Help me choose!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5001 is the makita version of the 5105.

Where's @spike60 ? I bet he could get him a 555

Current dealer cost on the 555 is just above $500. I sell them for $550. Not saying you should get the 555 because several saws in this thread will do what you need them to do at or below your price limit, but...…………..

Rigid adherence to a target price, that was established before you even started looking at the saws, can result in a disappointing purchase. Guys frequently use the phrase "can't justify" when exceeding their target price. But how does one justify spending $500 if the saw you'd really rather have is not that much more expensive? You're going to have it for a very long time. I get it if the money is just not there, and you need a saw now. Then the deal has to be: this is how much I have to spend on a saw, so what are the best options for that money?

And a slight rant: Since the beginning of this site, a common narrative that is repeated over and over when comparing firewood saws is this stupid phobia about saws with plastic crankcases. The discussion always takes this "don't get a saw with a plastic case" refrain and plenty of good options for the prospective buyer are overlooked because of this. Echo guys are quick to play the plastic card, cause saws like the 590 are mag cased. Then the "gotta get a pro saw" guys jump in as well. Heck, I was probably saying the same thing 10-15 years ago.

But, where are all the failures over the past 15+ years due plastic crankcases? These saws sell in such huge numbers for both Husky and Stihl. High volume dealers like myself should have plenty of dead plastic case saws in the boneyard if those crankcases were indeed a liability. I have NEVER seen a 455/460 Rancher fail because of a plastic crankcase. Very reliable saws that just run and run. The 555 is nicer to run, but a 460 will hang with it power wise. And it's the same with product from Stihl. The evidence shows that these saws will hold up just fine over the long haul. There is absolutely zero reason to avoid them because of the plastic crankcase. Truthfully, the plastic case can often take a hit without damage better than some of their mag cased counterparts.

The plastic case saws have proven themselves over the years to the point that it's time to lay this phobia to rest. Continuing to tell guys to avoid them is really no longer the knowledgeable advice they came here looking for.

Current dealer cost on the 555 is just above $500. I sell them for $550. Not saying you should get the 555 because several saws in this thread will do what you need them to do at or below your price limit, but...…………..

Rigid adherence to a target price, that was established before you even started looking at the saws, can result in a disappointing purchase. Guys frequently use the phrase "can't justify" when exceeding their target price. But how does one justify spending $500 if the saw you'd really rather have is not that much more expensive? You're going to have it for a very long time. I get it if the money is just not there, and you need a saw now. Then the deal has to be: this is how much I have to spend on a saw, so what are the best options for that money?

And a slight rant: Since the beginning of this site, a common narrative that is repeated over and over when comparing firewood saws is this stupid phobia about saws with plastic crankcases. The discussion always takes this "don't get a saw with a plastic case" refrain and plenty of good options for the prospective buyer are overlooked because of this. Echo guys are quick to play the plastic card, cause saws like the 590 are mag cased. Then the "gotta get a pro saw" guys jump in as well. Heck, I was probably saying the same thing 10-15 years ago.

But, where are all the failures over the past 15+ years due plastic crankcases? These saws sell in such huge numbers for both Husky and Stihl. High volume dealers like myself should have plenty of dead plastic case saws in the boneyard if those crankcases were indeed a liability. I have NEVER seen a 455/460 Rancher fail because of a plastic crankcase. Very reliable saws that just run and run. The 555 is nicer to run, but a 460 will hang with it power wise. And it's the same with product from Stihl. The evidence shows that these saws will hold up just fine over the long haul. There is absolutely zero reason to avoid them because of the plastic crankcase. Truthfully, the plastic case can often take a hit without damage better than some of their mag cased counterparts.

The plastic case saws have proven themselves over the years to the point that it's time to lay this phobia to rest. Continuing to tell guys to avoid them is really no longer the knowledgeable advice they came here looking for.

This should be stickied!

I wish there was a love option for this post.

Spot on sir.

I need a new chainsaw for cutting firewood. The old echo 500 VL has died. This will be my only chainsaw for cutting 4-5 cords oak/maple/ black cherry/ash per year and the occasional storm cleanup....
Like to stay under $500.
No Dolmar or Jonsered dealers around me...but lots for Stihl, Husqvarna and Echo.

I’m thinking:
echo cs-590
Husqvarna 545
Husqvarna 450
Echo CS-490

Not opposed to Stihl but they seem more pricey...

Any advice appreciated!

If you can spend an extra $50-75 I'd highly recommend a Stihl ms261 with an 18" bar. You won't be disappointed. Has almost the same power as a 555 and nearly 2 pounds lighter! You'll love it.

F67A1F06-7A66-420F-AFB0-02A8F081E771.jpeg

I couldn’t agree more!
I went to my local Husky/Stihl dealer yesterday after agonizing over which chainsaw to buy. I was ready to pony up for the Husqvarna 545... my dealer talked me out of it. He said “ the only difference between this and the 450 is that you have to pay me $100 to plug a computer intothe 545 and update the software... if you were flying back and forth to the Rockies to cut trees I’d say go for it.... but I think you’ll do fine with the 450.”
He was right.
I got a 450 with the premixed fuel, a plastic case, bar oil, a file kit and a hat out the door for $420. Pretty hard to beat. The saw is light, cuts well... I’m really happy with it. I could have bought the more expensive saw, but in reality the 450 is more than adequate for my needs!

A hat! Man, I never got no stinkin hat with any of my new Echos!

But I did save about $400, plus the tax on that 400, by settling for a plastic clamshell echo 361p over a similar style magnesium case Stihl ms201cem.
And no electronics there on the Echo either. And the Echo is lighter.

View attachment 687343
I couldn’t agree more!
I went to my local Husky/Stihl dealer yesterday after agonizing over which chainsaw to buy. I was ready to pony up for the Husqvarna 545... my dealer talked me out of it. He said “ the only difference between this and the 450 is that you have to pay me $100 to plug a computer intothe 545 and update the software... if you were flying back and forth to the Rockies to cut trees I’d say go for it.... but I think you’ll do fine with the 450.”
He was right.
I got a 450 with the premixed fuel, a plastic case, bar oil, a file kit and a hat out the door for $420. Pretty hard to beat. The saw is light, cuts well... I’m really happy with it. I could have bought the more expensive saw, but in reality the 450 is more than adequate for my needs!

We sell a ton of 450's. They go out and stay out. Real smooth on the anti vibe too. Smart choice and enjoy it in good health!

I believe that beats my deal on a ms271 with a 20in bar. I got the saw, box, oil to double the warranty (soon to be worthless anyway) and a spare chain for 430 otd.

Congratulations on the new saw. You will enjoy it. As I said in an earlier reply I have had my 450 for years and cut a lot of firewood with it and have not had a single issue. Keep the chain sharp and let her eat!

Finally got to cut up some wood today.... scored a truckload of Norway Maple. The Husky cuts great!

Attachments

• 5D7AAA5A-046F-488D-A62A-E1C1245D3223.jpeg
    5D7AAA5A-046F-488D-A62A-E1C1245D3223.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
  • B87ED230-510A-46DA-822F-3B9C60C09CEC.jpeg
    B87ED230-510A-46DA-822F-3B9C60C09CEC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20
Back