Stihl 051

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I bought a 051 av eq and cleaned it up and it runs. Any reason to modify it? It has a 26" bar. It's way more saw than i need. I usually do muffler mod on my saws but does this saw need it? I haven't cut with it yet. I know these saws will pull a 5 foot bar.

I really doubt a 90cc saw will pull a 60" bar.
It would more than likely have a very hard time with a 42" bar.
Stihl rated it for a 30" bar...
Just saying.

Smoothing out the ports and crankcase along with slightly advancing the timing will usually improve performance.

I don't plan on running a bigger bar anyways or using the saw a ton. It weighs like 30 pounds. I was wondering if it needed modification or gained a great deal of power from some simple mods like some saws do.

yes, there is reason to modify it. Plug the limiter on the carb. Grind the sides off the the piston beneath the piston port windows so its flat. And enlarge the piston port windows downward. Make all of the intake block / gaskets / heat shield all match the cylinder intake. Hack open the muffler and gut it....slap the hacked piece back on.....make the muffler flange and muffler gasket match the cylinder exhaust port. Runs way better after all of that....runs like a 90cc saw should. Also can slap a 3/8 bar and chain on there since most come with 404

Corporate Slave is on to something. Ran one myself with a 36" bar buried through Doug fir. Cut the whole large half of that tree with that saw.

Back