Saw upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys
I am new to this forum looking for advice on upgrading my current saw for cutting a lot of firewood. I have a Stihl MS250. Great little saw but i cut a lot of big hardwood. The 18” bar isn’t big enough for felling some of the trees im harvesting. I don’t need a huge saw but definitely need more than the 18” bar I currently run. I’m thinking about getting a Husqvarna 455 Rancher with 20” bar. What do you guys think?

Depends how fast you want to cut through your hardwood and how much money you want to spend.

455 might be ok for some folks, but once you drive a pro version saw, you will never go back.

- If you want budget saw then the Echo 590 or 620 have a good following, but some might say they are not at the Husky or Stihl level. I haven't used them so can't say.
- Budget 60cc pro level saw is the Husky 555 running a 20" bar - if you want to stay at 20" bar, this is great combo for Firewood (a tad lighter and cheaper than the 562xp).
- Husky's best pro level 60cc saw is 562xp and it is a great saw with plenty of power. Even stock, with a 20" semi skip chain, it cuts like an angry banshee.:chainsaw:
- Stihl's pro level 60cc saw is the 362 c-m, also a very nice saw but a tad bulkier than the 562xp. Throw them both around to see what feels better in your hands.
- If you don't mind carrying extra weight and want 70cc, the Husky 372 has a great track record and would handle a 24" bar easily.

AND, if you want 70cc in the lightest new 70cc saw available (just slightly heavier than a 562xp) then the new Stihl 462 c-m is the latest monster, albeit expensive!

After working out the kinks in my 2013 562xp, it is a GREAT saw with big balls for it's size, but if I was cutting lots of hardwood over 20" and money was no object, I'd definitely get the new Stihl 70cc 462 c-m with a 20" bar if you want a nimble rocket, and/or keep a 24" or 28" bar around when you want the extra reach. This saw sets the new standard for awesome power to weight ratio. We'll see how it holds up to abuse over time.

Depends how fast you want to cut through your hardwood and how much money you want to spend.

455 might be ok for some folks, but once you drive a pro version saw, you will never go back.

- If you want budget saw then the Echo 590 or 620 have a good following, but some might say they are not at the Husky or Stihl level. I haven't used them so can't say.
- Budget 60cc pro level saw is the Husky 555 running a 20" bar - if you want to stay at 20" bar, this is great combo for Firewood (a tad lighter and cheaper than the 562xp).
- Husky's best pro level 60cc saw is 562xp and it is a great saw with plenty of power. Even stock, with a 20" semi skip chain, it cuts like an angry banshee.:chainsaw:
- Stihl's pro level 60cc saw is the 362 c-m, also a very nice saw but a tad bulkier than the 562xp. Throw them both around to see what feels better in your hands.
- If you don't mind carrying extra weight and want 70cc, the Husky 372 has a great track record and would handle a 24" bar easily.

AND, if you want 70cc in the lightest new 70cc saw available (just slightly heavier than a 562xp) then the new Stihl 462 c-m is the latest monster, albeit expensive!

After working out the kinks in my 2013 562xp, it is a GREAT saw with big balls for it's size, but if I was cutting lots of hardwood over 20" and money was no object, I'd definitely get the new Stihl 70cc 462 c-m with a 20" bar if you want a nimble rocket, and/or keep a 24" or 28" bar around when you want the extra reach. This saw sets the new standard for awesome power to weight ratio. We'll see how it holds up to abuse over time.
Agreed mostly, except I'd say the 590 is a budget saw, the 620 is the best pro saw deal to be had. Falling to the 562 only in weight but handling longer bars better. Owning both the 562 does not out cut the 620.

Like others said get a good 60+cc pro saw. Should be able to get a real good used one in your budget.

A good Pro saw will also retain its value very well if you decide to sell it.

I hate the idea of running a 13 or 14 pound plus bar and chain saw any more than I have to.

But I kind of agree with the idea of wanting to step up to a pro saw.
I'd be looking at a MS261CM. About 25% more power that the 250 without a huge difference in weight.
Or is that 33% more power..? Guess it depends on which way you're going. 261 has 33% more power or the 250 has 25% less power?

