Used ms261 or new ms261c-m

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Koenig

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey. I am looking to get a smaller saw for just some ground work and firewood processing at home. I found a nice used 261 for $325, but can also buy a brand new from dealer 261c-m for $580. I know the new one is quite a bit more, but is it worth the extra money? I am tempted to buy brand new(never have).

Hey. I am looking to get a smaller saw for just some ground work and firewood processing at home. I found a nice used 261 for $325, but can also buy a brand new from dealer 261c-m for $580. I know the new one is quite a bit more, but is it worth the extra money? I am tempted to buy brand new(never have).
buy them both, then you won't have to make that though decision

Around here you get 10% off on a new one. The newer saw IF it is the N.E. ms261 is less weight. And has Mtronic well worth the upgrade. And Stihl has a great resale value so look at your new saw as a CD, they hold value if you decide to sell. I'd go new all the way. Buy the 6 pack of oil to double your warranty.

Ok, kinda what I was leaning towards.

Curveball - I can also grab a brand new Husky 562xp for $550....... skip the ms261 c-m and go husky? Dollar x dollar the husky seems like the better choice.

Only plan on running a 20” max, max on the 261c-m but the 562xp can go up to 28”. So the 562xp should rip

Ms261 cm great saw but you can’t go wrong with either

Back