Stihl MS250C died. Now won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yawiney

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought this one just days ago used. First time owner of a chainsaw.
Went for the easy pull due to a bad shoulder and the regular MS250 being really painful to pull.
Was cutting some big rounds to fit in the wood stove.
I t was running cutting smaller stuff for about 30 min, then got into the big ones.
Ran out of fuel, then, after re-fueling and adding bar oil and after going thru a few of the bigger ones it died while cutting.
I went to re-start and nothing. No sound. Just that yo-yo like pull of the easy start. Seemed to have less tension.
Waited another 20 min and tried again.
Tried putting on choke and still nothing.
Pulled plenty times on regular start position.
Doesn't smell flooded.
I hope i didn't push the thing too hard and kill it going into those big rounds.

If you have spark pull the muffler and check the condition of the piston and rings. WAIT, did you buy this saw new at a dealer? If yes then take it back, that’s what the warranty is for.

Are you saying that when pulling the pull rope, it’s as if there was nothing inside the motor turning over? As in, no “resistance” ? If so.... maybe the starter pawl(s) broke and the pull start isn’t engaging into the flywheel.

The Stihl MS250C is a notorious flooder. I have one that a widow sold me after her late husband spent $440 to buy and get serviced because it never started right. The dealer could not fix it either but added a hundred bucks to their cost. I have it running today after numerous carb adjustments. Regardless, it's easy to flood. Just pull it on choke for three or four times. If you pull it even only twice on choke after a prime, it will flood. It will then fail to unflood itself if pulled at the off-choke setting.

Frustrating, to say the least.

^ When it died i tried again on start first a couple times before i used choke. Not sure if it's possible to flood by overheating while cutting. If so, what to do to unfold it?

Are you saying that when pulling the pull rope, it’s as if there was nothing inside the motor turning over? As in, no “resistance” ? If so.... maybe the starter pawl(s) broke and the pull start isn’t engaging into the flywheel.
Kinda felt like that even when it was working, but more so i think now. That 'easy start' is hard to get used to but better on my arm.
Is that something that could happen from over-heating or having too much of the blade buried in there?

It was bought used for 150$. The owner had a shoulder injury like mine and i think he gave me a great deal.
Wasn't for sale but i talked um into it and it had just been serviced and checked.
I could still go back there though. Just didn't want to bother them if it was something i can sort myself.

Well, to rule out my suggestion, just remove the plug, and pull the rope slowly. Look into the spark plug hole, and If you see the piston moving up/down when you pull the rope... it’s not that.
If it’s flooded bad, a few pulls with the plug removed should help to clear it out. Also, sometimes you can hold the throttle wide open while drop starting and it’ll eventually fire. Might have to remove the air filter too, to get a larger amount of air in the cylinder. Just like unfloodong a car. Good luck!

There aren't any shortcuts. Pull the plug, look. Crank it over, look inside. Check spark. I suspect something more than flooding.

The easy start makes it real tough to feel compression, but it sounds like you might have overheated it to the point of killing the rings. Take a compression reading. If comp checks out then you're looking at a few other possibilities like coil or carb.

^Really hope i didn't do that. Could it have happened that quick? I mean, i was cutting some big rounds and did have most of the blade buried a few times(but not for long), but there was no nasty noise/ drastic change in the sound, it just went off.

The easy start makes it real tough to feel compression, but it sounds like you might have overheated it to the point of killing the rings. Take a compression reading. If comp checks out then you're looking at a few other possibilities like coil or carb.
I think i'll bring it to where i bought and ask them to check the compression if pulling the spark plug and doing what the others suggested doesn't work. I don't have a compression checker here.

Thank you all for the replies. Gonna work on this today.

Before getting too excited, go get a clean glass jar, and dump out the contents from the saw's fuel tank.
You will likely see a layer of water/beads and crap settle to the bottom after 1/2 hour or so.
Then just pull over a bunch to dry it all out, and refill with fresh fuel/mix.

Before making a long drawn out post of how unlikely this is, just do it, the old clean glass jar costs nothing, and the glass will reveal lots of lessons of how to approach a chainsaw problem.
And of course a new plug if that doesn't help you much.
But I am betting on a bit of moisture stopped the saw, and lots of pulling might have just flooded it a tad, but you need to dry it out and start over.
You may thank me later if this helps.
Some of these guys would have you replacing crank seals/carbs/coils.

Back