Proud owner of new 372XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firewood Daddy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just purchased a shiny brand new 372XP. Just wondering if I should follow any break in procedures. Got some nice sized oak lined up for tomorrow morning. Do I take it easy on my new beast or just give it **** and have some fun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the new saw.

When I have a fresh rebuild I tune it slightly(like 2-300rpm) rich and run it hard. I will stop more often to heat cycle things on the first tank, but that just means switching to another saw if I have one. I really don't think any of it is necessary, it's just how I do it. After the 3rd or fourth tank of mix I will dial it back up.

I would check the RPM with a tach and set it to 12.5K-13K then run it like you borrowed it from your brother-in-law. After 2 or 3 tanks crank it up to 13.5 (it is probably rev limited) and continue to run it like you stole it.

^^^^^ It’s a tool made to work, no need to baby it, really. After the initial start and tune, where the paint and cleaning solutions are burned off, I like to give it a once over where I re torque all the screws and bolts while hot, paying particular attention to the exhaust bolts. Other than that, run it like it was meant to be run!:cool:

And then there’s the other philosophy:

Brand new bottom end; run it lightly and briefly (even just let it sit idling for several minutes until fully warm). Let it cool completely. Do this about 3 times, then run it like you stole it.

This does not break-in the top end optimally tho...

I have never done this as I was always told the saws were pre-run at the factory.

To the OP: one of the other things we used to do on a new 372xp was to hit all of the fasteners with a little lock tight. Good luck with your saw. One of my favorites and I own 6 or 7 of them in some form or another.

I just do the first 5 gallons with orange bottle stihl mixer (full dino), then full synthetic there on out.

I use non-ethanol high test and husquvarna mix oil. Find this is the best for all my 2 stroke equipment.

Ok the new saw is officially awesome!
Even though I had to use my 455 to free it when I pinched it when I was cutting up a leaner...lol

Latest posts

Back