All time worst chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know if it's all time worst but I had one of these that was piss poor.

Ryobi-20-Inch-Gas-Chainsaw-Controls.jpg

It was used to cut 1 year's worth of firewood.
I remember the chain brake quit working, it had melted into some plastic.
And it just struggled...a lot. I gave it away after I got me a Husky!

My husqvarna 445 was the worst saw ever made imo.....I traded it for a mccinderblock 3214.

The 445 was underpowered and tended to stall when cutting. I was doing timed cuts against my ry10532 saw and stalled second cut and would not start until the next day and it wasn't flooded.

My experience with the Husky 445 is just the opposite, starts easy and runs strong.

I haven't had the earlier 45cc version, but the Wife's 445 is the 50.2cc version and it's been a Great little saw.

Doug :cheers:

My husqvarna 445 was the worst saw ever made imo.....I traded it for a mccinderblock 3214.

The 445 was underpowered and tended to stall when cutting. I was doing timed cuts against my ry10532 saw and stalled second cut and would not start until the next day and it wasn't flooded.

Sounds like it was tuned wayyyy to rich.

Don't know if it's all time worst but I had one of these that was piss poor.

View attachment 686720

It was used to cut 1 year's worth of firewood.
I remember the chain brake quit working, it had melted into some plastic.
And it just struggled...a lot. I gave it away after I got me a Husky!

I ran one of those Ryobi's once. Felt cheap, and low on power. Ignition switch is placed in a way that it's easy for your thumb to hit it when you move your hand too.

Not the worst saw. Actually a good one to cut but the WORST to work on. I have 2 of them and both needed a topend rebuilt when bought them. Terrible
Really pain in the neck Solo 616AV.jpeg (That's not my picture)

I haven't had the earlier 45cc version, but the Wife's 445 is the 50.2cc version and it's been a Great little saw.

Wait, you're wife has her own saw ? Awesome.
I keep mine confined to the kitchen.

My experience with the Husky 445 is just the opposite, starts easy and runs strong.

Sounds like it was tuned wayyyy to rich.

The saw actually ran really good otherwise, it 4 stroked a just a little out the cut but when ever i would use it to cut something over 14 inch diameter it would just fall flat on its face. It only stalled one time and at that point I just put it away until i gave it away. It was a good looking saw being a black and yellow craftsman badged husqvarna.

The saw actually ran really good otherwise, it 4 stroked a just a little out the cut but when ever i would use it to cut something over 14 inch diameter it would just fall flat on its face. It only stalled one time and at that point I just put it away until i gave it away. It was a good looking saw being a black and yellow craftsman badged husqvarna.

My Wife's saw came with an 18" B&C, I have buried it full bar length in D Fir, and it just kept cutting, the chain was SHARP, and I didn't lean on it, and just let the saw self feed, I was plenty Happy with it's performance for a $305.00 saw, my 353 will out cut it, but that is a different class saw, and for what the saw is, I have no complaints. I have Husky's from the little 23 Compact Top Handle to the 3120XP, with saws in between, and bars from 13" to 60", so I usually have an "Appropriate saw" for any job, when used for a job suited to it the 445 has performed well for us.

Marley5 Said:
Wait, you're wife has her own saw ? Awesome.
I keep mine confined to the kitchen.

Hi Marley, Yep my Wife does indeed have HER OWN SAW, and actually wanted it.:D

My Wife enjoys running the splitter, we usually piggy back the splitter to the woods in the big trailer, and my Wife will split as I buck up rounds for her.
I get the splitter set up near the trailer, and get some rounds piled for her, our system is pretty much Buck while she splits, when she gets a pile of splits I load them, so in production I, Buck , roll her rounds, load splits, Buck roll rounds, load splits, repeat, repeat, repeat............:)

In 2017 on one wood trip, I was limbing with the 23 Compact, a little Top Handle Husky, and my Wife was watching, and said "I Can Do That", and after limbing for awhile she decided that she wanted HER OWN saw, I felt that the 445 was the right Power, weight, Price balance for her, I tried to find a 445 with a 16" B&C, but everyone had the 18" models in stock, so that was what I got her, She got it for Christmas, and was Absolutely Thrilled when she unwrapped it.

