First splitter oil change - what did I do wrong?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

123trees

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently bought a 25 ton Dirty Hand Tools log splitter. I’ve been really happy with its performance. The manual says to change the engine oil after 5 hrs use. It’s been used for about 5 hrs, so I changed the oil yesterday. The manual says that the engine should need 20 oz oil. I drained the oil by removing the screw indicated in the picture with a red arrow. I left it draining for at least 1 hr. I then replaced the screw, and added exactly 20 oz of oil to the oil fill port (yellow arrow). However, I’m afraid that I somehow overfilled the oil. It was definitely passed the full line on the dip stick. I drained out some oil, and it was still passed the line.

I can certainly keep draining oil until it is no longer passed the line, however, I’m concerned because I don’t know where I went wrong. I would guestimate that I drained maybe 3-5 oz after filling. That means that I’ve only added 15-17 oz, and it still seems to be too much. So I’m wondering whether maybe I didn’t successfully drain the original oil, but I’m not sure how I could have messed that up. I let it drain for at least an hr, and there definitely wasn’t any more coming out. I’m not really an engine guy, so I’m sure I did something stupid, just can’t figure out what. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• oil change.jpg
    oil change.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 81
Was the machine sat with the drainplug lowest down? Does it have a filter that requires changing?So is your replacement oil clean/clear or is it erring toward brown/black have you tried a short low rev run & a recheck of oil level Not up with this peticulaar machine so just firing shots off in the dark.

:drinkingcoffee:
I'm no mechanic either.
Small engine oil change should be pretty straight forward.
Google it, brand and model engine.
Check your manual again. 20 may have been the page number. Just kidding.
NSMaple 1 is right about draining.
First thing I do...is tuck my beard in. Then I pull my engines, put them on the bench, clean, and change oil. It's a bit of work and probably not necessary but a clean engine looks like I care, and cools better. The conveyor engine is in a hard to get at spot, huge mess, so I just split the Love Joy coupling and pull them off so I can tip them to drain and fill. I'll be doing that today. Did the SuperSplit yesterday. A few bolts and it's on the bench. Actually not. It was outside on a cart, as the wood stove was going and the engine has fuel in it.
Neither take much oil, less than a quart, so I change frequently.
I never know if you push the stick in to check oil level, or push it in and screw it in to check, so I do the first figuring there is more oil and if it is too much it will blow it out the case breather, if and where there is one. Hasn't happened yet.
Did I say, I'm no mechanic.

Sounds like you have done everything right, but not sure on the dipstick. Kohler engine? Can you put up a picture of the dipstick. I didn't think those engines had dipsticks??

All those Kohler/Honda/Chonda type engines I have seen fill to the yellow fill cap you have in the picture. Should be a short dipstick attached to that cap - fill to near full or overflowing with the engine level. It is hard to overfill unless you tilt the engine. Most of those have low oil level alerts that won't let them run unless the oil is at a certain level.

Sounds like you have done everything right, but not sure on the dipstick. Kohler engine? Can you put up a picture of the dipstick. I didn't think those engines had dipsticks??

All those Kohler/Honda/Chonda type engines I have seen fill to the yellow fill cap you have in the picture. Should be a short dipstick attached to that cap - fill to near full or overflowing with the engine level. It is hard to overfill unless you tilt the engine. Most of those have low oil level alerts that won't let them run unless the oil is at a certain level.

Now that I can view the picture larger - you might have a point. That dipstick looks more horizontal than vertical. In which case an accurate dipstick reading might be hard to get. All engines I have had that have had the fill hole oriented like that, that I can remember, I'd just put oil in until it wouldn't hold any more. And I don't think they had dipsticks. Were likely mostly B&S though. The fill hole is low enough that it won't really hold a whole lot before it starts spilling out. (Make sure engine is level when doing this...)

Does the engine have a oil filter? It may hold a pint or so of oil. We have to recycle used oil . So I usually put it back into its original container. It gives you an idea of what you took out.

Are you screwing the dipstick back in to measure? Check the manual for procedure, cause some of these stupid engines want you to not screw dipstick back in to check oil. Makes a big difference in the reading...

My understanding with those motors is to fill them to the top of the fill point threads, if oil reaches the lower part of the threads, it needs topping up, fill to almost level with spilling out, that would be near where your original fill of the measured amount was, correct ?

That's normally how we will them. Do dozens of oil changes a year on mowers, tillers, snowblowers, etc.

Most small engines with a dipstick you don't screw it in to measure, and that will be about to the level of the bottom of the fill hole anyhow.

Does the engine have a oil filter? It may hold a pint or so of oil. We have to recycle used oil . So I usually put it back into its original container. It gives you an idea of what you took out.

We dump it in a 150 gallon fuel tank off an old semi truck and fill a 5 gallon bucket off it. Pour the bucket into an old coffee can and throw a qt or two into the shop wood stove to help get a fire going.
If we end up with more than that tank will hold, (some of the equipment holds 10+ gallons of oil)
just put it in 55 gal drums and bring it to the local auto shop, they heat with it.

Good way to get rid of it. Some people just pour it into the ground

Have maybe lost a bit that way over the years when a hose blows or what not. We joke it's just going back where it came from.but of course try to contain and clean it up best we can.

Are you screwing the dipstick back in to measure? Check the manual for procedure, cause some of these stupid engines want you to not screw dipstick back in to check oil. Makes a big difference in the reading...

Stihl not sure if it's the Kohler motor on th op's splitter but think it is. (DHT). The manual says not to screw the dipstick in. just checked the manual as i have the same motor. the 6.5 motor has both a dipstick AND an oil fill plug. Both need to be removed when filling. See page 25 of the sevice manual. the one i have highlighted in red.
http://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/18_590_11_EN.pdf
http://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/18_690_01_EN.pdf

Latest posts

Back