Countyline 25 ton or 30 ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TSC Black Friday...Countyline 25 Ton......$699....Hard to beat that !!!!

WOW!! I believe those are rebranded Huskees. I could be wrong, though.

My 25 ton Huskee has easily handled some of the nastiest honey locust I've ever dealt with including 3 foot diameter twisted trunk pieces.
I put a decent spark plug in it and filled the crankcase with full synthetic oil before I even used it. I also installed a simple gas shutoff to keep it from flooding during transport and I use only non-ethanol gas. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't start very easily when the temps are in the single digits, but I don't split wood under those circumstances anyway, so it's no big deal.

I'll add my 2 cents. I had a Troybuilt for about 15 years. No problems. Just wore it out. Ran a borrowed 22 T for a winter until it went home. Split everything i threw at it. I was going to buy one until I stopped at TSC and they had a 25 T on special for $629. Probaly split close to 25 cords this winter. So far so good. For the OP i guess it would matter how much and what kind of wood you are splitting.

I have a 25T countryline and it's great. Starts first pull everytime (Kohler motor), sips fuel, and splits everything I have put through it. I have about 25 hrs of runtime on the unit. I'm sure the cycle time is slower than a larger unit and I can say I would appreciate the larger wedge

I once thought that as well. If you are going the full length back and forth, then the cycle times matter. My 16" logs split in 4 to 5 inches, and I can reload before the auto return goes back fully. So 3 to 5 seconds is usually less then 2 seconds.

I don't get why they are built with such slow cycle times. Something in the area of 3-5 secs is the slowest I'd consider.

My 16" logs split in 4 to 5 inches, and I can reload before the auto return goes back fully. So 3 to 5 seconds is usually less then 2 seconds.[/QUOTE]

My experience with the wood I cut (which is mostly Alder) is a very short cycle of a few inches will split it. The 25 ton cheapy splitter I use works plenty fast and will power through the rare knotty pieces of Fir and Maple I throw at it. I just don’t know how long it will hold together.
If I needed a full cycle all of the time, I would do some research and go with the one with the power and speed to do it at a faster pace. Nothing is more disappointing than to throw down a good chunk of cash and not being happy with the result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So folks thinking the CountyLine 25ton At $699 isn’t a great deal ? I have reviewed many splitters and gone between the DHT, Black Diamond which is made by DHT and watched tons of videos and overalls people seem very happy with their 25 ton CountyLine.

WOW!! I believe those are rebranded Huskees. I could be wrong, though.

My 25 ton Huskee has easily handled some of the nastiest honey locust I've ever dealt with including 3 foot diameter twisted trunk pieces.
I put a decent spark plug in it and filled the crankcase with full synthetic oil before I even used it. I also installed a simple gas shutoff to keep it from flooding during transport and I use only non-ethanol gas. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't start very easily when the temps are in the single digits, but I don't split wood under those circumstances anyway, so it's no big deal.
I called the #that came with my county line and they answered the phone Speeco.???

Well I ended up getting the countyline 30 ton because it was $100 off when I got it. I have also got to run a 25 ton countyline and I can say without a doubt, my 30 ton splits gnarly rounds easier and way faster than the 25 ton. But $699 is a great deal for a new splitter.

So folks thinking the CountyLine 25ton At $699 isn’t a great deal ? I have reviewed many splitters and gone between the DHT, Black Diamond which is made by DHT and watched tons of videos and overalls people seem very happy with their 25 ton CountyLine.

I have a countyline 40 ton and I love it.
Not to bash any brands but there is one brand that is a sponsor on this site and I have seen many threads about issues with that brand. Bad pumps, bad hand valve, broken I beam, motor wont start, leaking cylinders, are common on that brand. They do have great customer service but if there machines were any good, they wouldn't keep having those same issues over and over again.

I once thought that as well. If you are going the full length back and forth, then the cycle times matter. My 16" logs split in 4 to 5 inches, and I can reload before the auto return goes back fully. So 3 to 5 seconds is usually less then 2 seconds.

My little splitter has the wedge on the cylinder end, so can't do that. That's a pretty common setup I believe on the splitters that can go vertical.

I've kept it around for busting up the big stuff that won't fit through the processors, though looking at a skid steer mounted one, as handling the big blocks and splitting them at bending down level is a real SOB on my back.

On my processor is has to go near to the end so there's enough room for the next block to fit in the splitting chamber, I have room to do about a 22" piece, but it gets real tight doing that.

