Stihl 064 coil replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Haglund

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have read a bunch of threads regarding Stihl 064 and coils but I am still unsure what to do.

I have a 064 with a bad ignition coil. The coil is Prufex CDIC (part 1122 400 1303). I have the single keyway flywheel (part 1122 400 1204). It seems like this is the worst flywheel to have if you need a new coil.

So, what are my options to get this saw running again? Another flywheel is not easy to find in Sweden where I live. Should I just buy a 0000 400 1300 or 1122 400 1300 coil and then try to find the new correct position for the flywheel by not using the key and then trial and error? Someone wrote it should be about 160 degrees off.

@Definitive Dave and @Jacob J. have posted a lot of good info in the past but now it is 2018 and parts for this chainsaw are getting scarce.

You are sure that the coil is bad? It could be a loose flywheel, in which case both the coil and the flywheel could both still be OK.

Check to see that you have a spark. If you do, remove the flywheel and then install it tight as a drum with the key in place. The key sets the timing but does nothing to hold the flywheel in place on the chankshaft. Check again to see that you have a spark. If you do, the saw's engine should run.

You are sure that the coil is bad? It could be a loose flywheel, in which case both the coil and the flywheel could both still be OK.

Check to see that you have a spark. If you do, remove the flywheel and then install it tight as a drum with the key in place. The key sets the timing but does nothing to hold the flywheel in place on the chankshaft. Check again to see that you have a spark. If you do, the saw's engine should run.
I can't be sure the coil is bad but I do not have any spark. I did remove the flywheel to get the part number. It was very tight. I also measured the kill switch to make sure it wasn't shorted. The wires checked out ok. I also measured the ignition wire. It was ok as well. The spark plug looked new but I will try another one.

I can't be sure the coil is bad but I do not have any spark. I did remove the flywheel to get the part number. It was very tight. I also measured the kill switch to make sure it wasn't shorted. The wires checked out ok. I also measured the ignition wire. It was ok as well. The spark plug looked new but I will try another one.
As such and based upon what you wrote here, I believe it is the coil that has gone bad. Get the replacement part. Aftermarket is about $15:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-C...=item23aac9e06a:g:yfAAAOSwRUlbpKEP:rk:11:pf:0
Install it and see if it works. Just be sure it's gapped right at about 0.010". What do you have to lose?

That is a nice fix. I have three mounting holes in my case so I think that problem is taken care of. Is that the generic coil 0000 400 1300 you are running?

I tried to measure the timing difference from a flywheel picture here on the forum. As far as I can tell the flywheel needs to turn approximately 41 degrees. I need to get myself a timing wheel.

Latest posts

Back