Is Emerald Ash Borer Flooding the firewood market?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ash maded a beautiful floor for this old GMC pick up.

I sure don't under stand how there are so many different options of the dead ASH. This one I cut down this Sept it has been dead 10 years I know but it also could have been dead a few years more. I should have marked them when they died.
As you can see it is good and solid yet. If I needed lumber I would have had it milled by the Amish folks.

Then some would argue the first picture was up the trunk is why ity is so solid yet. Well here is thre butt end from the same log.

I have had some come down in the spring storms and lay all summer, yet when I block them up for fire wood they are still solid.

Maybe there is different types of ash the Ash bore killed?

:D Al

ash on my property all dead and bark all sluffed off, the ones on the ground in shady spots rotton but the big ones still standing in spots where there is sunlight are solid. makes great firewood splits great.
ash is unique in that it can be steamed and bent used to make trout fishing nets for a long time, stuff like that, its strong and i dont think as heavy as oak.

Makes great snow shoes frames also. I have a lot of live stuff yet mostly the 2 to 4 inch dia stuff and totaly new growth from the seeds the trees produced the last year they were alive. they are thick and about thigh high this year.

:D Al

ash on my property all dead and bark all sluffed off, the ones on the ground in shady spots rotton but the big ones still standing in spots where there is sunlight are solid.
Funny that I live in the same area and most of my ash is still alive. I have cut a couple of 20+ inch round trees after they started losing leaves and limbs but still putting on green leaves every year. The last one I took down now has new sprouts coming from the old stump.

Have yet to see it hit here. I know in the MSP area it has been reported. I've had the UofM put boxes out on my property to see if they can catch the borer and a couple other invasive. We are mainly farm land so there isn't a ton of ash around. If it does hit I'll load up. Got a nice sunny 10 acre area to hold it.

woodfarmer, if you enlarge this picture you can see the punky spots in the ends of the logs. This is from a wetter section of the bush I'm logging. Most of the trees had about half of their leaves this year. Lots more branches falling down and lots of 6 to 10" trees falling over. I'm having a hard time keeping up with them. You can also see the marks from the chain tooth that caught the barb wire. Man, it's a grabby chain now, cuts to beat heck though.
View attachment 683749
I’m east of Oshawa, most of mine is still sound. Did a few tandem loads last winter, will have another one or two this winter.

Ours were good last year too but went bad fast in some spots of the bush. Township here is saying get them while you can. I expect there will be a lot cut down this winter especially if we have a low snowfall. Was a wet fall so not many properties were logged.

Latest posts

Back