Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The conveyor worked excellent. Turns out it's a 2011 and was never used, it was a display model at a Dealer who just closed down. The lifting jack bracket was seized the same as Sandhill Crane's was. Put some penetrating oil on it and was able to get the bracket off. They had painted the shaft and then put the sleeve and bearing on, no lube. Emery cloth , some grease and it works great now. Chain was dry and had never been oiled, took a bit of trial and error to get it lubed up and tight enough to work.
20181118_124940.jpg 20181118_131734.jpg

Crowbuster, yup Landpride and almost new. I should do okay selling it, paid $500 Can for it. Got a load today too. A nice Landpride scraper blade with hydraulic tilt went $800. I got a CHE one for a lot less.
View attachment 685331

On second thought cantoo, im glad you are so far from me. You would cost me a lot of money, you always get good stuff at the sales.

You're right there crowbuster, nobody likes to go to sales with me. I'm usually the 1st or 2nd one there and usually before the auctioneer and the last one to leave. This tractor trailer load of dry mantles and lumber went for $750. Everything from hickory, to walnut and maple.
20181115_080107.jpg 20181114_163522.jpg 20181114_163423.jpg 20181114_163423.jpg

First year I’ve really utilized “shoulder season wood”. Burned willow for the first few weeks until it turned colder. It really worked well for me and now I’m kicking myself for not racking some more up to burn in the spring. I’m starting into my better wood now and it’s quite a difference. I can put 2 pieces in and go to work. House will still be 70 or better when I get home 11 hours later.

Hey guys. Haven't really done much of anything in the last few weeks except work. Just hanging out at home watching the birds load up on seeds and goodies at the bird feeder this morning then I need to head into town.

We have a few inches of snow on the ground and more coming. Never got the mother load of scrounge hauled in this fall cause it rained every damn day.

I have some balsam thinning to do in my woodlot and also need to thin the pines next to my house over the winter.

Hey guys. Haven't really done much of anything in the last few weeks except work. Just hanging out at home watching the birds load up on seeds and goodies at the bird feeder this morning then I need to head into town.

We have a few inches of snow on the ground and more coming. Never got the mother load of scrounge hauled in this fall cause it rained every damn day.

I have some balsam thinning to do in my woodlot and also need to thin the pines next to my house over the winter.
lol? no time like the present steve! you wait till winter and you know what you will be wading through.... besides it cuts into the hardwater season!

Opening day was Sat, 5 of us went up to the Cabin for the WE. My Nephew got a 6 point, but the rest of us did not see anything but loads of sign.

There was a foot of snow up at the cabin, I had to put chains on all 4 wheels of the Escape, and the ATV guys told us I was the only road vehicle to make it up the hill, numerous 4X4 PU Trucks tried but failed. They re did the road, and left a coating of slick clay (instead of Bluestone). Was horrible, almost did not make it with the chains (and no trailer).

Saw lots of deer track, and those of a Momma Bear and her 2 cubs. I'd like to get back up there again, but it is 2 mi in on a 4WD road (no electric, etc), so I prefer not to go alone and no one else seems to be available to go. Sometimes you don't get cell service, and it is just real isolated in case something goes wrong.

Back home I took a doe yesterday afternoon with the MZ. Rifle is not allowed down here, and I prefer that to the Shotgun.

Pics from the cabin:

Attachments

• IMG_20181116_161950505.jpg
    IMG_20181116_161950505.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20181118_080504530.jpg
    IMG_20181118_080504530.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20181116_215549159.jpg
    IMG_20181116_215549159.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 44
Really glad I got the doe, cause I felt like I was being tortured this year. So after 2 "dry" years, I've now scored 3 years in a row! :)

Tons of track up at the cabin, and I could not find one in the snow! A deer bedded down watching the cabin before opening morning.

Deer tracks right by my stand (from Sat Night), and it bedded 20 yards away in front of my stand!

I come home and look out my front window, and a 4" diameter tree got ripped up by a Buck in the lot across the street while I was away (just a 100 X 150 lot, can't hunt it). So I go over to take a pic of the ripped up tree, and there is a doe laying there watching me 20 yds away! You just can't make this stuff up! I was ready to scream!

Have a pic of the ripped up tree, but "too large to post"!!!

Latest posts

Back