Myself, I'd like to sell a few old saws and get a 241 at the next big sale. But I read on here that if it has only 1 bar nut it can't be a pro saw?

Honestly have used stihl up until we started having issues with our 038 magnum. Then got the cs590. Cuts just as quick and quite a bit lighter then the old 038. More or less the go to anymore.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MS261 will handle an 18" bar, not so sure I'd want to run it with a 20. It will probably do it, especially if you don't keep it buried in big wood all the time. But I run an 046 mag with a 20...

Check out the home depot rental site. They sell used Makita 6100 or 6421 for about 320. I really like my 6421 and this is how I got mine. The 6100 is 60cc and the 6421 is 64cc.

I vote for a good used pro level 60-70cc saw *brand with best dealer support locally* I run a 372xpw for 90% of my felling/bucking work here. A 70cc goodwith light weight bar in 20-24" will make quick work of all your cutting needs.

I have had a 372 in my sights a few times...and even had contacted some folks on here with them up for sale in the trading post BUT that would require me to sell my 555 to fund it and for the life of me I can't get up the nerve to put it on the selling block.

Goody- if this has already been answered, I apologize, but are you still going to be running the 251 for the light stuff? It seems the 372 and other 70cc ideas a smidge big, ESPECIALLY if that’s all you’ll be using. It sounds to me like you’ll be needing a good 60cc saw tops.

I have a 250 that was the one saw plan for 3 years. I picked up a 590 after I joined AS. A 562 or 362 is a great saw if you can swing the price. But even the lowly 590 will put a grin on your face if your only saw now is the 250.

Yeah. One of our local Echo dealers has 10% off this week. So that's $360 for the 590.

I always think I want the latest and greatest, and I wouldn't rule out the Makita 6100 for being in that race.
But when it comes time to lay out the cash it's hard to overlook a saw like the 590, or any of the Echo's, for just getting a great value on a new saw that will get the job done, albeit maybe with a little less panache.

Unless someone is paying you to use that saw everyday, it's really hard to spend six or eight hundred when you can get a pretty nice saw for four.

But I still like the idea of a pro 50cc. Husky 550xp or Stihl 261. Sub 11 pound powerhead and 4+ horsepower.

Just going to put this here:

Current dealer cost on the 555 is just above $500. I sell them for $550. Not saying you should get the 555 because several saws in this thread will do what you need them to do at or below your price limit, but...…………..

Rigid adherence to a target price, that was established before you even started looking at the saws, can result in a disappointing purchase. Guys frequently use the phrase "can't justify" when exceeding their target price. But how does one justify spending $500 if the saw you'd really rather have is not that much more expensive? You're going to have it for a very long time. I get it if the money is just not there, and you need a saw now. Then the deal has to be: this is how much I have to spend on a saw, so what are the best options for that money?

And a slight rant: Since the beginning of this site, a common narrative that is repeated over and over when comparing firewood saws is this stupid phobia about saws with plastic crankcases. The discussion always takes this "don't get a saw with a plastic case" refrain and plenty of good options for the prospective buyer are overlooked because of this. Echo guys are quick to play the plastic card, cause saws like the 590 are mag cased. Then the "gotta get a pro saw" guys jump in as well. Heck, I was probably saying the same thing 10-15 years ago.

But, where are all the failures over the past 15+ years due plastic crankcases? These saws sell in such huge numbers for both Husky and Stihl. High volume dealers like myself should have plenty of dead plastic case saws in the boneyard if those crankcases were indeed a liability. I have NEVER seen a 455/460 Rancher fail because of a plastic crankcase. Very reliable saws that just run and run. The 555 is nicer to run, but a 460 will hang with it power wise. And it's the same with product from Stihl. The evidence shows that these saws will hold up just fine over the long haul. There is absolutely zero reason to avoid them because of the plastic crankcase. Truthfully, the plastic case can often take a hit without damage better than some of their mag cased counterparts.

The plastic case saws have proven themselves over the years to the point that it's time to lay this phobia to rest. Continuing to tell guys to avoid them is really no longer the knowledgeable advice they came here looking for.

Latest posts

Back