Question for Firewood sellers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Reading old post of people using tote or bags to sell there firewood. I’m looking into both.

I need a new way to sell clean wood. For 12 years I just processed wood into a pile on the ground then sell 11 months later. load with rock bucket into trailer.

I Do the best I can to clean but need better idea.

I have no problem loading them with wood and storing both ideas it loading wood on trailer to sell

And simple ideas on how to unload both from the totes or bags into my trailer??

Thanks jason

Here every stick of wood has to be stacked one way or the other. If you want to load with a fork then lay a good bed of gravel down or class two or three base. The wood will stay dryer and clean. Some use pallets which will work well too. Now if you are bundling wood that is a whole other matter. We do not start to bundle much until we have some order ready to go. We can easily process 500 to 800 a day when needed, but bundling wood goes in to a building with concrete floor. Thanks

We switched over to the firewood bags last year. We purchased a swing from Palax for unloading the bags. It is basically a set of rotating forks that picks up the bag while it sits on a pallet, you strap the bag and the pallet to the forks, and then it spins and empties the bag into our dump trailer. We mounted it to our JCB Teletruk. It works pretty good but it is not heavy duty enough for continued use. We did about 100 cord this year so 300 bags. We have delivered about 80 cord already and I just sheared the mourning point off where the ram mounts on the attachment. Were are going to fix it to get through the rest of their year, but for next year I am going to try to get a set of industrial rotating forks and modify it with a side panel like the swing. The bags system works well for us. You know every customer is getting the same amount of wood, and you literally never touch the wood again after it is split. The wood seasons really well in the bags. We like the Dino bags the best. They seem like they hold up better than the Woodland Mills bags we started with. With the swing down right now, we have been just strapping the bags to the pallets and the fork carriage, dumping it over the trailer and kind of hand unloading the bags. It works but it defeats the purpose of never having to touch the wood.

IMG_0994.JPG IMG_3791.JPG IMG_1502.JPG IMG_1498.JPG IMG_1081.JPG

The rotator is what I plan on doing.

So far the only wood I've done in the FIBC bags has been bundle wood so it's hand unloaded. Bring a set of bags in the shop and make bundles out of the bags.

To fill those I was using a big "lumber yard" 12k forklift, under the conveyor. It worked ok, but it has the turning radius of a school bus and won't fit in the shop.

I bought an old Yale warehouse forklift this summer. One of the reasons I bought it too was that it has a rotator.
The rotator sucks for visibility of the forks, but it'll work nice for dumping out the bags. I plan to just fab up a dealio like the Palax has.

I use the Flex-E-Sack bags. They are the cheapest I could find at about $15 each with the shipping. Now I'm sure if in the L48 shipping won't be an arm and 3 kidneys. The Dino bags I like better, with the bottom loops and the mesh seems like it'd breathe better, but they were going to cost me about $24 a bag.

$9 doesn't seem like much, but on even just 100 bags, that's $2400 vs $1500.

Also found the bags needs to be covered. I did 4 bags this spring and set them out till September. The top half of the bag was decently dry, the middle was ok, but the bottom ~2ft was a mess. Mold and mushrooms. Would get wet from the rain and never get a chance to dry before it was wet again.

quick release clip to dump from the bottom of the bag.

Yeah, just need to figure a way that's easy and quick to use but can hold whether it's dry, cold, wet, etc. And not mess up the bag.

I was thinking may not have to even hold the bottom, just might take a little bit of coaxing by hand once the bag is upside down to get the last bit.

We switched over to the firewood bags last year. We purchased a swing from Palax for unloading the bags. It is basically a set of rotating forks that picks up the bag while it sits on a pallet, you strap the bag and the pallet to the forks, and then it spins and empties the bag into our dump trailer. We mounted it to our JCB Teletruk. It works pretty good but it is not heavy duty enough for continued use. We did about 100 cord this year so 300 bags. We have delivered about 80 cord already and I just sheared the mourning point off where the ram mounts on the attachment. Were are going to fix it to get through the rest of their year, but for next year I am going to try to get a set of industrial rotating forks and modify it with a side panel like the swing. The bags system works well for us. You know every customer is getting the same amount of wood, and you literally never touch the wood again after it is split. The wood seasons really well in the bags. We like the Dino bags the best. They seem like they hold up better than the Woodland Mills bags we started with. With the swing down right now, we have been just strapping the bags to the pallets and the fork carriage, dumping it over the trailer and kind of hand unloading the bags. It works but it defeats the purpose of never having to touch the wood.

