Cold bar oil.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Countyline bar oil is 7.99 at TS everyday. How much does a bar cost? You will save more money using cheaper oil and replacing the bar from time to time. Been using countyline bar oil for years and my bar last just as long.

Getting OT of which oil and back to the container, I started putting bar oil in an old Palmolive squirt bottles. I'd have one on the truck, garage, and shed. If I am doing a real job with big saws, I might put all 3 squirt bottles on the truck. One of my friends, that is a printer, saw them and thought it was a good idea and gave me some kind of Hazmat compliant squirt bottles they use. What I like is I can control the flow and never overflow the tank.

The loggers here buy the Silver, they say it stays on the chain and bar better. They don't use saws nearly as much as they use to. Tree shears do 90% of the felling I expect that is why they buy it now. They still use the long bars for the big trees.
Any good bar oil will do but for the high dollar bars and chains I truly believe it is better, and Stihl want even give me a hat unless I am in a class at stihl school lol

I cut about 100 cord this year using only one saw and bar and the bar is still going strong. I sometimes run the saw for several hours burning tank after tank and making long cuts noodling big rounds and cutting big logs. All of my wood is at least 24'' or bigger. I only use countyline bar oil at 7.99 a gallon. No way am I buying oil for twice as much when the cheap stuff does the job just fine.

Nice Idea Brother. I purchased that stuff Menards sells, I believe it was FVP, dear god it sucked. It was maybe 25deg, horrible. I will buy a better brand next time, for now, leave in truck while out in woods!

I cut about 100 cord this year using only one saw and bar and the bar is still going strong. I sometimes run the saw for several hours burning tank after tank and making long cuts noodling big rounds and cutting big logs. All of my wood is at least 24'' or bigger. I only use countyline bar oil at 7.99 a gallon. No way am I buying oil for twice as much when the cheap stuff does the job just fine.
Yep, I agree. I splurge and buy Itasca bar oil at $10.99 a gal. It seems like a heavier weight oil than TSC.

I don't like the smell of diesel, so I thin basic bar oil up to about 20% with kerosene for cold weather use.

This is a special issue with electric and battery powered saws, which don't have combustion to heat the oil. But, since they don't contain gas, I can bring the saws and oil inside, overnight, to start out warm.

+1 on converting 'no-spill' laundry jugs for oil.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/what-do-you-keep-your-bar-oil-in.303031/

Philbert

Canola oil here. Would use it even if wasn't the cheapest by a country mile.

WMO in my saws...flow at almost any temperature....and practically "free"

Back