Real men don't wear ear plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always had sensitive ears. Just hammering in a shop would bother them so I use ear muffs for everything and my hearing is great at 42. I can shake a brand new incandescent light bulb and hear the filament rattle.

I have had a giant box of those for almost 20 years. The box is finally about empty, hence the new purchase. The rolling up before inserting is what I am looking to get away from with these new plugs. I'm thinking/hoping I can one handed partially remove a plug so I can communicate with my fellow wood cutting friends, and then simply push it back in with one hand and continue cutting.

You should get the valve style one. They have like 5db of attenuation when the sound level is below 80ish db and 30db when above.

I have had a giant box of those for almost 20 years. The box is finally about empty, hence the new purchase. The rolling up before inserting is what I am looking to get away from with these new plugs. I'm thinking/hoping I can one handed partially remove a plug so I can communicate with my fellow wood cutting friends, and then simply push it back in with one hand and continue cutting.

If they don’t work there is a foam type that I have used why it’s called no touch. They have a little plastic thing inside them that you grab it and just push the plug in your ear. I’m on my phone right now, so I can’t find the link. When I get home later tonight I will look for them.

One Magazine through a .45ACP 1911 convinced me to never do that again, in a less than Life Threatening, or Imminent serious Bodily Injury situation.

Of course Loud Music, Chainsaws, outboard motors(Not as Bad) ATV's snowmobiles etc. etc. etc haven't helped either, but yeah diminished hearing SUCKS, and I wish that I could go back and do a LOT of things differently.

Like U&A, I like my cutting helmet, mine is convenient and Comfortable

Doug :cheers:

Thank you for calling it a “magazine” !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for calling it a “magazine” !!!

Oh Shoot, did I do that Again, I was thinking about new material for the "Reading Room" when I did that.

Gotta Go, I'm on my way to buy some new "Clips" for my Gun and a New "Blade" for my Chainsaw;):):):)

Oh Shoot, did I do that Again, I was thinking about new material for the "Reading Room" when I did that.

Gotta Go, I'm on my way to buy some new "Clips" for my Gun and a New "Blade" for my Chainsaw;):):):)

LMFAO!!

At a gun show over 25 years ago there was a man making custom earplugs. A cotton ball was followed by a liquid gel that solidified in 15 or so minutes. They are still the best plugs I have ever used. They are more difficult to insert as they need to be rotated into place while pulling back the ear with the other hand from behind, so I only use them when shooting. I do have one rifle that even those plugs don't block enough sound -- a Weatherby MarkV in 30-378 with a muzzle brake. Plugs and ear muffs only when shooting that monster. Without, I am sure a single shot could cause some instant and irreparable damage.
Funny you mention the weatherby, I have a vanguard in 7mm rem mag with a muzzle brake and that rifle is downright painful to shoot between the report and the recoil.

Funny you mention the weatherby, I have a vanguard in 7mm rem mag with a muzzle brake and that rifle is downright painful to shoot between the report and the recoil.

My M700 in 7mm is my go to deer rifle. Not at all painful to shoot, and for a single shot I don't even feel it or hear it. Bucks think otherwise.

My M700 in 7mm is my go to deer rifle. Not at all painful to shoot, and for a single shot I don't even feel it or hear it. Bucks think otherwise.
I think it is just the light weight and short barrel on the weatherby. My father has a Remington 700 also chambered in 7mm that is nowhere near as bad but it is heavier with 3 more inches of barrel.

I also like my helmet with ears and face shield , I will say I also always wear safety glasses even under my mesh shield.

I can say I am fairly certain the hermit saved my life when I had a widow maker came down and struck me in the helmet and then pin me to the ground , wasn't even the tree I was cutting on.

my day job is fixing phones , I need to be able to hear and see colors or I need to find a new job so I wear my ear protection.

as for the safety glasses , I took a wire clipping to the eye when I was 18 , I got to spend a week wondering if I was going to see right again , I got lucky and the damage wasn't bad . who would have thought clipping wire not even a power tool. the guy who sat across the table from me in high school home room wasn't so lucky , he got his eye with a screw driver when it slipped , by senior year he had a glass eye.

Update. I have been using the linked ear plugs all season, and I do like them. I have other plugs that block more noise, but these are perfect for power saw noise level. Easy to put in, and the cord keeps them together and they hang off my neck nicely when I remove them to clear away the slash.

Again --> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072LCHV2S/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yah....them and the earmuffs! Tinnitus is no fun!.....50 years of chainsaws ect. including a Cap wife for 30 years.....

Unfortunately for me, I didn’t protect my ears as a young man and one of my favorite hobbies is shooting guns. I’m 46 now and suffer from severe ringing in my ears at all times. Sometimes the ringing is deafening and drives me crazy. Protect those ears!!

Latest posts

Back