Chainsaw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barclay berberian

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Probably should post this in the tree cutting forums but you all may be able to help!

Looking for advice on a used medium duty saw. How do the 028/280/290/310 compare? Another one I should consider?

Thanks!

Get the MS290. When you want to upgrade or don't need it anymore it's the easiest of the lot to shift.
Plenty of spares, new, used and aftermarket, it won't win any race but it will cut reliably for many years to come with minimal care (basically don't straight gas it and don't leave the fuel in the tank for months at an end).
It doesn't get much love here but there's a very good reason Stihl sold millions of them.

Don’t overlook the Echo cs590...

You can get one new for the price of a used Husky or Stihl, and they’re a darn decent saw for the money.

Unfortunately, you pretty much have to retune the carburetor before you run it much because it is pretty lean as it comes from Japan. If you can find a proper saw shop that sells Echo, they should be able to look after you on that if you don’t feel comfortable doing it yourself. Try to get a re-tune (and a lesson) thrown in to the deal. I may be underestimating your familiarity. Sorry if that’s the case.

Do a little more research and the answer will come to you.

For casual use, there are a lot of good saws that will last plenty long (virtually forever) whether “pro” or “ranch”.

Husqvarna 455 Rancher or Echo cs590 Timberwolf (or cs600).
Lot of new+used 455 Ranchers and echo cs590 on ebay for less than $400.
I run both saws w/20" b/c and they have good if not great anti-vibe, oil well, both have good power. Slight nod to the Echo in power. Husky feels a bit smoother handling.

What you have listed get the 290. A little heavy, but a good saw. Lots of parts, easy to work on and up-gradable. The ones with the "1" on the end are the EPA saws and IMO I would rather have one older in good shape.

Back