Firewood boxes for indoor storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCPT

Love my saws
Reaction score
Built these two boxes to store firewood in the unheated/cold side of my basement. One is 64"×24" and the other is 32"×24", I built them out of two full sheets of 1/2" osb. Hopefully the bugs will stay dormant since they're still in the cold.
20181110_173944.jpg

20181110_173950.jpg

Nice.

I thought about that but didnt want to risk the bugs got this instead and it is on the porch right outside the door.
Its 57”long x20.75”wide x23.75”high and it has a 10 year warranty

199af32fa79609567e0e33a02b859736.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice.

I thought about that but didnt want to risk the bugs got this instead and it is on the porch right outside the door.
Its 57”long x20.75”wide x23.75”high and it has a 10 year warranty

199af32fa79609567e0e33a02b859736.jpg

I just set four glue traps around these boxes to catch any bugs that might warm up. How much is that box?

I just set four glue traps around these boxes to catch any bugs that might warm up. How much is that box?

It was $150. A bit pricy but with a 10 year warranty it made sense. Im set for 10 freaken years with this thing! [emoji23]

Yes i have to step outside in my underwear sometimes to grab a few logs at night but i i don’t mind and the bugs stay OUT!

It was $150. A bit pricy but with a 10 year warranty it made sense. Im set for 10 freaken years with this thing! [emoji23]

Yes i have to step outside in my underwear sometimes to grab a few logs at night but i i don’t mind and the bugs stay OUT!

Yeah, But how do your Neighbors Feel about it?;):surprised3::surprised3::)

Doug :cheers:

To Op have you checked the moisture content of your box stored splits ,from the first photo's they look some what damp or is it just the way the piccy came out

They are not damp. The wood has been split and stacked since March. It was stacked in a less than ideal spot as fungus sprouted off the sides with little sun exposure. I got my stacks covered with a rubber roofing material two months ago, covered the top only. I need to check the moisture content but it burns great so far.

[emoji23]

LOL

They are not close enough to see me on my porch unless they are trespassing [emoji16]

It's a Pretty Safe Bet, that None of My Neighbors WANT to see me, in my Tighty Whitey's ;):surprised3::surprised3::(:(:(:(, and they wouldn't have to be trespassing for that "Privilege" ;)

Doug :cheers:

I made my folks a firewood box while I was in highschool. Its made of oak 1x3s spaced out with a low spot in the front. It's probably 3'x3'x2'. I bet I put 20 hrs in this thing. In the end it turned out so nice I don't think they ever put wood into it. They use it as toybox for the grandkids:numberone:

78B4E3D4-7DB2-49A7-9363-3B8E64702E3C.jpeg Here is my wood box. 3 ft square. I move it from the wood shed to the garage with a palletjack. Where I park it in the garage there is a 2 Ft Square pass thru door where I can reach thru and get the wood out from the den, right next to the wood stove. Only once in the last several years, I had a small herd of carpenter ants warm up and come in the house.

WereW lucky enough to have a built-in masonry alcove right next to the stove. I often bring in a day or two with of wood right now, when it grts really cold outside I'll stack it near the top, which will last us several days to a week. I also have a separate rack that I store my kindling in the same area to keep it separated. Just started doing that this year. Got tired of splitting kindling for each fire. Now I just process about 2 months worth at a time and stack it right within and reach of the stove.

pWU5jIv.jpg

I have not had to start a fire in over 2 weeks now. Load it up at 4:30 AM. My wife throws 2-3 pc in at 7:30am and there are plenty of coals left to re start logs at 4:45 when i get home.

I assume most people don’t have to “start” many fires in the dead of winter as the stove is always going.

I start fires every afternoon during the week, my wife and I both work during the day and I'm often away from home for 10-11 hours at a time. No sense in keeping the stove going while we're not home. On the weekends when we are home most of the time, it runs from Friday evening until Monday morning. If my stove goes for more than 8-9 hours unattended there's little coals if any at all to stoke a fire again. Though, it doesn't take much to get a fire going from nothing, and in about 15-20 minutes the cat reaches reburn temp and I can then load it full, choke it down and let it be.

Great pics and ideas fellas. I keep a can of Raid near the splitter. If I bust open a piece full of bugs, they get gassed. No sense in introducing unwanted pests into your stash or home. During the summer months, our stash gets treated with Tempo (a Bayer product) or something similar.

WereW lucky enough to have a built-in masonry alcove right next to the stove. I often bring in a day or two with of wood right now, when it grts really cold outside I'll stack it near the top, which will last us several days to a week. I also have a separate rack that I store my kindling in the same area to keep it separated. Just started doing that this year. Got tired of splitting kindling for each fire. Now I just process about 2 months worth at a time and stack it right within and reach of the stove.

pWU5jIv.jpg
That Kindling rack is awesome...What is most of that kindling ??

That Kindling rack is awesome...What is most of that kindling ??

Thanks, it's just a cheap $25 rack from TSC that was given to me, tried using it for other stove sized splits but it's too small and kind of flimsy. Perfect for storing kindling though. All of that was green Tulip Poplar, felled less than two months ago. I split, quartered, then into eighths, and split those into kindling, then laid them on a rack to air dry. In about 3-4 weeks they're pretty dry and as light as dried pine, perfect for kindling.

Back