Tips on burning unseasoned wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guy just found this one on cl posted today. Is it worth it I say no.

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/grd/d/firewood-barter-logs-business/6743493546.html
Need someone to cut and split wood ... you provide chainsaw and splitter and I can pay you in wood or $ ... figure $10 for each face cord you produce ... business opportunities for the right guy!

Anyone want to spend money to help this guy make money?

Hmm I make 20$ an hour and 50$+ an hour helping with side jobs so no for me.

Ok guy just found this one on cl posted today. Is it worth it I say no.

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/grd/d/firewood-barter-logs-business/6743493546.html
Need someone to cut and split wood ... you provide chainsaw and splitter and I can pay you in wood or $ ... figure $10 for each face cord you produce ... business opportunities for the right guy!

Anyone want to spend money to help this guy make money?

Hmm I make 20$ an hour and 50$+ an hour helping with side jobs so no for me.

**** no! Make that one a four and I'll think about it...unless he has a crap ton of elm or oak, then he's got my interest.

Just curious, you guys dont seem to use electricity for heating ? Costs are too high ? Here in Canada (quebec) this is mostly what people use. Around 0,08$ per kWh. I burn about 5-6 face cords a year, but I get my wood mostly for free. Here a face cord is around 100-110$, and I'm pretty sure electricity is cheaper if you have to pay for your wood.

About $0.20kw/hr here.

Not many people in my area use fuel oil for heat. Most are LP and Nat gas . Current LP I believe is around 1.60 a gal. Most people can get by on 1000 gal a year for LP. I figure the average on here is 7 to 10 cords of wood a winter. figure 7 cords at 350.00 a cord is $2450. That’s a lot of jack to babysit a wood stove. I have never heated solely with wood it’s always been supplementary heat because I enjoy cutting and working wood and the ambiance.

I have the fuel oil and lp options. Initial investment will take about another 1-2 years to pay off by heating with wood. My house is 4 degrees warmer than it used to be kept. Granted I don't pay for wood much. I did when I first started because I made the decision late and didn't have any dry stuff. Worked a deal and bought some mixed hardwoods for 70 a cord I pickup and 10 cords of logs that had been sitting for 8 years at 80 a cord. Honestly if I found someone selling some nice split oak for $100-110 a cord I'd buy 20 cord right now. Probably even ash or birch for that. Tough to find but my buddy got 8 cord of split oak for $100 a cord in August.

I wouldn't quit cutting. I'd still stockpile, But value is value,

To me that's the only way that makes sence to buy wood. Get it cheap and stock pile it. Get a good deal on a load or 2 of logs and cut it and split it. Yea its work but wood burning is work and it's a lot cheaper than 10 cord of split wood delivered. A lot of people like to pay a lot more for the wood because they are lazy or dont want to deal with doing work. That's where you lose all the value of wood heat.

Just curious, you guys dont seem to use electricity for heating ? Costs are too high ? Here in Canada (quebec) this is mostly what people use. Around 0,08$ per kWh. I burn about 5-6 face cords a year, but I get my wood mostly for free. Here a face cord is around 100-110$, and I'm pretty sure electricity is cheaper if you have to pay for your wood.

No way, here. 0.18/kWh. We have an electric boiler for backup. I figure it would cost about $30/day to heat full time with it. Still way ahead even if buying wood.

To me that's the only way that makes sence to buy wood. Get it cheap and stock pile it. Get a good deal on a load or 2 of logs and cut it and split it. Yea its work but wood burning is work and it's a lot cheaper than 10 cord of split wood delivered. A lot of people like to pay a lot more for the wood because they are lazy or dont want to deal with doing work. That's where you lose all the value of wood heat.

I suppose the "value" isn't the same to everyone.

It doesn't have to do with being lazy or not wanting to work. There's tons of reasons. If you hire a mechanic to work on your car, a contractor to remodel a kitchen in your house, a plumber to fix a frozen pipe, etc does that make you lazy?
Going from a standing tree to wood ready for the stove is quite a bit of work and takes equipment and skill that not all people are interested in buying or learning about.

Some people I bring wood to just like to have a wood fire, regardless if it's cheap or not. I've brought $1000+ of wood out to people that just burned in an outdoor firepit.

Others depends on it for heat, and even with buying processed and delivered wood, it's still a fair bit cheaper than fuel oil, propane or electricity.

It doesn't have to do with being lazy or not wanting to work. There's tons of reasons. If you hire a mechanic to work on your car, a contractor to remodel a kitchen in your house, a plumber to fix a frozen pipe, etc does that make you lazy?
Going from a standing tree to wood ready for the stove is quite a bit of work and takes equipment and skill that not all people are interested in buying or learning about.

Some people I bring wood to just like to have a wood fire, regardless if it's cheap or not. I've brought $1000+ of wood out to people that just burned in an outdoor firepit.

Others depends on it for heat, and even with buying processed and delivered wood, it's still a fair bit cheaper than fuel oil, propane or electricity.

VF, that is honestly the best post of yours that I've ever read. Well said.

I get it if you want to buy some wood for recreational use. I couldn't afford to buy 3 cords of wood at 375 a cord. For that price I could buy 2 more tanks of propane and not do any work. I chose to do the work it takes to supplement my heat with wood to not spend that money. At the end of the day the value is the same for me and the fire wood salesman, money in the pocket.

Today's day and age go heat pump if you are going electric. Refrigeration is a cool thing and heat pumps work in much lower temps then they used to.

I am getting a pair of Daikins installed at this very moment. Should be up & running before the day is over - hopefully. I like doing wood but time is getting harder & harder to find every year. So this should take the shoulder season wood out of the equation. And give cheaper backup heat in winter. And keep us cool in the summer.

I get it if you want to buy some wood for recreational use. I couldn't afford to buy 3 cords of wood at 375 a cord. For that price I could buy 2 more tanks of propane and not do any work. I chose to do the work it takes to supplement my heat with wood to not spend that money. At the end of the day the value is the same for me and the fire wood salesman, money in the pocket.
Bingo...

Well I guess I owe u an apology I did not realize you changed your user name or I would have had a bit more respect...lol

Latest posts

Back