Huztl 070 cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cre73

Always Lurking, never posting
Reaction score
873B4F71-0784-43E3-8F18-D219D544C13F.jpeg 644E583B-3DF5-44FF-9DDB-EF33D4FC4A2C.jpeg Ok built this kit last year. The cylinder that came with the saw had a minor defect on the wall. Received a partial refund. Ordered a Everest cylinder off eBay. Installed tuned and ran the saw a few times playing around. Fast forward a few months and couldn’t get saw to start. Assumed it was flooding, went through carb all looked good, still flooding. Replaced carb same issue. While trying to clear the cylinder with plug out noticed metal flakes on rag. Completed a compression test 125psi was 170+ when built. Pulled cylinder and found this. No noticeable damage to piston. Hopefully you can see the cracks. Thoughts.

I understand not everyone likes huztl here, but let’s remember this was not their cylinder or piston.
You said huztl in the title, and Everest in the thread. Is there a difference? It's all imported crap with poor quality control. Like I said, when you play with snakes.

Unbranded Chinese products, (and by unbranded I’m including dubious Chinese brands), are a crapshoot in terms of quality. Sometimes you get a bargain and sometimes you get burned.

Reputable brands like Milwaukee and Apple are generally able to ride herd on their Chinese manufacturing and somehow manage to reliably churn out high quality products. But without a reputable foreign company keeping track of things the quality is totally hit or miss.

I'd be checking the bottom end to see if the junk made it's way down there.
Did you chanfer the ports a tuch?
I found on most AM cylinders they need a little tuch up, like casting sand still in the ports,

Yes I smoothed out all the ports. The Everest cylinder actually looked really good at install. I plan on going ahead and using the cylinder from the kit that had a small blemish in the cylinder wall. If and when it fails I will probably try to find an 090 cylinder for it. I'm waiting on a gasket set now to put it together. I cleaned out the bottom end and did not see much of anything.

There are a few highly reputable sellers here in the states who supply aftermarket parts and will immediately replace any bad parts brought to their attention.
@Definitive Dave immediately comes to mind... as well as hl supply.

HL supply supplied the original kit, along with the refund due to not having another cylinder in stock at the time. Purchase was in January of this year. Just haven’t messed with the saw much, more of a toy and novelty to play with.

Back