Any bee keepers in the house?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTM

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Don’t know if this is the correct forum or not. I have an old Catawba tree that has had a hive for at least 10 years probably more. I don’t want to disturb the bees but the problem is that the tree needs to come down, it is rotting at its base. So when it comes down I need to relocate the bees so they don’t decide to relocate in my house which is the next closest structure. I want to do it this winter so they won’t be too wound up. Any thoughts, advice, or suggestions? Thanks.

I would cut the tree down as far as you can and leave the section/trunk up, it would probably stand a few more years. I would also keep a couple boxes next to the tree with lemon grass oil inside the box to harvest extra colonies. These are the types of colonies that they suggest now harvesting as they have way better results in living.

C7D2DC69-799C-490F-8D1A-0C63F0149D6F.jpeg
This is the tree in the foreground. I don’t want to take off any more than I already have. The bees go in very near the top center leader. I’ll see if I can get some boxes. I would let it go on it’s own but it can hit the house.

Cut off similar or a little higher as marked, that way the branches left may keep the tree living yet. If you can keep it living it will last a long time yet.
Pix not very good but you get the idea.

Attachments

• Tree.jpg
    Tree.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 11
When I was a kid my grandpa would move bees around all the time. Are you sure you have honey bees or? He would put a fresh box where he wanted the hive to be then he would stock it with plenty of food. Some times he would build a smoky fire then take hand fulls and put them into the new nest. Me I have been fighting yellow jackets for a couple of months. Have tried most every thing. Now am starting to have success with some old fashioned traps. Thanks

I may know a little about bees. I used to haul bee hives between orange groves forty years ago. I want to keep them on my property. I have a beekeeper about a mile down the road. His position was to let’em alone. If I involve him then he’ll want the bees. I’ll probably trim up the tree a bit more.

Back