View attachment 686060 View attachment 686061 View attachment 686062 View attachment 686063 View attachment 686064

Wow that’s is a great idea. But after searching no dealers listed in the Usa. Is one close in Quebec.

But no $$$. Listed do you mine saying how much it cost or roughly cost. Lol.

Thanks for the reply T.

We have bags (think they may be building trade for sand/gravel similar to post# strong handles
off at the top & a single handle on the bottom hook or fork lift tine in bottom loop for discharge

I’ve seen a bag on eBay like that you load the bag on a table then push wood onto conveyor or place in trailer and roll over??
How many years of usage per bag normally

thanks for your reply little Al

The rotator is what I plan on doing.

So far the only wood I've done in the FIBC bags has been bundle wood so it's hand unloaded. Bring a set of bags in the shop and make bundles out of the bags.

To fill those I was using a big "lumber yard" 12k forklift, under the conveyor. It worked ok, but it has the turning radius of a school bus and won't fit in the shop.

I bought an old Yale warehouse forklift this summer. One of the reasons I bought it too was that it has a rotator.
The rotator sucks for visibility of the forks, but it'll work nice for dumping out the bags. I plan to just fab up a dealio like the Palax has.

I use the Flex-E-Sack bags. They are the cheapest I could find at about $15 each with the shipping. Now I'm sure if in the L48 shipping won't be an arm and 3 kidneys. The Dino bags I like better, with the bottom loops and the mesh seems like it'd breathe better, but they were going to cost me about $24 a bag.

$9 doesn't seem like much, but on even just 100 bags, that's $2400 vs $1500.

Also found the bags needs to be covered. I did 4 bags this spring and set them out till September. The top half of the bag was decently dry, the middle was ok, but the bottom ~2ft was a mess. Mold and mushrooms. Would get wet from the rain and never get a chance to dry before it was wet again.

These bags aren’t cheap $15.04 for flex-e sack and there 150 miles away lol

Where totes could last years and maybe repay for them selfs in 5 years if not damaged.

This is definitely a way to go just gotta figure out the costs and equipment to do it effectively.

The noise of a firewood tumbler will not work for me.

Thanks for the reply choppy

These bags aren’t cheap $15.04 for flex-e sack and there 150 miles away lol

Where totes could last years and maybe repay for them selfs in 5 years if not damaged.

This is definitely a way to go just gotta figure out the costs and equipment to do it effectively.

The noise of a firewood tumbler will not work for me.

Thanks for the reply choppy

Jim must have bumped the prices, I paid $1500 with shipping to AK for 100. About 500lb pallet. The bags were in the 8 or $9 range before shipping.

5B58D19C-A6B0-41A4-A1C0-A59A901B8366.png
The price of everything has gone up. Lol
Plus $75 for shipping. It’s about the $$$ I’ve seen. Other bags some used peanut bags $5 lol. On eBay

Jim must have bumped the prices, I paid $1500 with shipping to AK for 100. About 500lb pallet. The bags were in the 8 or $9 range before shipping.

Dunno on a website, I had found him on the Ebay and called him. Worked on a price that way.

But quite possible the price went up, I bought them last year.

I have some regular non vented ones that are 10 years old and still doing ok. Getting pretty worn from the UV, the handles break sometimes, but still not too bad.

The used IBC totes around here go for $100-150 each. To hold 30 cords (about what 100 bags will hold), that'd be $30k... if could get that many even. Plus that's a ton of room!

Wow that’s is a great idea. But after searching no dealers listed in the Usa. Is one close in Quebec.

But no $$$. Listed do you mine saying how much it cost or roughly cost. Lol.

Thanks for the reply T.

