Should a 372xp be able to bog and wet 12-20 inch Pine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

August76

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I noticed that this thing Cuts pretty good but if you even start to lean on it at all it wants to bog. I bought this used but it's a 2018 model so it hasn't seen a lot of use I don't know if maybe there might be something wrong with it I haven't touched anything I'm using the 28 inch bar and chain that came with it it doesn't seem to me like I should be able to easily make this saw bog.
Any thoughts on this maybe the carburetor needs to be adjusted I'm going to do a warm compression check on it later tonight

I can't bog a 50cc saw with a sharp chain.

That 372XP is an elite level saw so I have to assume something isn't right.....in fact I'm sure.

OP, you need to spend some actual face to face time with some guys who have a few good saws and know what they should run like. To answer your question, yes you can stall out a 70cc saw in 8" wood if you push hard enough. Ask the guys who race them. There are a million variables to every cutting situation. Once you get some real time on saws that are set up right you'll "get it". Until then, starting these threads just won't do much for you. I know what an 038 Magnum should run like, and a 372, but I can't describe it to you.

Also, I'm not at all convinced you can actually make a sharp chain or tune a carb. No offense intended, but honestly it takes most people some time to figure it out. I thought I was pretty good at filing chains 8 years ago when I'd had my 361 for six months. A year ago I found an 84dl chain that I had buried from back then. It was one I filed. It was terrible. Seriously awful, and I would have run it and been happy back then.

Find some local members, bring a cooler of beverages and a box of donuts and go learn. The computer has serious limitations.

OP, you need to spend some actual face to face time with some guys who have a few good saws and know what they should run like. To answer your question, yes you can stall out a 70cc saw in 8" wood if you push hard enough. Ask the guys who race them. There are a million variables to every cutting situation. Once you get some real time on saws that are set up right you'll "get it". Until then, starting these threads just won't do much for you. I know what an 038 Magnum should run like, and a 372, but I can't describe it to you.

Also, I'm not at all convinced you can actually make a sharp chain or tune a carb. No offense intended, but honestly it takes most people some time to figure it out. I thought I was pretty good at filing chains 8 years ago when I'd had my 361 for six months. A year ago I found an 84dl chain that I had buried from back then. It was one I filed. It was terrible. Seriously awful, and I would have run it and been happy back then.

Find some local members, bring a cooler of beverages and a box of donuts and go learn. The computer has serious limitations.
Very well said!

Something about that just doesn't look quite right to me. In all honesty, I don't own an xtorq version of the 372xp. All of mine are the older xp versions. I know the top cover says xtorq and so does the starter housing but I was expecting to see a strato carb and an AT intake on that saw. Quite the opposite is what I see. I see a standard older version of the tried and true 372xp. Im sure if Im wrong somebody will be along to correct me but it sure looks to me like you got an old saw with some new plastic on it.

Something about that just doesn't look quite right to me. In all honesty, I don't own an xtorq version of the 372xp. All of mine are the older xp versions. I know the top cover says xtorq and so does the starter housing but I was expecting to see a strato carb and an AT intake on that saw. Quite the opposite is what I see. I see a standard older version of the tried and true 372xp. Im sure if Im wrong somebody will be along to correct me but it sure looks to me like you got an old saw with some new plastic on it.
Nope. That carb box is right. That's an RWJ4 carb. That is a strato setup though. Lots of mis-information and questions in this thread. ALL HUSKY AUTO TUNE SAWS START WITH "5" IN THE MODEL NUMBER. There are some "5" saws that aren't auto tune, but no 1, 2, 3, or 4 series saws that are.

And as for you OP, read Ryan's post. If you disagree with what he says and your saws are truly all turds, box them up and send them to me. I'll sort them out...

Nope. That carb box is right. That's an RWJ4 carb. Lots of mis-information and questions in this thread. ALL HUSKY AUTO TUNE SAWS START WITH "5" IN THE MODEL NUMBER. There are some "5" saws that aren't auto tune, but no 1, 2, 3, or 4 series saws that are.

And as for you OP, read Ryan's post. If you disagree with what he says and your saws are truly are turds, box them up and send them to me. I'll sort them out...
Ok, that clears that part up! Like I said, I don't own nor have I looked into any of the new 372xp saws.

I've never touched the carburetor on this saw it starts and idles pretty nicely maybe I'm not sharpening the chain right but I would think that even a dull chain would not bog the saw

Houston I think we have a problem you guys are busting my chops and giving me a hard time but the saws only got 120 PSI compression no matter how many times I pull it over it never goes higher I might not know very much but that's kind of low isn't it
I didn't start a bunch of useless threads for no reason the reality is there's nobody out here this is not a wood cutting a community you have homeowners that take their saw down to the local place when they need it fixed that's about it and I'm not from here so I don't really know anybody anyway so when I have a problem I get on here and I get help and usually somebody gives me the answer I need it's a good place to start I'm not saying that the internet has all the answers but it's better than sitting there guessing20181120_195345.jpg

I noticed that this thing Cuts pretty good but if you even start to lean on it at all it wants to bog. I bought this used but it's a 2018 model so it hasn't seen a lot of use I don't know if maybe there might be something wrong with it I haven't touched anything I'm using the 28 inch bar and chain that came with it it doesn't seem to me like I should be able to easily make this saw bog.
Any thoughts on this maybe the carburetor needs to be adjusted I'm going to do a warm compression check on it later tonight

Too many unknown variables to accurately answer your question, ie: is chain sharpened properly?, is carb adjusted properly?, is the air filter clean? and numerous other unknowns. But one thing is certain........... Lose about 8 inches of that bar, and she won't bog nearly as much ;)

I think that this tester reads about 10 psi low but I'm reading 155 PSI on other saws with the same tester and I bought this tester earlier this year I even returned it and got another one because I thought it read too low they both read the same way

I think that this tester reads about 10 psi low but I'm reading 155 PSI on other saws with the same tester and I bought this tester earlier this year I even returned it and got another one because I thought it read too low they both read the same way
Then it's not the gauge. Get the muffler off that thing.

Then it's not the gauge. Get the muffler off that thing.
I just pulled the muffler and it looks great but the Rings look like they're sitting in the Piston not sticking out at all I'll take some pictures but it looks funky

Latest posts

Back