Kinetic splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing how you have a hydro already. I would invest in a bigger pump, engine and maybe a dump valve for return stroke. You can be into the 26gpm range for less then $1000. Especially if your using a Chineese engine from harbor freight.

If you didn’t have either, I would be looking at a kinetic fir my first and only. Anything that the kinetic couldn’t do, I would just noodle it till it could. And then get one with the electric motor, so it’s quiet. The older I get the less I enjoy noisy environments, regardless of hearing protection.

His splitter already has a 25gpm pump. Considering his splitter has a 9.5 second cycle time, and is rated at 40 tons with a 25 gpm pump, he should be able to easily run 4 way wings and spilt everything he will come across pretty quickly. I'd invest the 3 grand in the new dump trailer he wants.

The wedge on my splitter is just as narrow as the one on kinetic splitters, It doesn't tear the wood ether.

Looks much wider than a SS wedge. Wedge design looks about the same as my DHT. I'm not knocking your splitter as I have both a kinetic and hydraulic. Like them both but the kinetic is much more efficient in most capacities. I was skeptical until I bought one but after using it the speed difference becomes apparent. Even when I compare it to my buddies splitter that is a clone of a TW-6.

And I should add it probably isn't for everybody. If you can split with ease using what you have and another piece of equipment (dump trailer) would make your business more profitable that would be the way I would lean. For me the SS was a way I could cut my splitting time and allow me to free up time doing other things. I like to cut a big pile of rounds than spend a day splitting. The SS is quick enough that the only thing that slows me down is tiredness.

What gets me is the cost of the 3 point splitters for your tractor or the ones that attach to a skid steer. They have no axle, no hydraulic tank, no engine, no wheels and tires, no pump yet they still cost $1500. How can they justify that price?

His splitter already has a 25gpm pump. Considering his splitter has a 9.5 second cycle time, and is rated at 40 tons with a 25 gpm pump, he should be able to easily run 4 way wings and spilt everything he will come across pretty quickly. I'd invest the 3 grand in the new dump trailer he wants.

How about a twin engine, twin pump design. Lol

I do like the idea of spending the money else where to stay profitable.

25gpm and 9.5 sec.

I'd look at a larger red cylinder, that will really quicken the return stroke.

I'm running a 30gpm pump for the splitter and has a cycle of about 4.5 cycle.
If you ask me, it's borderline slow, a round 3 sec would ideal.

25gpm and 9.5 sec.

I'd look at a larger red cylinder, that will really quicken the return stroke.

I'm running a 30gpm pump for the splitter and has a cycle of about 4.5 cycle.
If you ask me, it's borderline slow, a round 3 sec would ideal.

There comes a point where you can't physically keep pace with a supper fast splitter. You still have to load rounds up on the splitter and that takes time. 9.5 sec is plenty fast when splitting large rounds. Now if I could run the big rounds through my hydraulic splitter and get them down to a smaller size, then run the smaller stuff through a kinetic splitter then that might speed up production. However the price of those kinetic splitters just don't seem worth the money as far as what materials and components there made with.

So whats the best kinetic splitter out there?

I think the overwhelming majority will agree with this, as do I.

SUPER SPLIT is the best by far. Then everyone else is a very distant 3rd or 4th place.

Many others have tried to copy the design once the patents ran out, but most have had to recall their machines. The rack gear seems to be the biggest issue others have.
With that said, I do like some of the features other copycat companies have made, such as a better beam bearing, being road towable, and a log lift. (Hint, hint Supersplit). You can get into a Honda powered J model for $2,500 and some change right now.

I’ve had my super splitter for 12-13yrs. It’s spit thousands of cords. Well worth the 3k price tag. If it was 5k and I needed another I would buy it. I split very small cook wood. Hydraulic would take way to long. Even a fast one. For fast production without getting a processor these things are hands down the best. I put an old grain elevator at the end of mine. Really works well.

Scott

There comes a point where you can't physically keep pace with a supper fast splitter. You still have to load rounds up on the splitter and that takes time. 9.5 sec is plenty fast when splitting large rounds. Now if I could run the big rounds through my hydraulic splitter and get them down to a smaller size, then run the smaller stuff through a kinetic splitter then that might speed up production. However the price of those kinetic splitters just don't seem worth the money as far as what materials and components there made with.

Is a new pickup worth 75k? It's all relative in today's market.

I had a 98 2500 Dodge diesel, new was about 38k, thought that was crazy expensive.
Can't even buy a 1/2 ton fas job for that now.

I know it's nuts. Had a customer in the other day with a new truck that cost $90k. Insane.

Not to derail this thread but how do these kinetic splitters hold up in the knotty stuff? I have never used one but if it hits a big knot and doesn't want to split it, something has to give.

Not to derail this thread but how do these kinetic splitters hold up in the knotty stuff? I have never used one but if it hits a big knot and doesn't want to split it, something has to give.
The wedge is quite thin on these kinetic splitters, thin and sharp, so it just cuts through knots and everything. The way they slice through stringy, knotty pieces is impressive.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

I usually run mine at half throttle and it rips through it all good. If I come across an elm crotch or knot I bump the throttle speed up and I usually don't have a problem. Some of the nasty you just double hit. Haven't had a piece it won't handle yet and I get some box elder and elm nasties.

North American made kinetics are expensive because you're paying fair labor wages for the entire manufacturing process and paying for 95% US sourced components that support people like eveyone here. None of us want to work for $3/hr, so why should the people building your splitter? I'm going to assume most people here average at least $20+/hr at their job. Even that is hard to support a house and family on in this age if the Mrs isn't working also.

I'm in the process of designing an enlarged kinetic splitter that I plan to build a prototype of next year. It will be highway towable, log lift, 10hp diesel, and 30-36" log capacity. Using all USA sourced parts except for the rims, cast iron flywheels, and engine, I'm at approximately $2k in parts alone before a single thing is touched or welded. I expect to retail it around $4-4.5k. Yes thats expensive, but it's cheaper than a $5-7k timberwolf for someone who is going to be doing 25+ cords a year. My super split has been absolutely fantastic after 70+ cords now, but for the guy running a hungry owb who wants 24-30" splits, I feel there is much room for improvement.

North American made kinetics are expensive because you're paying fair labor wages for the entire manufacturing process and paying for 95% US sourced components that support people like eveyone here. None of us want to work for $3/hr, so why should the people building your splitter? I'm going to assume most people here average at least $20+/hr at their job. Even that is hard to support a house and family on in this age if the Mrs isn't working also.

I'm in the process of designing an enlarged kinetic splitter that I plan to build a prototype of next year. It will be highway towable, log lift, 10hp diesel, and 30-36" log capacity. Using all USA sourced parts except for the rims, cast iron flywheels, and engine, I'm at approximately $2k in parts alone before a single thing is touched or welded. I expect to retail it around $4-4.5k. Yes thats expensive, but it's cheaper than a $5-7k timberwolf for someone who is going to be doing 25+ cords a year. My super split has been absolutely fantastic after 70+ cords now, but for the guy running a hungry owb who wants 24-30" splits, I feel there is much room for improvement.

Whitbread Looking forward to seeing this please start a thread with lot of pictures. I think there is a market out there for that type of a machine if one can make one that will hold up and not get too high priced.

Back