My guy imported it from Canada. I believe Hakmet was where he got it from. We were around $4,500 to get it landed in the states from Finland. We get the Dino bags for around $12 each. They are holding up a lot better than the woodland mills bags. The woodland bags we were around $18 a piece from Canada. We only get 2 years out of the woodland bags, hoping to get 3 out of the dino bags.

As the cord and dollar numbers increase on paper for totes and bags consider the Posch PackFix system.
Each method, be it totes, bags, or palletizing has pluses and minuses.
Totes pluses are long term use, and no tipping over. Minus's are low loose fill volume, emptying?, room for empties, cost/resale.
Bags pluses are minimal storage, availability, volume over totes. Minus's are number of re-use times, possible tipping, emptying? (Minus has that figured out), setting on pallets?, cost. Zero resale.
Posch pluses four pallets per cord. Lowest cost per cord to bundle. Minus's is up front cost, emptying.

As the numbers get bigger, as seen in these previous thread posts, it comes down to volume to cover costs, the support equipment available, room available, and delivery system, and how long (as in years) do you plan to do firewood.

If you plan to do firewood long term or high volume (100-200 cord), that supports the higher initial equipment cost the Posch may be an option. And in that system there are 'base option' depending on your support equipment.

The volume of wood I do at this time does not support the initial cost. My per cord cost is about $8.00 plus four pallets (cost and re-use varies). Equipment cost with two fill drums/hydro base (turn table base) is/was ball park $16,000. and shipping. Just putting rough numbers out there to give you something to work with. The $8.00 per cord cost is for netting. Netting cost varies depending on single roll pricing or pallet pricing. (I think that may have changed, dropping the single roll price.) The cost I'm giving is based on the netting pallet pricing of 64 rolls. I'm getting 50 pallets wrapped per roll @ $100./roll. 4 pallets/cord.
My thought was bags last a couple years, and still need a pallet under them. If and when, I can sell this machine and get some return back if need be. It is a sweet machine.

I'm very happy with this, absolutely love it. Saves me a ton of effort. Wood seasons very well in netting.
IMG_4682.jpg

I didn't realize it was that much.

I bet a guy could build it for under 2k. Use 300 or 500 gal fuel tanks for the drums.

Wonder why it's only. 25 cord while the bags are .33? Look to be about the same size.

More ramblings this morning from Crane.:drinkingcoffee:
First, my production rate does not warrant the cost of the Posch. It does save me an enormous amount of physical effort and allows potential growth with the proper support equipment to feed it. The more you do, the less per cord cost, due to initial equipment cost.

Overlaying graphs of cost per cord curves for bags, totes and netting would show what is most cost efficient in varying ranges of production. There are other factors too, but a graph would show cost.

-Bags: from post #14...35" x 41" x 54" = 77,490 cu. in. divid by 1,728 cu. in./1 cu. ft. = approx. 45 cu. ft.

-Posch product catalogue (on-line, lots of info), under Billet handling, PackFix page 88. Page 89 indicates the fill drum holds (1) cubic meter, and "refer to page 145 onward" for technical details. Page 146: Special equipment for PackFix Hydro. Article no. "TH" Tilting table, second fill drum etc. If I remember right, again ball park, the TH option was about $6,000. Then under Accessory equipment is the "z9900501" pallet of netting. There is a taller fill drum available, Special equipment Article no. X but is only an option for the Stationary model.
Again under Accessory equipment, "F0002579" says 1.6 loose m. cubed. I'm guessing from page 89 that's (1) stacked cubic meter.
-Okay so that's a bit of jumping around but the numbers are there to work with, and the catalog spells out the different configurations for Stationary, Mobile, and Universal applications, and accessories.

Conversion: (1) cubic meter = 35.31 cu. ft.

1.6 loose cu. meters x (4) pallets = 6.40 cu. meters
6.40 cu. meters x 35.31 cu. ft./1 cu. meters = 226 loose cu. ft.
1.6 loose cu. meters x (3) pallets
= 4.80 cu. meters
4.80 cu. meters x 35.31 cu. ft./1 cu. meter = 169.48 loose cu. ft.

