562xp - throttle racing while idling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terpjr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
ok. Last question about my 562xp before I quit and bring it to a shop.

Posted about the saw not starting purge bulb not working except on the side- fuel line had a large hole in the tank at the base.

Got new fuel line, got manual, pulled carb, ran new fuel lines put it back together.

In removing the carb the first time, I bent that little metal clip that goes from the throttle to the spring at the base of the unit. Didn’t realize it bent, put it back together, started and ran, then seemed off, looked in and saw clip had come unhooked. Looked at some pics and realized it had a right angle in it which is why i couldn’t seem to get it right. Straightened it. Attempted to install in place. Couldn’t get it. Pulled carb, installed clip. Put everything back together. In doing that, snapped the little white nipple that goes on the air filter unit to the vent hose.

Posted about that since I can’t seem to figure what the heck that little nipple is called and can’t find it on a parts diagram. Glued the old one back together to hold me over. Put the saw back together and finally cut some wood. Had some massive locust so I ran it WOT for the requisite 4-5 min. Cut like a dream. Carb seems to be settling in.

Here is where I need help:

Sometimes when I take my finger off the trigger the saw doesn’t go to idle immediately, a couple times it slowly increases speed, if I put the nose into a log, lightly it slows right down to a stop. But then if I take out of the log, it starts to spin chain, sometimes racing. Sometimes it idles, acts normal.

So-what is my problem?

Is the clip I installed being bent and then straightened the issue? If it isn’t perfect, is that a problem?

Is the carb still just figuring itself out? Saw was probably running lean for a while as the fuel line was wearing a hole...

In my installations did I miss something? A spring or something?

The only thing I don’t know is whether or not something mechanical is happening with the throttle. I didn’t think to pull the cover and look while I was using.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Thanks. I Was wondering air leak.

Where could it be? In the lines or in the mount between carb and air filter housing?

Should I crank the mounting bolts a little tighter? I didn’t go too tight with them. Was trying to be careful.

Can’t remember carb # off the top of my head. I know it was later than the problematic ones. Will check tomorrow.

Update:
I tightened the carb mounting bolts and it seemed a little better but again started to race while idling once it warmed up.

When I was putting the cover back on, I noticed that the top two bolts which mount the muffler assembly were very loose, one was ready to fall out.

Could this be the source of the air leak? I would not think so since it is after the carb etc. but maybe? Just wondering.

Ok..I read it. Wow! Place an add.

"Saw owner seeking local gentlemen with like minded interests. Must be mechanically and sexually orintated.
....N...I'll buy the beer....

Sorry man, you are not batting' a 1000 here.
Yes when you pour the coals to it with a loose muffer it will race up hot. Do try to manual press the carb throw back with your finger if it still races.
The carb bolts may be overtightend, you end up with more proplems.

I would be a little more patient and watch some video's of your saw friend. I just see you taking three steps backward unfortunatly.
Try that stuff and see where you are at

Had a 550XP from one of my customers, it wouldn't idle. Would start, run perfect then die at idle. Most people would think carb issue, went over the carb front to back everything was fine there. The carb had been replaced twice (under warranty) replaced his ignition coil. Fixed the problem. Perform leakdown vac and pressure test, if it passes. If your pump diaphragm looks good and there is no obstructions. Place a spark tester on the plug and see what happens at idle. Basically air leak behind the carb, will bog and die, ahead of the carb will scream.

Air leaks anywhere the saw will scream, what i mean is there will be a high pitch sound (higher than normal) under rev.

Latest posts

Back