Starting a sharpening service

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about " Always Sharp Chainsaw Sharpening "

I wish you luck . You seem to have a cliental already to get started. I have wanted to do this also but it is a hard way to make a buck unless you have a saw shop in a good location. In my location the local hardware store sharpens saw chain for $5. Hardly seems worth it and they do a lousy job.

I do better grinding stumps verses grinding saw chain.

When I sharpen for others and the rakers need filing, I just tell the owners the rakers need filing. Anybody can do it, so I put the burden back on them.

That doesn't sound like much of a sharpening service. When I spend the money (rarely) I expect to get a chain back that's ready to cut.

That doesn't sound like much of a sharpening service. When I spend the money (rarely) I expect to get a chain back that's ready to cut.

I agree. Seems pretty lame to me. Yes, anyone can do it, provided they have a gauge to ensure the depth gauges all end up at the same height, and a decent file, but in my mind, the point of getting a chain ground is to get everything set up correctly, just like you say. The teeth should all be the same length, filed at the same angle with identical gullets, etc, and the depth gauges should all be set to the right height.

Those are the freebies. Neighbors and friends. They don't complain, unlike like everybody here does. Honestly, I would not sharpen a stick for most of you whiny perfectionist.

Exactly? And if you found something not exactly identical and perfect to your specifications, would you do what? Get on the internet? Refuse to pay? Bad mouth the job to everybody that will listen?

Firewood Daddy should take a note. These are your customers.

I agree. Seems pretty lame to me. Yes, anyone can do it, provided they have a gauge to ensure the depth gauges all end up at the same height, and a decent file, but in my mind, the point of getting a chain ground is to get everything set up correctly, just like you say. The teeth should all be the same length, filed at the same angle with identical gullets, etc, and the depth gauges should all be set to the right height.

Those are the freebies. Neighbors and friends. They don't complain, unlike like everybody here does. Honestly, I would not sharpen a stick for most of you whiny perfectionist.

Sorry, I didn't realize that your contribution to this thread about a chain grinding BUSINESS was based on your practice for sharpening chains for FREE. While we're giving out unrelated information, I prefer my coffee with a little cream, no sweetener. After lunch though I might put a little maple syrup in it.

Apologies to the OP for gumming up your thread.

Really?
You think that the dozens or so members that have posted in this thread are all running a chain sharpening service? That their input required this personal knowledge? Wake up my friend.

Sorry, I didn't realize that your contribution to this thread about a chain grinding BUSINESS was based on your practice for sharpening chains for FREE. While we're giving out unrelated information, I prefer my coffee with a little cream, no sweetener. After lunch though I might put a little maple syrup in it.

Apologies to the OP for gumming up your thread.

Lol I was only looking for a catchy name for my latest venture. But I’m enjoying the entertainment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry about that........
And I used my last name and it worked and with some of sharpeners retiring in the next few year set in gold
I know every negative review they have and learn from that

$5 and a potential for a boat load of grief in charging even that little amount. And the chains are in bad bad shape. Such people usually figure it is cheaper or easier to just buy a new chain. A husky chain 24'' chisel full skip cost me under $20. And I sharpen often and with a passion after a morning of cutting. Neighbors I sharpen for abuse their chains, and after I sharpen them I see them hit dirt almost immediately. Drives me crazy. But I cut with them and if I don't sharpen their chains I cut over 90% of the days wood. I don't mind the sharpening, for they are grateful, don't complain and buy my beer, etc.

r,

Lot of the time at the shop people drop off their saw with a "go through it" and even still that stuff is just sort of "side work".

Would seem like doing just chains would be hard to make ok money?

I started at 4 dollars a loop and up to 5$ now

Except the Holtec chain and I’m not backing down from 25$

I started at 4 dollars a loop and up to 5$ now

Except the Holtec chain and I’m not backing down from 25$

We charge $10.
Even then it's not great money. Shop rate is $90/hr.

The Holtec take at least one hour or a little more to set the rackers to .40 every time

Should I charge more??

Starting a sharpening business, well can you tell me about the insurance end of it? If joe blow gets his chain sharpened for his Wild Thing and it kicks back and injuries him are you to blame? You took the rakers down so that it would cut. Now he want to sue you. This is just one example.The chain is still on the saw.He wants to have you sharpen it.You sharpen the chain but he comes back the next day saying that the saw is not oiling.He blames you. Honestly this is a risky business.Lawyers are just waiting for calls dealing with personal injuries.Do you have a business license? Are you insured? Can you legally do this sort of work in your garage? What about hazardous waste?Do you have a rest room for your customers?Anyway I went down this road.Are you planning to sell new chain?

Starting a sharpening business, well can you tell me about the insurance end of it? If joe blow gets his chain sharpened for his Wild Thing and it kicks back and injuries him are you to blame? You took the rakers down so that it would cut. Now he want to sue you. This is just one example.The chain is still on the saw.He wants to have you sharpen it.You sharpen the chain but he comes back the next day saying that the saw is not oiling.He blames you. Honestly this is a risky business.Lawyers are just waiting for calls dealing with personal injuries.Do you have a business license? Are you insured? Can you legally do this sort of work in your garage? What about hazardous waste?Do you have a rest room for your customers?Anyway I went down this road.Are you planning to sell new chain?
Buddy keeps trying to get me into this. I keep telling him no for all of the above reasons. It would be different if it done under the umbrella of a larger business hardware, farm store, saw shop, welding shop ECT...

Back