Makita ducs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foeke

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys,
My Stihl 200t has kind of given up on me. One of the problems is it stalls after it gets hot.
Having restarted the thing to many times while in tricky positions (even though starting a 200t is very light) made me think, maybe explosionpower is not the best way to go when doing acrobatics between the branches.
Now I see good reviews on the makita duc 252/302 saws, and I like the idea of instant on and also instant off.
Thing is, the reviews are from people who do light pruning. Or are afraid of noises. Or don't have the strenght for a gaspowered chainsaw.
I am looking for the opinion from somebody who works (semi) profesionally with these things.
Would you leave your 200t in your truck and go up a tree with 36V powering your chain?
My usecase for the 200t is trimming Pollard Willow (3 meter high) a lot and some big Tilia. Both types get stripped from all branches every so many years.
Really curious about your feedback.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The MS200T is notorious for going through carburetors faster than most saws, and carburetor rebuilds do not always go well.
Your problems could probably be solved, cheaply and easily, by going that way, but the MS200T gurus will be on the case shortly.

Regarding battery-powered top handle saws... I've checked into the Makita's and Hitachi's battery saws last year. Very similar in design. My opinion is they are only good for light duty jobs, surely not for a professional. It's not a matter of performances but of durability: the chain tensioner and bar stud mounts are flimsy and I have no idea how long they can hold up in the field.
Stihl's and Husqvarna's are much better: their pro-grade battery saws are really pro-grade, and they have a price tag to boot. Just know the Stihl's use a puny 1/4" chain...

PS: which side of the Atlantic Ocean is your DE? ;)

Yes, I know about those carbs. I have it for quite some time. So I've been trough some already. They don't like doing nothing in summer I think. Sure we can fix it. Just through enough recources at it.

Thanks for the feedback! Is that also the case for the new DUC range?
Reading the reviews, the older LT 's are called flimsy ones and a while. Didn't read that feedback about the DUC range.
That's what made me wonder.
I know some plasics are very durable and I am no AVE (youtube guru that knows about plastics in tools).
I do live on the right side of the atlantic (pun intended). Dutchy living in Germany. So spot on.

Yes, I know about those carbs. I have it for quite some time. So I've been trough some already. They don't like doing nothing in summer I think. Sure we can fix it. Just through enough recources at it.

Reading the reviews, the older LT 's are called flimsy ones and a while. Didn't read that feedback about the DUC range.
I know some plasics are very durable and I am no AVE (youtube guru that knows about plastics in tools).
I do live on the right side of the atlantic (pun intended). Dutchy living in Germany. So spot on.

If you like orange and don't mind being an early adopter, Dolmar has just launched a nice battery saw. It uses Makita 18V 3.0Ah batteries and is made like a proper top handle, without all that flimsy plastic: https://www.dolmar.de/produkte/akkugeraete/18_v_-_3_0_ah/as1925z/index.html
I left it out because it's so new I forgot about it. :dumb:
Downsides: it's brand new, so no idea how it will hold up long term. But it's a Dolmar, usually they are as tough as nails. Also it's rather expensive, especially considering you need to buy battery and charger separately, kinda like the Stihl's.
Of course if like blue I am sure the Makita version will appear shortly, but I've always heard red and orange saws cut faster.

PS: since you are on the right side of the Atlantic drop me a line if you want to get rid of that old MS200T.

Just checked the Husky prices.
Crazy. The normal one is arround the same price as the Makita. But the onehanded, more than twice that.
I can't see how that is related to the quality.
I need the onhandedness. Otherwise I would use my trusted 353 (wich I now mostly use, also higher up).
Did anybody try the duc252z or duc302z (or Dolmar equvalent) for some actual hot supper?

Cool! I didn't find that saw yet. Dolmar/Makita. Same thing. I just buy the cheapest one.

From what I found, that Dolmar is the same as the makita DUC254Z and Makita labels it as the "normal" range.
The DUC252Z is the "profi" range.
Profi must be better, isn't it? (Rethorical)

I must say I like the dual battery aproach. It will ensure you are not stressing the batteries to much (considering you will on average use a chainsaw at full throttle for longer than a screwdriver).
Or they doubled the power output.

He's a funny puke for a Canukastanian. AvE that is...

Latest posts

Back