Inside the MS462C - Snellerized Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah ... what a bluebird day ... high skies and almost 60 here ... lovely day for Saw-work

I have two of them

I know how the work

Just was thinking it lets fresh air in one it and might want run leaner then all the air running through the fuel side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s the 64000 question

When you delete the strato do you unhook the fresh air butterfly or what?

I have two of them

I know how the work

Just was thinking it lets fresh air in one it and might want run leaner then all the air running through the fuel side

You must be thinking of a 441. There's no fresh air butterfly on this saw. It has a single venturi carb.

I have two of them

I know how the work

maybe not cause it to be lean, but lets look at at it.

DSC00101.JPG

most of the venturi has been removed from the lower part of the carb, this should increase air flow. by gutting the strato one would think that there would be less flow through the top half of the carb. I believe this is true. less air flow means less pressure drop and less fuel delivered. so now to compensate it needs to be richened. no problem, however with lower air speed in the card the fuel won't atomize as well. this can cause some poor performance issues.

the strato ports were added to 2strokes to purge the exhaust gas from the cylinder before the fresh charge enters the cylinder. it seems to me that gutting the stratos is just pumping fuel out the muffler. if i'm wrong, please explain
I agree ... perhaps at high-rpm a bit more fuel is combustible and that’s where Mr Snelling is finding his gains ... but alas what you gain here ya lose there - simple physics 101

Oh what a nice day ! Couldn’t ask for a better day for Saw work / testing !!!!!

the strato ports were added to 2strokes to purge the exhaust gas from the cylinder before the fresh charge enters the cylinder. it seems to me that gutting the stratos is just pumping fuel out the muffler. if i'm wrong, please explain

Fresh air
No fuel

maybe not cause it to be lean, but lets look at at it.

View attachment 687768

most of the venturi has been removed from the lower part of the carb, this should increase air flow. by gutting the strato one would think that there would be less flow through the top half of the carb. I believe this is true. less air flow means less pressure drop and less fuel delivered. so now to compensate it needs to be richened. no problem, however with lower air speed in the card the fuel won't atomize as well. this can cause some poor performance issues.

Would the increase in air flow from the rest of the port job negate some/all of that?

Jumping to conclusions one way or the other is a fool's game, as none of us have multi-million-dollar simulation equipment, and I know only a few here are actually engineers. So for the most part you're just pulling stuff out of thin air, as per usual on internet forums. I have several theories I could shoot out, but do any of them have any real clout? Maybe maybe not, no more than the next guy with known experience, that much I can tell you. I know I've bored carbs our so big that in theory they should not work do to lack of velocity, but man do they work well.

My theory for what it's worth. 1. Not all of the Strato charge is escaping, now being mixed with fuel it adds to combustion, in a since like adding finger ports. 2. The extra flow is creating a vacuum effect sucking more charge through the transfers as the gases move through the exhaust port.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday.

Latest posts

Back