but it's not fast. I felt it needed more oil even with the oiler turned up. The long bar makes the saw nose heavy. It's ok for occaisional use but for frequent buried 24" bar use I'd want a bigger saw. I mostly use an 18". A 20" would be perfect.

@teco what sizes and types of wood will you be cutting? What saws do you have now? A larger saw can cut larger wood and/or cut faster but it's also heavier so it wears you out faster. Also the 261 is a better deal between the two.
White pine (fairly large trees. I would say 18 inch bar would be ideal for these), birch, red maple, aspen, beech

A 24" bar is a little long for a 362. It'll pull it in soft wood but it's not fast. I felt it needed more oil even with the oiler turned up. The long bar makes the saw nose heavy. It's ok for occasional use but for frequent buried 24" bar use I'd want a bigger saw. I mostly use an 18". A 20" would be perfect.

I mostly run the 20'' on all my saws. I do have a 24'' for occasional use but the 20 is my favorite. I only cut hard woods like red, post, live oak and pecan, hickory, mesquite. I don't down many trees and if I do they are not very big.

The little saw will be much nicer to handle. The “big” saw will do everything you need.

I ran only a good 50cc saw for many years. Most of my cutting is small stuff with an occasional 24-30”.

50cc saws are a pleasure to throw around. 60cc ones, not nearly as much.

1 saw plan: get the 60.

If it were me I would buy a brand new 50 and keep my eyes peeled for a good used 60-70.

If you get a good price on the 50, you will end up with two good saws for the price of one 60cc saw.

Phew! That was wordy. Sorry.

Ps, get a suitable bar size for either saw: 16-18” on the 50, 18-20” on the 60

The new edition MS261 is lighter and has a touch more HP than the first edition MS261. I don't see much difference between a 261 and 362 up to 20" bar/chain and beyond that it's time, as others have said for a 70cc saw.

I'm a noob, I came from a MS290 and bought a 362c and love it it handles a 20" bar well and is a real pleasure to run. It's got enough power that, I need to be mindful but not too much where I'm afraid of it. It's a great little saw. I hope that helps.

P.S. once I'm more proficient with the 362 and I have the work to warrant it.....I'd do a 462 and 241.

BR,

~TW

I'm a noob, I came from a MS290 and bought a 362c and love it it handles a 20" bar well and is a real pleasure to run. It's got enough power that, I need to be mindful but not too much where I'm afraid of it. It's a great little saw. I hope that helps.

P.S. once I'm more proficient with the 362 and I have the work to warrant it.....I'd do a 462 and 241.

BR,

~TW
A ported 241c and a ported 461R is a deadly 2-saw plan !

Hi,

I am looking at a new stihl saw. I can’t make my mind wether i should go with a MS261c or MS362c.

I can’t say I’m a professional user at this stage but would like to buy something that will last me a long time. I have a few big white pine trees to cut in the next few years so would like something that will be able to handle that.

I’m fairly new to chainsaws so was thinking the 261 would be ideal but the 362 has 10 more CCs so maybe that’ll give me more options in the future?
Here’s 2 vids of both saws in same wood same day ... hope this helps you make a decision https://youtu.be/3lowYBMhqAA?list=UUWspz651Idr66-bwu1RPOlg

Either will last you a long time. Depends if you want lighter and slower or heavier and faster.

I have a MS260 from 2005 and it has been great. I used it to cut a lot of big oak when it was all I had and it always came through, allthough slower than a 362 would.

If I had it to do over again I would have got the 362 first.

Thanks for the vids. Is the 261C modified?
You’re welcome ... the 261c has the cylinder decked and the combustion chamber modded as well as a dual-port muffler with internal baffle removed - seems like it responds well to this mod ... about 30% quicker cuts than stock ... can port it but imho the gains on this particular model aren’t as great ported as other saws achieve

So I happened to find a MS362CM 2017 used from a guy that buys and sells chainsaws in the side. Should I be worried buying a used Mtronic model?

Saw looks very clean and the price is 50% the price of a new one.

Back