Remington SL 9 chainsaw starter problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosemaster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm working on an old Remington SL 9 chainsaw with a (I'm assuming a Fairbanks Morse) stater recoil. I'm having the problem with the stater is not catching to turn the engine over. Does anybody have any parts for this saw or know where I could get some? Or if anybody has the complete recoils starter they would part with please let me know. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Upon further inspection on this saw; the cup that bolts to the flywheel that the starter pawls engage in has cut slots in it and they look fairly worn out. Would anybody have another starter cup that bolts to the flywheel? Thanks

Upon further inspection on this saw; the cup that bolts to the flywheel that the starter pawls engage in has cut slots in it and they look fairly worn out. Would anybody have another starter cup that bolts to the flywheel? Thanks
You really should put up some pics. As your only hope is to hopefully find parts from other brands that might work.

Thanks Harley T; I'll get that part I'm needing from the man I'm working on his saw and take some pictures of what I'm needing. Again Thanks Harley T

Make sure the friction washers are completely dry, and sharpen the pawls with a grinding wheel.

Do the above and then make sure you have the dawgs in right. With the rewind off the saw pull the rewind cord and see if the dawgs come out right with the points in the direction the rewind is turning. If the don't take the dawgs of and turn them over, when this is done put the rewind on the saw, but do not tighten the screws, pull the rewind if the dawgs catch then tighten the screws, If this doesn't work use a dremel and a dental bur and refresh the groves in the cup. If this does not work you will have to have a new cup or dawgs or both. Tom

I'm sorry; I see where the problem is in one of my posts. I meant to say; do you know where I can get a cup and new pawls.Sorry for the mix-up.

If you really want to fix that chainsaw, your best bet is to look for a non-working saw to use as a spare hulk.
If I remember correctly the same starter is also used on the SL10 and SL14, so those are two other saws you should keep an eye out for.
Why the spare hulk? Because it's going to be much cheaper than the detached parts and chances are you'll be able to scavenge more parts to keep at hand just in case. Non-running saws such as the SL9 (generally not seen as a collector's item) can be had for as little as $30 in yard sales, and don't forget many members here have sheds full of non-working saws they may be willing to let go for a little contribution to the "present project" fund. ;)

Thanks for the info. Where would I need to go on the forum to request an interest for one of those saws you. mentioned? Thanks again for the help.

Thanks for the info. Where would I need to go on the forum to request an interest for one of those saws you. mentioned? Thanks again for the help.

The key is just patience.
Post a request in the Classified sections and wait: some of the biggest collectors/hoarders are not daily visitors.
Also keep an eye on local classifieds and if the weather is still good for yard sales in your area, those are another good place.
Finally it may be a good idea to see if you have any old small engine repair shop in your area. The older and more rustic looking, the better: they rarely throw away anything but really badly scored pistons.

Again be patient: it took me over a year to source parts for an old Zenoah, and I found them only because while on the road I saw a Husqvarna dealership that seemed frozen in the 70's and inquired inside. Really nice people to boot.

You should not need to replace that starter cup, there's likely an issue with the friction washers and/or pawls.
If the friction washers get ANY oil or grease on them, they will not work properly. Also, if the pawls/dogs are not sharpened properly, then they won't engage the starter cup as well as they should.
I have many saws with worn starter cups, some to the point where the slots are gone (if there were any to begin with), and the starter still works just as it should, because the friction washers are dry and the pawls/dogs have been properly sharpened.
Just my $.02

Back