Looking to purchase a chainsaw in the near future for cutting firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should clarify i did not mean to specify a brand. I know Stihl are good as is Husqvarna. I meant to say pick someone who treats you well and you are comfortable dealing with.

The guy that treated us well has gotten all of our business.
Stihl and Husqvarna are the two major brands and both have great saws. Shihl dealers and shihl parts are easier to find in my neck of the woods. That was the major factor for my choice of brand. Husqvarna is almost non existent in my area. I've never needed any repairs so far, but finding bars, chains, sprockets was most important for me. As for a quality saw I don't favor ether brand. Both have good stuff.

I run a husqvarna 450 (50cc) with 18 and 16 inch bars, and I believe that it cuts really well for what it is, being only a homeowner saw not professional, I personally would stay away from all the auto tune stuff that’s coming out although I’ve heard much good about it, it’s always mostly bad that you hear.. I’m from Australia so I don’t get oak logs as frequently as you blokes in the US but over here I bury my 18 inch bar into ironbarks which are arguably one of the hardest woods in Australia, as long as you keep the chain sharp you should be fine with just about any 50-70cc saw (70 would be an overkill but if you’re going to be using it for other things it would be alright. Another thing is how long you plan to cut for In one go, I wouldn’t buy a 65cc if i knew I was only cutting 18” logs for 4+ hours at a time I’d save myself a few pounds, whatever you choose should be alright though,

Speaking as a homeowner heating with firewood, my 455 Rancher cuts most of my firewood. It's a smooth running and cutting saw, the AV is really nice, I can run it for hours no problem. Is good on gas too.
I use an Echo cs-600p (~Timberwolf cs-590) too and it's a damn nice saw for the money. Has a bit more power than my Rancher being it's 60cc. AV is also nice on it, can run it for hours as well. Both Rancher and Echo running 20" bars in mostly oak.

See my saws in my sig. I cut about 4-6 cords a year of whatever I can scrounge. The MS210 is a surprising performer, and, of course, the MS261 is a nice workhorse. I don't get into wood much bigger than 20" or so, so this combination works good for me.

I got my preference for Stihl in the Pacific NW, but I've owned some old Husqvarna and Homelites that were good saws too. The local Stihl dealer(Janneys Hardware) has also done me good in the past, and parts, if needed, are easy to find, so I've stayed with Stihl.

Thanks for all the info fellers, as it stands right now I'm going to borrow my father in-laws Farm Boss until I get a couple cords sold then I'll buy myself a good saw. Leanning towards a good Sthil or Husquavarna. I've been seeing them on craigslist around here for around $200.

Thanks for all the info fellers, as it stands right now I'm going to borrow my father in-laws Farm Boss until I get a couple cords sold then I'll buy myself a good saw. Leanning towards a good Sthil or Husquavarna. I've been seeing them on craigslist around here for around $200.

I see your new to the site, and welcome. Be careful buying a used saw. It can be risky if you don't know what to look for. If you've been around saws for awhile then you probably do.

I picked up a stihl MS260 for $160 a couple years ago. When ever I'm buying a saw, I'll usually buy used but I bring my compression tester. I run a 20" bar on it and it does pretty good. I'm on the hunt for an MS 661 but not in a rush.

Echo CS590...I think the best bang for the buck....5 year consumer warranty and will run a 26'' bar with ease :)

I picked up a stihl MS260 for $160 a couple years ago. When ever I'm buying a saw, I'll usually buy used but I bring my compression tester. I run a 20" bar on it and it does pretty good. I'm on the hunt for an MS 661 but not in a rush.
I just told your story to my Stihl 026 PRO that I paid $200 for three years ago:
Stihl 026 PRO-2.JPG
She's terribly jealous. So am I.

Don't forget the used market. I am a tinkerer so I don't avoid things with a problem or two. I have only bought my first saw new (Pouland Pro) for over $300.
All my other saws I got used.
Dolmar 116si for $150 (needed a spark plug and good fuel.)
Homelight of unknown model for free (had oil in the fuel tank and gas in the oil tank.)
Jonsered 2051 turbo $60 ( was partially disassembled to replace the handle spring and the guy could not get it back together)
Jonsered 2050 turbo $30 (not running, needs either spark plug or coil)
Jonsered 2238 (made by Pouland) $10 (not running, haven't looked at it yet to know if it is fuel are fire issue.)
All of these are wearing a 18-20" bar (except the Pouland) and and again excluding the Pouland I spent $250 on 5 saws.
I also saw a used 026 in my local dealer for $225 last week. Deals are out there if you know what you are looking for. For less money than you spend at big box mart for a disposable saw, you can get a pro saw and a kit to sharpen your chain and even a spare chain or two.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nice saw there wood doctor. In all fairness the screw on the chain brake lever was snapped off so I got a few bucks off. Drilled and tapped it out at home and it's been fine for the last two years. just put a new bar and chain on it a about a month ago.

for the simple reason that all my saws are worked hard and put away wet/dirty 5-6 days a week and have found that for me stihl lasts the longest
Can I ask what other brand /model you've used & have you added up the amount of $ bills you have had to pull from your pocket + if you rely on a saw for whatever reason why put it away wet/dirty & uncared for or so minuets at days end with compressed air gun will up the resale value Do you rely on your saw to make a living ?

Can I ask what other brand /model you've used & have you added up the amount of $ bills you have had to pull from your pocket + if you rely on a saw for whatever reason why put it away wet/dirty & uncared for or so minuets at days end with compressed air gun will up the resale value Do you rely on your saw to make a living ?
that might have been a bit of brand bashing on my part,my current work saw is a husqvarna 560xp which I really like, there's a couple of main brand saws here but oleo Mac's rising in popularity mainly due to them being a very robust design, I like stihl for the simple reason that parts are cheap and readily available with very good dealer support in my area. Yes my saws pay my wages, I cut professionally 5 sometimes 6 days a week, I never sell any saws when I get a new 1, there usually quite work worn so I usually give them away if I don't need the parts for my new saws, I ger my air filter blown out twice daily and give them a quick rub down now and again

that might have been a bit of brand bashing on my part,my current work saw is a husqvarna 560xp which I really like, there's a couple of main brand saws here but oleo Mac's rising in popularity mainly due to them being a very robust design, I like stihl for the simple reason that parts are cheap and readily available with very good dealer support in my area. Yes my saws pay my wages, I cut professionally 5 sometimes 6 days a week, I never sell any saws when I get a new 1, there usually quite work worn so I usually give them away if I don't need the parts for my new saws, I ger my air filter blown out twice daily and give them a quick rub down now and again
I service kit for a commercial concern trying to make a few bob we have 3 full time fallers with a choice of 10 assorted size saws 2 with the most hours on are traded every 2 years & I try to keep them up together so we get the best allowance against a new saw parts were we are (Stihl)are the most expensive of all brands overall & we have had less problems with Husky in terms of replacement parts+ the fallers are happier with them To me a single saw brand is never the be all to end all they all have good & less good models I am a fan of the pre Efco Oleo Macs & prof model Alpina's for my own use i always buy "kaput" units & fix up my latest "find was 4 various badged 244F's Oleo Macs /Vap44F for 20€'s a total spend of 57€'s& I have 3 running/cutting saws & 1 for parts I have a guy coming tomorrow to look & chose one for 50€'s for me they are the dog's dodahs for fire wood cutting light lively with muffler mod A/V & very limited plastic wise but each to his own

Latest posts

Back