Oleo Mac 251 coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phill. C.

Reaction score
I have this old 251 points ignition Oleo Mac chainsaw. The coil has failed and because of its age parts are now obsolete. I find it hard to believe that the coil in this unit only fits this make and model out of all the hundreds of brands out there. For a start Oleo Mac are also branded as Olympic, Castor, Nauder, Efco and Emak. Seems a real shame to bin a perfectly good chainsaw for the lack of a coil. Someone out the must surely know of a solution.

I have found and switched many coils over the years just by sight. Can you post a pict of the coil and its mounting screws? Many guys on here have handled many makers saws and just might recognize it by seeing it.

It was a while back but I used a Homelite points coil fitted to the Oleo Mac laminations .ISTR I had to pack the lams with an extra couple of spring steel packers not sure but it could have been for a 150? when it was up & running I fitted a NOVA 2 chip & removed the points/condenser

There are still a few of those Selettra coils to be found as NOS: they were basically the same across many Oleomac, OPEM and Efco chainsaws. They aren't cheap at about €30-35 a pop plus shipping, but aren't exactly hen teeth.

Supposedly the coil for the Efco 147/152 will fit the 951 If this is so Scott at chainsaw r has new units in stock not bargain priced though A search possibly comes up with a cheaper price /unit if you bring up google coil for Efco 152 pictures to compare to your fitted kaput unit

Senior citizen moment, meaning I've just remembered one thing.

If you just need the coil and not the condenser, it's the same across most pre-electronic ignition chainsaws made by EMAK, meaning Oleomac, Efco, Folux, Olimpic, OPEM, Mondial etc. They all used the same Selettra coil with different spark plug caps and mounting brackets.
You are looking forward to somewhat like this (ignore the price): https://www.ebay.it/itm/09077-BOBIN...=item282b3b2a2b:g:uAAAAOSw2gxYnOOq:rk:10:pf:0

Well thanks all for the replies. I know have some hope of finding one. Will post a pic of the coil (once I work out how to doe that)

Latest posts

Back