Kuuma vs caddy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homemade

Certified Chainsaw Tester
Reaction score
Looking at both. Thinking about a Kuuma because of the higher efficiency rating. So my questions are
1) do either offer a way to heat domestic hot water.
2) when in add on application, will it tie into primary furnace for blower controls and run natural gas when wood runs low. (Neither have natural gas add on, only electric or fuel oil).

The Caddy isn't far behind from the Kuuma as far as efficiency is concerned. The Max Caddy does have a heated water option, and either the Caddy or Max Caddy can be installed in series with your existing central furnace's blower from either the left or right side. Series allows for zero dampers in the system and for either the woodfurnace or central furnace to operate seamlessly.

Where in E WI are you? I'm near the Dells if you want to come take a look at my Kuuma in action.

You can add a water coil option to the Kuuma. I have one and had it heating a 30 gallon tempering tank (old electric water heater) which then fed our 40ga water heater. Late last winter the tempering tank developed a leak so I had to remove it.

You can do what laynes mentions above (series install) or you can run it parallel and come up with a systems control which works for how you want both blowers to "dance together". I have both my Kuuma and LP furnaces "dancing" together beautifully if I need them to.

I was in the same boat as you were back in early 2014. I choose Kuuma for two reasons, the computer control of the primary damper and the fact of the local Caddy dealer rubbed me the wrong way when he did a site visit to look at our situation and give me a quote. Both furnaces are good and were the only two I was even considering.

1755sqft new home. 2x6 exterior walls, split ranch style. I’m thinking I’m just going with the Kuuma and be done with it. I have to talk to the hvac guy and get a quote accordingly. it was a wood hot air or a owb. The owb is twice the cost. I know I wine be able to heat two separate buildings, but I think I’ll just get a cheaper wood eater for a separate 30x50 shop.

Holy cow you have the same square foot and style home that I do. I am also trying to decide between these 2 furnaces. I was quoted 4.4k + 1.2k for blower for the caddy (I believe this was the max caddy). The kuuma is 5.3k, so really close in price since the kuuma already comes with blower. Hard choice! Following this thread as this is a build for next winter.

So between the two kuuma models I’m gonna go with the bigger one. Provided it doesn’t cook me out of the house. 3500sqft is a difference between the big and small. The big one takes 20” splits, the small one only 16” splits. The bigger one has a two stage blower, the smaller only single stage. And the larger one has the capacity for the hot water loop add on. Although they don’t advertise the water loop, because it derates the epa rating. I’m gonna give them a call on Monday and see what they can do for me.

When I ordered mine almost three weeks ago, Dale told me that they weren't currently selling the 200; he said something about it being EPA tested currently and it would be for sale after that. Like you I had also decided to go with the 100 model, partially because of the capacity to take larger splits. The thing is like over 99% efficient in terms of combustion when burning on the low setting, so I think being a little oversized won't be a big deal.

When I ordered mine almost three weeks ago, Dale told me that they weren't currently selling the 200; he said something about it being EPA tested currently and it would be for sale after that. Like you I had also decided to go with the 100 model, partially because of the capacity to take larger splits. The thing is like over 99% efficient in terms of combustion when burning on the low setting, so I think being a little oversized won't be a big deal.

What’s your sq ft?

What’s your sq ft?

Not exactly sure to be honest. Under 1500 though for sure. Home was originally built in 1915. Hand hewn hemlock logs. Disassembled in '77 and moved here. They added a loft over half of it, vaulted ceilings in the rest. Chinking is in fair shape, but the windows are single pane with storms.

We just moved in a little less than a year ago. It needs work, but we're making progress. Fixed the septic, put on a steel roof, now a new furnace. :)

rps20181202_212818_989.jpg

I know I really like my Kuuma built sauna stove. Stove works fantastic and they were great to work with when ordering etc...

Not exactly sure to be honest. Under 1500 though for sure. Home was originally built in 1915. Hand hewn hemlock logs. Disassembled in '77 and moved here. They added a loft over half of it, vaulted ceilings in the rest. Chinking is in fair shape, but the windows are single pane with storms.

We just moved in a little less than a year ago. It needs work, but we're making progress. Fixed the septic, put on a steel roof, now a new furnace. :)

View attachment 687895

That is a neat looking house!

I called Lamppa yesterday. Talked it all over and felt confident that it won’t cook me out of the house. Simple enough that if something goes wrong, I can figure it out. I also called a few contractors (the three closest) that sell the wood caddy. I was not impressed with the dealers. Two only sold a few in the 5or so years they had them.

Through all my research I am leaning toward the vf100 myself. I love the made in the USA and local business aspect of it. As well as it still being the most efficient furnace made to date. Also sounds simple enough that I would trust the wife to load the furnace if I get stuck at work, this is the biggest selling point.

I called Lamppa yesterday. Talked it all over and felt confident that it won’t cook me out of the house. Simple enough that if something goes wrong, I can figure it out. I also called a few contractors (the three closest) that sell the wood caddy. I was not impressed with the dealers. Two only sold a few in the 5or so years they had them.

That's kind of surprising. I would consider a Caddy to be the second best out there - second only to the Kuuma. With maybe a bit more horsepower on top if you really need a pile of heat at times.

Latest posts

Back