I just ruined a cylinder with a piston stop tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the crank turns @ 12,000 rpms, how is the turning of an impact device going to produce more shock than that?

Yes, but that is a continuous pressure where the impact wrench is a impact and release then another impact. My 2 cents worth and that will buy you 2 cents worth of anything you want. Tom

the crank turns @ 12,000 rpms, how is the turning of an impact device going to produce more shock than that?

Yes, but that is a continuous pressure where the impact wrench is a impact and release then another impact. My 2 cents worth and that will buy you 2 cents worth of anything you want. Tom

Just to play devils advocate, you don't think that an explosion every revolution, immediately applying force in the opposite direction is pretty synonymous with an impact gun?

I don't really see an issue - it takes a minute to seat the piston stop and if you do that right there's virtually no risk to the piston or cylinder. Let me qualify that actually, the less common 90 degree threaded stops are more dangerous but as far as I know not really necessary anymore. They (Stihl) have the plastic stops that just squish between the crown and head.
I can see that Harley's method would save a couple minutes if you were looking for an air leak, though... I think it's great - got a new way to try something. Of course since I never use power tools I'll have to go hunting around the shop when I Need one.

I don't really see an issue - it takes a minute to seat the piston stop and if you do that right there's virtually no risk to the piston or cylinder. Let me qualify that actually, the less common 90 degree threaded stops are more dangerous but as far as I know not really necessary anymore. They (Stihl) have the plastic stops that just squish between the crown and head.
I can see that Harley's method would save a couple minutes if you were looking for an air leak, though... I think it's great - got a new way to try something. Of course since I never use power tools I'll have to go hunting around the shop when I Need one.
Why not shove in 6" of recoil rope as a piston stop? Never seen that harm a piston top

Well I've done that before, it'll work in a pinch but if the debate comes down to taking the spark plug out and blocking the cylinder or impacting it off with the plug in place I'd go with the piston stops before I'd use rope.

I use this guy and it works great. Haven’t had any issues with it. Pretty cheap for a Stihl product too

Attachments

• 6EEFBF57-FF01-4FDF-9717-38F17C8E34F7.jpeg
    6EEFBF57-FF01-4FDF-9717-38F17C8E34F7.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 4
Back