Inside the MS462C - Snellerized Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still love my 371 though.. ported they sure are fun

The 371 is fine and for most people - plenty sturdy. It was mainly the long-bar fallers in the PNW that had the problem.

My dad's old falling partner pre-ordered 2 371s before they even arrived in North America and he said they were the best all-around falling saws he ever owned.

This cylinder did not have a flat spot on the top for my live center, so I put it on a tight PVC mandrel and turned it down until I had a flat spot in the center. I then took .007" off the base, resulting in a squish of .018".

37-L.jpg

36-L.jpg

39-L.jpg

38-L.jpg

43-L.jpg

Here's the porting completed. Yes, I gutted the strato. In my experience, nothing else comes close to making the power in these saws like the 241 and 261 do with the stratos gutted. The saw is back together, MTronic reset, and it runs fantastic with lighting throttle response. Unfortunately, it's after 10:00, raining, and there is no way I can make a video of it cutting. Sorry, I'd love to run it as well!

44-L.jpg

45-L.jpg

The bottom ring end pin is off to the side of the exhaust port, so I only widened it in the other direction. That's why the bottom of the port looks a little off.

46-L.jpg

48-L.jpg

49-L.jpg

50-L.jpg

51-L.jpg

52-L.jpg

Trying to wrap my head around the gutting of the strato ... should be able to get sufficient fuel in the firing chamber without messing with ... my guess is Runtime per tank will be diminished with this mod

My anxiety level is through the roof seeing your new saw torn apart like that. I wouldn’t think twice about one of my older saws, but brand new? Have you noticed any shorter life of the saws that have been ported, or is it about the same as a stock saw?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This cylinder did not have a flat spot on the top for my live center, so I put it on a tight PVC mandrel and turned it down until I had a flat spot in the center. I then took .007" off the base, resulting in a squish of .018".

37-L.jpg

36-L.jpg

39-L.jpg

38-L.jpg

43-L.jpg

Here's the porting completed. Yes, I gutted the strato. In my experience, nothing else comes close to making the power in these saws like the 241 and 261 do with the stratos gutted. The saw is back together, MTronic reset, and it runs fantastic with lighting throttle response. Unfortunately, it's after 10:00, raining, and there is no way I can make a video of it cutting. Sorry, I'd love to run it as well!

44-L.jpg

45-L.jpg

The bottom ring end pin is off to the side of the exhaust port, so I only widened it in the other direction. That's why the bottom of the port looks a little off.

46-L.jpg

48-L.jpg

49-L.jpg

50-L.jpg

51-L.jpg

52-L.jpg
Great pics there Brad thanks for sharing looking forward to seeing it in some wood :numberone:

The new mtronic procedure is actually a calibration not so much a reset. I did one on my 462 the other day not because it actually need it but I wanted to see what is was like when I did it, it feels very strange. Also the factory large spikes for these are 11226640501 & 0506. The chain catcher looks to have gone back to the old style one with the nut on the out side of the cover. These spikes the have the large bottom spike but not the extra thickness in the body like the 660 magnum spikes so you don’t lose cut length. I actually put the same spikes on my 441 back in the day. These ones with the shorter, round bottom bottom spike are more commonly found on 064’s. the 661 spikes are different again
66570d98e044ecf08c6e792114b81ad4.jpg
6a02af954ff98c3d1834245cf225bd84.jpg

Another thing regarding the spikes is they all superseded a little while ago when the chain catcher changed. The hole in the putter one was made large so the pin with a thread could go through it. If you replaced a catcher assy on and early one you had to drill the hole out

The saw is back together, MTronic reset, and it runs fantastic with lighting throttle response.

The reset procedure of the video you posted is for normal operation with the saw in stock configuration from the factory. Give the saw to your dealer and let him do the calibration in conjunction with the software. That changes regulating limits, it would be good for a ported machine. The calibration with software is like tuning the carb without limiter caps (full range availible). Calibration without software is like tuning the carb with seated limiter caps.

The reset procedure of the video you posted is for normal operation with the saw in stock configuration from the factory. Give the saw to your dealer and let him do the calibration in conjunction with the software. That changes regulating limits, it would be good for a ported machine. The calibration with software is like tuning the carb without limiter caps (full range availible). Calibration without software is like tuning the carb with seated limiter caps.
Yah ... I believe the dealer is prohibited from working on a modded saw ... that being said I’ve reset earlier modded mtronic versions and it took ... no reason to believe that this new version wood be any different

It’s a tiny little intake port and a strato saw, so traditional intake timing doesn’t fully apply.
Yah ... only reason I can see to gut them is to get a bit more fuel at higher rpm ... personally I wood leave them be and get my hp thru other methods ....

Yah ... only reason I can see to gut them is to get a bit more fuel at higher rpm ... personally I wood leave them be and get my hp thru other methods ....
Which other mods do you think would work here? I’m curious.

He has already opened the muffler, he advanced the timing, and did machine work that’s likely gonna increase the compression 20 psi.

TreeMonkey built a beast of a saw. It popped a bit from too much advance, but that’s not a flaw, it’s a learning point. Easy to dial back to find the sweet spot. Also could have to do with difference in elevation the saws were run at. Many of us had odd tuning issues that day. I’m not so sure that it didn’t confuse the MT system and add advance.

The stratos ungutted should just make the MT increase fuel flow till it all equalizes. I’ve personally not gutted them, but Randy and Brad both find real power in doing it. Reality trumps theory every time.

Which other mods do you think would work here? I’m curious.

He has already opened the muffler, he advanced the timing, and did machine work that’s likely gonna increase the compression 20 psi.

TreeMonkey built a beast of a saw. It popped a bit from too much advance, but that’s not a flaw, it’s a learning point. Easy to dial back to find the sweet spot. Also could have to do with difference in elevation the saws were run at. Many of us had odd tuning issues that day. I’m not so sure that it didn’t confuse the MT system and add advance.

The stratos ungutted should just make the MT increase fuel flow till it all equalizes. I’ve personally not gutted them, but Randy and Brad both find real power in doing it. Reality trumps theory every time.
I agree ... what you do on the chalkboard sometimes doesn’t equate to real-world experience ... I’m just curious as to run time per tank with this “gutted stratos “ mod ... on my stock 241c I can cut a good amount of wood per tank - on the insane-0 Saw run time is down a bit but overall more wood cut - if run time is of no consideration than I say go for the gutted stratos - just my opinion here (in a production environment , cutting non-stop 6 hrs) - if my run time per tank is 1/2 than maybe not worth to gut em ! Pure speculation on my part as I don’t have a gutted one to compare

Latest posts

Back