372xp 572xp ms461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah ...
One more thing to add, my son, who also works with me, bought an ms460 new several years ago and we use it every day we work too. It has been a hell of a saw as far as reliability goes, but it wont hardly cut with a 576 either in our opinion. The stihls will turn the chain as fast or faster until you really put a load on them and they bog down quicker than the huskies.
Yah , the 461 is kind of a dog in stock trim ... with some flow enhancements they can be made into a 70 cc class saw that’s hard to beat !

I'm fairly sure that a properly modded traditional quad-transfer (non-xt) 71 cc 372xp with a large enough carb and a larger muffler would beat anything else in this category regarding cutting speed - but I can't prove it of course. :givebeer:
Yah , a 71cc 372xp no xtraturd is a fine Saw ... however I don’t believe that it “wood” beat a 461 at 76.5cc given equal work ...a 375xpw might give the 461 a better run for its money ... 5.5 cc is quite a bit to overcome in a piston ported motor ... I’m assuming same guy is building both with equal work ! The newest 372 xtraturd woodnt Stand a chance ... your mileage may vary !!!

Yah , a 71cc 372xp no xtraturd is a fine Saw ... however I don’t believe that it “wood” beat a 461 at 76.5cc given equal work ...a 375xpw might give the 461 a better run for its money ... 5.5 cc is quite a bit to overcome in a piston ported motor ... I’m assuming same guy is building both with equal work ! The newest 372 xtraturd woodnt Stand a chance ... your mileage may vary !!!

Well, the "375" top end really is a power cutter top end, and not a chainsaw one. This means it isn't ideally ported for chainsaw use. I also understand that the real reason it was used on the US sold xpw saws from about 2006 to 2009 was EPA regulations (that favored a larger bore at the time).
A known fact is that it needs a lot more work to really perform than the 71cc one, and because of the thinner cylinder walls it may not be possible to "direct" the ports as well.

I don't know the final outcome by personal experience, but understand that the true experts prefer the original 71cc top end for "performance" saws.

Well, the "375" top end really is a power cutter top end, and not a chainsaw one. This eans it is n't ideally ported for chainsaw use. I also understand that the real reason it was used on the US sold xpw saws from about 2006 to 2009 was EPA regulations (that favored a larger bore at the time).
A known fact is that it needs a lot more work to really perform than the 71cc one, and because of the thinner cylinder walls it may not be possible to "direct" the ports as well.

I don't know the final outcome by personal experience, but understand that the true experts prefer the original 71cc top end for "performance" saws.
Not a real husky aficionado ... but I “Heard” a guy named ED can work magic on the 375xp

Not a real husky aficionado ... but I “Heard” a guy named ED can work magic on the 375xp

I once heard that as well - but there is a long time since his work was a topic on the AS.

I know perfectly well who you are referring to, and what he said back then - but it is really old (and imo outdated) news by now.

Personally I'm no expert, so it is a matter of who I trust the most.

Well, the "375" top end really is a power cutter top end, and not a chainsaw one. This eans it is n't ideally ported for chainsaw use. I also understand that the real reason it was used on the US sold xpw saws from about 2006 to 2009 was EPA regulations (that favored a larger bore at the time).

Thank you ol' friend - same to you!

I believe we first "met" on the AS some time in 2004, over the topic of the Husky 353?

You have a good memory, always have. I still have that 353 and still runs great, it was my first Husqvarna saw.

You have a good memory, always have. I still have that 353 and still runs great, it was my first Husqvarna saw.

Thanks - I still have my 2003 one as well. It was the second saw that my wife (Witchy) bought for me, and there never has been a single problem with it. It hasn't been used for anything but cutting up planks etc. after I got the NE346xp in 2007 though.

I once heard that as well - but there is a long time since his work was a topic on the AS.

I know perfectly well who you are referring to, and what he said back then - but it is really old (and imo outdated) news by now.

Personally I'm no expert, so it is a matter of who I trust the most.
Hotsaws101 does a mean 375xp ... benchtalk video check it out !

My opinion doesn't carry any weight around here, nobody "knows" me. Here in the real world though Ive ran and wore out as many saws as any professional logger around these parts. Some of us use and love the orange brand and some use and love the creamsicle brand. A stock 372 non xt and an ms461 are a dead heat. a 576xp will outcut them both. A built 372xp converted to xpw with a 390xp walbro carb and Chinese aftermarket muffler will SLIGHTLY outcut all of them. It WONT hang with a stock 390xp though. Yes, I have them all in those configurations right now. The xpw is wearing a farmertec P&C. I also have an xpw OEM saw I built but its so pretty I haven't even fueled it. Its sitting in the extra bedroom right now beside a new non fueled 390xp and a like new MS660. :D you folks have rubbed off on me I guess.

My opinion doesn't carry any weight around here, nobody "knows" me. Here in the real world though Ive ran and wore out as many saws as any professional logger around these parts. Some of us use and love the orange brand and some use and love the creamsicle brand. A stock 372 non xt and an ms461 are a dead heat. a 576xp will outcut them both. A built 372xp converted to xpw with a 390xp walbro carb and Chinese aftermarket muffler will SLIGHTLY outcut all of them. It WONT hang with a stock 390xp though. Yes, I have them all in those configurations right now. The xpw is wearing a farmertec P&C. I also have an xpw OEM saw I built but its so pretty I haven't even fueled it. Its sitting in the extra bedroom right now beside a new non fueled 390xp and a like new MS660. :D you folks have rubbed off on me I guess.
I believe ya man ! Lotta “bench racing” on these forums ... always nice to hear from someone who’s actually used the equipment and has the experience with it !

I wasn't referring to the 71cc x-torq top-end - but the original 71cc one.
Niko I ran my EHP 71cc 372 next to a EHP XPW and the XPW was ahead by a bit, would eat any 460 that was around back then too. Never ran a ported 576, but the mm stock one I had here had a wider power band than any 372, shame the saw was as heavy and bulky as a 390, because it had good power and was smooth.

Back