I put the 18" B&C on it after she unwrapped it, but I also have 16" and 13" bars that fit her saw and my 353. The first time we went wood cutting with her new saw, I put the 13" B&C on it, so she could get used to visualizing where that bar tip is, to avoid kick back and "Rocking" the chain, She wanted NOTHING to do with that 13" Bar, said it was EMBARRASSING :laughing:.

Some of her Friends Looked at ME, in a Strange way:confused: when she told them what she got for Christmas, then they gave HER the Strange looks when she said that it was what she WANTED:eek:.

Her Birthday is the second week of January, and she didn't have time to plan the Party she wanted for her 50th, this year, so it was a little late, but in the Firewood section, if you search for "Rae's Flannel Fest 2018" you will find a thread with a bunch of pictures of her party, she decided to do a "Lumber Jill" theme, and we had the Neighborhood lodge well decorated for it, and all the Gals had fun with a theme that few had ever tried before.

Yep, I'm a Lucky Man to have a Wife that Enjoys going wood cutting, she also Enjoys Shooting, Camping, Boating, Is my Favorite Fishing Buddy, and my Best Friend, She is Definitely a "Keeper":yes:

Who buys a cordless chainsaw?
Isn't that kinda like buying a cordless airliner engine?
How many cords of wood do you get out of 3 flashbulbs' worth of electricity?

Good cordless saws kick ass. You don't buy them to cut cords of firewood, you buy them to clear the downed limbs and small trees off your property after a storm and a decent saw can take care or two to three 8" diameter trees or branches on a single battery. I use them while splitting wood. Whenever I get one of those pieces of wood that just wants to splinter instead of split a couple seconds with the electric saw takes it apart. With an electric saw I've already finished the cut when I would be still firing up a gas saw. I can also cut wood in the evening without annoying my neighbors or cut wood indoors. An electric chainsaw has its place in demolition work.

Now that 18v Ryobi I referred to is not a good cordless saw by any stretch of the imagination. It's the worst saw I own, followed closely by my David Bradley, but the David Bradley has the excuse of being an antique.

Good cordless saws kick ass. You don't buy them to cut cords of firewood, you buy them to clear the downed limbs and small trees off your property after a storm and a decent saw can take care or two to three 8" diameter trees or branches on a single battery. I use them while splitting wood. Whenever I get one of those pieces of wood that just wants to splinter instead of split a couple seconds with the electric saw takes it apart. With an electric saw I've already finished the cut when I would be still firing up a gas saw. I can also cut wood in the evening without annoying my neighbors or cut wood indoors. An electric chainsaw has its place in demolition work.

Now that 18v Ryobi I referred to is not a good cordless saw by any stretch of the imagination. It's the worst saw I own, followed closely by my David Bradley, but the David Bradley has the excuse of being an antique.

Good for frozen turkey too.

This is easy.
Any saw, no mater how good, maintained and operated by any idiot. That right there is the worse saw you'd ever use. I get good entertainment watching my neighbor smoke one Stihl after another. Now he's getting Huskys and before the Stihls it was Poulans. If he'd just leave them alone they would be better off, but I wouldn't be nowhere near as entertained.

That plastic Homelite above holy roller...

Any chainsaw made by Troy Bilt...

Older 2000s craftsman saws with the tool free chain tensioner. The secret is that even if you can get the chain tight the saw won't run and then, while trying to pull on it to start it again wilst putting the chain back on, it will break.

The craftsman/poulans in the wild thing days withspring antivibe. was flimsy as hell and broke alot and made it harder to work on for no reason. Also, they made a 50cc with a 20" bar that was flipping atrocious. Dad has one and the thing had about 10 tanks of fuel through it since we bought it in the early 2000s. It breaks so frequently and is such misery to use. Clutch, oiler, choke pull, carb pieces broke off, av springs snapping....

Back