038 Mag wants to rip my arm off!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’m working to rebuild an 038 mag stihl, I put a new recoil kit in it and now when I try to start it I get backfire that seems to want to rip my arm off every time I pull the cord. What am I doing wrong?

I’m working to rebuild an 038 mag stihl, I put a new recoil kit in it and now when I try to start it I get backfire that seems to want to rip my arm off every time I pull the cord. What am I doing wrong?
check the flywheel key.It may have moved loose and timming is some advanced

Like @L34 said, this sounds like a coil/flywheel mismatch. The timing may be too much advanced. If that is the case you can try to retard the timing by removing the flywheel key and rotate the flywheel just a little bit.

I had a 044 with the same problem. I swapped out the flywheel for a different one and that fixed the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gasket?
Is it the same?
Harley T you are the man. I was reading one of your other posts, the SOB was hydrolocked with tons of penetrating oil in the crankcase. I turned it upside down cranked the piss out it, put the plug back in and rip.....magic. She won’t stay running but hey it’s a start, she sounds hella sweet though....a little shot of choke cleaner or a kit and she should idle. I bet this thing will pull like a freight train once it’s tuned up.

Latest posts

Back