Wanted free firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go on craigslist, usually lots of free wood for you to go pick up. Call the local tree services, some times they will look for a place to dump off a load of wood. You need to make it easy for them. You must take the whole load, can't pick and choose pieces and don't take crotch pieces. Don't expect it to be "firewood", it will still need to be cut and split. If you need cut and split firewood, stacked behind the garage, good luck. Check your local charity.

It always amazes me that a # of folk want to sit on their a** & expect some one to do all the hassle involved in sourcing obtaining wood suitable to use as firewood & to top it by wanting it for FREE & prefer it cut,split & stacked I am well aware of the adage of "If you don't ask you'll never get/know" but the sheer cheek in the way some folk come across & the times I have helped out only to be Cra***d on from a great height I have now passed the word to not be asked as my reply might offend

Doesn't have to be split, and for my own use. Little Al, relax. There are plenty of people who want downed trees, or trees they've taken down themselves, removed off their property and I'm looking for those people in my area. Don't get pissy just because you may have had an unpleasant experience.

I'm looking for free firewood to but nobody wants to give me any. Go figure.
You should say looking for firewood in exchange, will remove and clean work area. Willing to work hard to remove unwanted firewood. Some people hate the word, FREE, it means has no value to anyone. Firewood is never free, someone has to pay land taxes, cut it down (gas and saw costs), persons time moving, splitting and stacking. That being said, I took a full cord of seasoned oak to a neighbors house, husband had a stroke. Good Luck in your search.

Clearly, I came to the wrong place.
You may/may not have come to the wrong place /forum As said in other posts & to me your wording was wrong or gave the wrong impression Again as said if you had said you would clear downed trees clear up felled wood or offer other work done in exchange for wood I'm sure others & myself would be more favorable toward helping you In my over 60 years of dealing with wood cutting in most forms I've been screwed on a good few occasions even After promising myself I wouldn't be so I tend to have a somewhat jaundiced view on posts similar to your OP I doubt if folk in similar circumstances would give you the heads up so you could take what they had lined up for themselves Could I sugest your wording has some give as well as take & the replies would be more in your favour

You should say looking for firewood in exchange, will remove and clean work area. Willing to work hard to remove unwanted firewood. Some people hate the word, FREE, it means has no value to anyone. Firewood is never free, someone has to pay land taxes, cut it down (gas and saw costs), persons time moving, splitting and stacking. That being said, I took a full cord of seasoned oak to a neighbors house, husband had a stroke. Good Luck in your search.
I was joking. You don't know me that well.

Did somebody get sand in their Vaseline?

The guy came to an arborist forum made up of tree services asking for a load of logs. Is that wrong? Far from it many companies pay to dump or look for closer places to dump so they are glad to drop a load off. We give logs away all the time Friday I ran 4 grapple loads of logs out all for free.

Your best bet is to call around to your local tree services some may deliver some may let you pick up. If delivered you might get odd or ugly stuff some guys hand load trucks some use mini skids others grapple trucks. When I make a load of firewood I only put decent stuff on my truck the ugly goes on the tub grinder pile. But that's me building a load in our yard not a truck getting loaded at a jobsite...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Did somebody get sand in their Vaseline?

The guy came to an arborist forum made up of tree services asking for a load of logs. Is that wrong? Far from it many companies pay to dump or look for closer places to dump so they are glad to drop a load off. We give logs away all the time Friday I ran 4 grapple loads of logs out all for free.

Your best bet is to call around to your local tree services some may deliver some may let you pick up. If delivered you might get odd or ugly stuff some guys hand load trucks some use mini skids others grapple trucks. When I make a load of firewood I only put decent stuff on my truck the ugly goes on the tub grinder pile. But that's me building a load in our yard not a truck getting loaded at a jobsite...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
To me it was the wording of the OP It gave the impression he wanted wood for free with no effort involved on his part It was maybe his wording (lack of detail) or my reading of it I always go with the adage "There's no such thing as a free lunch or at best only one" Different wording setting out what he was prepared to do would to me have elicited more favorable response

Best thing you can do is run an ad on craigslist detailing what you want, of course don't expect anything split and ready to burn......but for example you could say you can't take anything bigger than 18" diameter and what species you will not take. If you have some property that is easily assessable for a dump truck you may be able to get some wood dropped. I started doing this a few years back and it is a regular log dump for some tree services. I usually like to meet them the first time so they know where to dump and what I expect. I don't take branches smaller than my forearm or logs bigger than 36" in diameter unless I know what is coming. No pine or poplar either. It takes time but there are ways to get logs or wood free, but it has to benefit both parties involved. An OutBack gift card is a nice gesture to give somebody that keeps coming back and you can trust on your property without being there.

Back