1 stacked cu. meter x (4) pallets = 4.0 cu. meters
4.0 cu meters x 35.31 cu. ft./1 cu. meter = 141.24 stacked cu. ft. (+13.24 cu. ft over 128/cord) or 1/10, or 10% over.
1 stacked cu. meter x (3) pallets = 3.0 cu. meters
3.0 cu. meters x 35.31 cu. ft./1 cu. meter = 105.93 stacked cu. ft. (-22.07 cu. ft under 128/cord) or .17, or 17% under.

Edit:
226 cu. ft. loose is 10% over, so 2o3.4 cu. ft. loose should stack out to 128 cu. ft.

45 cu. ft. per bag
(3) bags = 135 cu. ft. loose fill; from above... (3) pallets loose 169.48 cu. ft.
(4) bags =180 cu. ft. loose fill; from above... (4) pallets loose 226 cu. ft.

Edit:
*Without bag stretch, 4 bags is 11.5% short of 203.4 cu. ft.
However, the fill drum is cylindrical and the bags are rectangular, which may effect a loose fill volume. Stacking is required to know for sure.

Personally I've never tried bags.
I've heard they stretch and therefor hold one third cord. At 135 cu. ft it would have to stretch a lot, 1/3 it's volume.
Someone that uses bags text me that they had problems with bags falling over on pallets when moving them. If they stretch that might very well be a problem unless hung by forks. If not using pallets then how do you pick them up again? I see Mainus uses pallets.
My thought was if I used bags I still needed pallets to put under them. Posch or bags, both need pallets.
So pallet cost is the same for both.
Bags x 3...$45./cord. (reusable)
Netting x 4...$8./cord. (not reusable, but recyclable)
Also, I season Oak one year.
Say I have 100 cord in bags, or 300 bags, sitting in the spring waiting to sell. I need more bags to start processing because the 300 are full. Using the 250 count bag price posted above + shipping = $15./bag. Say 400 bags are needed. That's $6,000. Say your optimistic and replace only 25% per year = $1,500. 50% a year = $3,000.
Now remember you may need need 400 pallets as well. Totes in these numbers take up room, full or empty. Stacked wood/4 totes, loose fill even more. Cost. No longer a consideration.
What if you do 200 cord a year, or 600 bags? That bumps you to $9,000. + 25% ($2,250.)annual replacement.

With the PackFix 100 cord, or 400 pallets wrapped, at $2.00 each. plus pallets.
200 cord, 800 pallets, at $2.00 ea. plus pallets.
Now factor in the initial cost and amortize it over say eight years = $2,000./year.
However, you can do 100 cord or 400 cord, it doesn't matter, it is a fixed price.
It should also retain some resale if maintained. Example:If 50% that's $8,000, making equipment cost for eight years, $1,000./year. Remember if you did 200 cord/year with bags, 25% annual bag replacement cost $2,250.

Comparing:
The PackFix equipment cost of $2,000/year without resale.
50% resale, equipment cost $1,000/year).

If 50% bag replacement, bag cost alone would pay the entire machine and netting cost of 200 cord, or $1,600 for netting the 800 pallets wrapped, and less costly base models are available.
Note: The netting is not reusable. It is a number 4 recyclable plastic.
Note: I am comparing three bags to four pallets. If in fact you need four bags to equal a cord....yikkes!
$60./cord... divided by the times reused.
100 cord is $6,000. for bags
200 cord is $12,000. for bags.
It all depends on the volume you do.

As for building something, I keep the fill drums waxed on the outside so the netting doesn't ride up with the drum as it is lifted.

Again, check out the Posch online catalog as the 'bases' are not interchangeable with one another from what I'm seeing/reading. I went with the Hydro base because it seemed the most efficient, with fewer forklift startups and screwing around. You could opt with a different base and get multiple fill drums also, say six or so to keep filling, and then wrap. The Hydro base is designed to work ideally with two people for continuous filling. Posh also offers other billet handling equipment.

Northeast Implement in Spencer, NY is the sole US importer. There is also a Canadian importer.

Latest posts

Back