I have a countyline 40 ton and I love it.
Not to bash any brands but there is one brand that is a sponsor on this site and I have seen many threads about issues with that brand. Bad pumps, bad hand valve, broken I beam, motor wont start, leaking cylinders, are common on that brand. They do have great customer service but if there machines were any good, they wouldn't keep having those same issues over and over again.

We have 2 splitters at the shop, an Iron and Oak from the 90s and a Swisher from mid 2000s that is mine.

The Iron and Oak was used as a rental for several years (the shop used to rent out a few splitters, rototillers, chainsaws, backhoe, etc). It's gone through hell and back. Honda engine has enough hours it burns almost more oil than gas, muffler internals are blown out, gas tank smashed to where it holds probably 1/2 it's supposed to, usually needs ether to get started, especially if it's cold out.
Hydraulic filter last changed probably 15 years ago (owner is "real good" about keeping up on this stuff... still works, don't touch it guy haha)
Anyhow, still works, doesn't leak. Been a darn tough machine.

My Swisher is built about the same, just a 11hp vertical Briggs with belt drive though. The only thing I hate is that it never came with a log stripper. I've had guys running it and break the control valve off the cylinder a few times from that.
I probably should make one for it, but I don't use it much anymore. Maybe have put 10 hours on it in the last 5 years.

I have a beautiful ginger Speeco 22 Ton splitter that has performed flawless for over 10 years. The only issue I've had with her is I have to clean her carb every few years in the Brigss 650, but that's more of a maintenance/engine manufacturer issue than Speeco's. The light and shapely easy to handle 22 tonner will spit anything I have ever placed in front of her. Her two stage pump will shift to a slower, more powerful mode that will slowly and powerfully charge ahead to split the gnarliest, knottiest, nastiest wood I can find. She may not be the fastest, but she is faithful and I can not out work her... she will definitely be around when I'm long gone.

Dang, after re-reading my post I realized I've have really become attached to the ol' girl since I kept referring to her as a female. But I'm kinda like that, my Harley's all have lady like names, so I will have to come up with a name for her.

I leave you with this point to ponder... Predominant quality of human female; fragility of beauty, yet the immense strength to carry and deliver a life! Vehicles are built to carry you safe and deliver!

It has dawned on me from using mine the past few years, how handy it is to have a machine with a layout & controls so it is equally easy to work it from either side. But I didn't realize how many of the 'box store splitters' were not laid out the best for that. I've been checking out some manuals on line now & again whenever an interesting splitter thread shows up - I think all of them show an 'operating zone', and most all of them show that to be only on one side or the other.

Now that isn't to say that they can't be used from either side, but I would think it would indicate that one side is harder to work from than the other. Which is something that might not seem so important at the time you're looking for a new one and might be easy to overlook, but I would definitely take it into consideration.

It also plain might not matter to some, but I find it pretty important when I use mine.

(That plus engine vulnerability to stray wood and a couple other factors...)

I have a beautiful ginger Speeco 22 Ton splitter that has performed flawless for over 10 years. The only issue I've had with her is I have to clean her carb every few years in the Brigss 650, but that's more of a maintenance/engine manufacturer issue than Speeco's. The light and shapely easy to handle 22 tonner will spit anything I have ever placed in front of her. Her two stage pump will shift to a slower, more powerful mode that will slowly and powerfully charge ahead to split the gnarliest, knottiest, nastiest wood I can find. She may not be the fastest, but she is faithful and I can not out work her... she will definitely be around when I'm long gone.

Dang, after re-reading my post I realized I've have really become attached to the ol' girl since I kept referring to her as a female. But I'm kinda like that, my Harley's all have lady like names, so I will have to come up with a name for her.

I leave you with this point to ponder... Predominant quality of human female; fragility of beauty, yet the immense strength to carry and deliver a life! Vehicles are built to carry you safe and deliver!
LOL When I was reading this I was thinking that you must have split with a maul for a long time and you were so thankfull for this splitter as a back saver. It is good to have good equipment.

I split with a maul and wedges for one year before I had that light-bulb in my head come on. "Buy a splitter...dumb-azz"
I worked in construction and spent all day swinging a hammer or running tools. Coming home to a pile of wood that needed to be tackled with a really big hammer was downright depressing. With the splitter and a big pile of wood it becomes almost a party for family and friends.

Back