How much wood do you burn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Toledo! That's a lot of wood, and a lot of space to heat. Where I live, that 24 cords of wood would cost just under $10k so I'd probably burn more natural gas. Of course I don't have a natural gas line to my house.
Luckily I live in the middle of tons of state land where there is more dead/downed wood within 1/2 mile of my house than I could possibly ever use. If I had to buy wood, it wouldn't make sense and I'd just run natural gas. Last winter, I had 40 couple days straight of below zero, that really ate the wood.

I used to have some older lady customers that would burn 5-6 a year in Texas! One even got half green wood to mix in. All of them have passed on, and woods high enough now people don’t burn so much.

Luckily I live in the middle of tons of state land where there is more dead/downed wood within 1/2 mile of my house than I could possibly ever use. If I had to buy wood, it wouldn't make sense and I'd just run natural gas. Last winter, I had 40 couple days straight of below zero, that really ate the wood.

Sounds like a win/win to me. I've got a couple oaks that have fallen on my property, but it's a pretty steep 300 foot hike up to get them. Dragging huge branches down the hill is fun, hiking back up not so much.

3 to 3.5 cords a year with a blaze king princess in a 2500sq ft ranch. No other source of heat is used. Got solar on the house this year so I could give pse&g, our local supplier here in NJ the middle finger

Sounds like a win/win to me. I've got a couple oaks that have fallen on my property, but it's a pretty steep 300 foot hike up to get them. Dragging huge branches down the hill is fun, hiking back up not so much.
It certainly works for the family! Most of the woods around me are the perfect age where there is TONS of 3“-10" standing dead oak and maple. This was today's load, took 2 hours to fill the trailer and truck. The atv is the skidding workhorse.

15,000 - 17,000 lbs of wood. Kuuma Vapor Fire heating an inefficient log cabin style house w/ loft, 32'x42' footprint and ~33,000CF of airspace to heat (equivalent volume of a 32'x42' building with 24.5' tall ceilings, so not your typical 1,300SF house).

15,000 - 17,000 lbs of wood. Kuuma Vapor Fire heating an inefficient log cabin style house w/ loft, 32'x42' footprint and ~33,000CF of airspace to heat (equivalent volume of a 32'x42' building with 24.5' tall ceilings, so not your typical 1,300SF house).

That's awesome. Ordered mine three weeks ago on Tuesday. Dale said it'd be about three weeks. So, by my math, we should be getting pretty close. I'm very excited. I bet I've already burned about 2 cords of oak in my Yukon Klondike this year. And probably lit 80 fires :( It'll be really nice to actually get overnight burns.

That's awesome. Ordered mine three weeks ago on Tuesday. Dale said it'd be about three weeks. So, by my math, we should be getting pretty close. I'm very excited. I bet I've already burned about 2 cords of oak in my Yukon Klondike this year. And probably lit 80 fires :( It'll be really nice to actually get overnight burns.

I did some tweaks to mine, mainly my return and supply air to increase the delivered efficiency of the heat produced. Once you get yours up and running I can share them with you if you want. I am actually running a speed controlled blower system, which speeds up and slows down based on plenum temps. It works fantastic. My blower doesn't shut off at all until there is really nothing left in the firebox but a very few dimly lit embers. It just slows way down. About where are you in W WI?

I did some tweaks to mine, mainly my return and supply air to increase the delivered efficiency of the heat produced. Once you get yours up and running I can share them with you if you want. I am actually running a speed controlled blower system, which speeds up and slows down based on plenum temps. It works fantastic. My blower doesn't shut off at all until there is really nothing left in the firebox but a very few dimly lit embers. It just slows way down. About where are you in W WI?

I'm in River Falls. Just across the river from the twin cities. If you ever make it up this way, I'd love to have you. Good food and beer around these parts. :) I'm just gonna run return air from the open door to the basement for now. The current furnace doesn't have a duct set up to bring air to it, and I don't think I'll tackle it this winter. Getting as efficient as possible someday would be great, but just being able to run the thing more than two hours without stoking it will be life-changing.

I'm in River Falls. Just across the river from the twin cities. If you ever make it up this way, I'd love to have you. Good food and beer around these parts. :) I'm just gonna run return air from the open door to the basement for now. The current furnace doesn't have a duct set up to bring air to it, and I don't think I'll tackle it this winter. Getting as efficient as possible someday would be great, but just being able to run the thing more than two hours without stoking it will be life-changing.

I have my cold air as an open staircase as well and it works great. I'm just taking the warmer air off the basement ceiling instead of the basement floor. Also have some reclamation ducts in place which suck the heated air off the face of the Kuuma and injects it into the cold air.

yeah, having to stoke it every couple hours would get old. There's no doing that with the Kuuma.

Have any pictures ?
6wheel cart from a dollar store.
1202181040.jpg
Best to find the stock carts used as new one are a little pricey, http://www.worldmarketsupply.com/pg-stockcarts2.html

This is a 4wheel cart I built out of 2x4's. 1202181042.jpg
both work well for loading up at the basement door and just rolling next to the stove. It takes a little effor to move the wooden cart, the 6wheel I just push with one hand

An older summit? Baffle has no holes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure if it’s a summit, was in the house when we bought it. Baffle is good. If it’s clear (high pressure?) it still burns pretty active even turned down all the way, door seal looks good.

2300 sq ft 1970's modular with additions. Questionable insulation, doors and windows. We burn 3 to 4 chords of mostly lodge pole in a Blaze King Princess. It took the gas company 2 months before they came to check the meter as the previous owners were spending $200 to $500 in natural gas and electricity. Dude thought I was doing something fishy until I told him what I installed. My bill now around $120 a month.

I remember one year the lows for the winter was in the 40's with the highs at least 60. We did see 20 below for a few days, but once every several years. You would think the end of the world just took place because every one went into full blown panic. Last year I can not remember it even freezing. So would have to say enough to keep me warm. Thanks

Not sure if it’s a summit, was in the house when we bought it. Baffle is good. If it’s clear (high pressure?) it still burns pretty active even turned down all the way, door seal looks good.

When I say holes I mean factory drilled holes to achieve secondary burn.

If I remember correctly the baffles used to not have them and now they do

ac3c130559e72259e9c7b6ead9291838.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

London UK so generally mild winters with a few dips below freezing. 1930s brick house, about 1300 sqft I think. 2 small stoves in a largely open plan ground floor will keep it about 22C there and 19C in the bedrooms above. Gas boiler on the thermostat does the morning warmth, 2 cords does the evenings and weekends. My gas usage last year was half the pre stove days and still cook and heat water with gas. Pleased with that.

Latest posts

Back