395 and 390 discontinued?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, I'm serious. If you're hell bent on a 36" bar, go with the 395 period. (I really think you're going a little overboard with that bar length, but that's your choice)
Regardless of what all the 'internet experts' tell you, a 36" is too much bar for a 390. I've owned and ran them both .... in north-eastern hardwoods.
Put a 36" bar on a 390, and in most situations I'll cut circles around you with a little 55 w/ a 16" bar .... no BS.

Interesting. Thanks

Seeing that the EPA is an American Agency, those saws not being available in Europe BECAUSE of EPA Regulations, is Really Interesting :confused:

I second the Madsen's suggestion, I was just there on Friday, they had both the 390XP and the 395XP on the shelf, if they don't have one with the bar size you want in stock, I would be Very Surprised if they wouldn't swap bars out for You.

Too Bad you're so far away, Madsen's is my Favorite Toy Store :), the place is Incredible :surprised3:

Give Madsen's a call:

(360) 736-1336

I'm Sure they can Help You out

Doug :cheers:

Seeing that the EPA is an American Agency, those saws not being available in Europe BECAUSE of EPA Regulations, is Really Interesting :confused:

I second the Madsen's suggestion, I was just there on Friday, they had both the 390XP and the 395XP on the shelf, if they don't have one with the bar size you want in stock, I would be Very Surprised if they wouldn't swap bars out for You.

Too Bad you're so far away, Madsen's is my Favorite Toy Store :), the place is Incredible :surprised3:

Give Madsen's a call:

(360) 736-1336

I'm Sure they can Help You out

Thanks. I called, bob in the shop is suggesting a 372xp instead of the 390 as it is closest in weight to the 480cd I’m trying to replace

They're Good People at Madsen's, 2.5 hours and about 125 miles from me, but fortunately being a truck driver, I can often stop there on my Lunch.

Our local tree service recommended them, and it was Good Advice in my opinion, Simon tries to work runs into Madsen's with other trips that way too ;)

Thanks. I called, bob in the shop is suggesting a 372xp instead of the 390 as it is closest in weight to the 480cd I’m trying to replace

Excellent all around choice for a large firewood saw.... and what you probably would be most happy with in the long run. Kudos to the 372xp!

BUT......not if you're gonna go and stick a 36" bar on it.

Do that and it's gonna fall flat on it's face ....... Ugh ....... Waaaaaaaaaaa :chainsaw:

Even a 28 or 32 is really too much bar for a 372 in hardwoods.

If you go with the 372 ...... put a 24" bar on it, and you're gonna be one happy camper.

STOCK saws... 394/5 rated to run and oil up to a 48” bar and they will. 385/390 will run a 36” with SKIP chain ok that length, full comp 36” a bit much in hardwood imho. 372 will run a 28” with skip, again full comp at that length in hardwood will need a light hand. The length bars I would personally to run on them in hardwood? 32-36” on the 395, 28-32” on the 390 and a 20-24” full comp on the 372. Porting and modded kind of throws this all off a bit. Then it depends on what the AV/chassis and oiler can handle.

Thanks for trying,. I should have added the XP behind the numbers. just cause I only run husky doesn't mean everyone does

The others just haven't learned any Better yet, maybe it was a Bad Childhood, or possibly their Momma's didn't teach em' Right, Schitt sometimes a kid just goes Bad No Matter how hard Momma tries to teach Em' Right ;):)

STOCK saws... 395 rated to run and oil up to a 48” bar and they will. 385/390 will run a 36” with SKIP chain fine at that length, full comp 36” a bit much in hardwood imho. 372 will run a 28” with skip, again full comp at that length in hardwood will need a light hand. The length bars I would personally to run on them in hardwood? 32-36” on the 395, 28-32” on the 390 and a 20-24” full comp on the 372. Porting and modded kind of throws this all off a bit. Then it depends on what the AV/chassis and oiler can handle.

So called 'Rated' ..... and 'Real World' are 2 very different things.

All the manufacturers of saws 'SAY' their particular saw will run up to a 'max' xx length bar. (can you say marketing hype)

Will it spin the max? ..... Yes it will so they didn't lie. But in many real world, 'hardwood' situations, it's gonna be a ****ing dog with that 'max' bar length.

Real world 'hardwood' max .... if you don't want your saw to feel like a whipped dog with it's tail between it's legs.
Max 372 = 24
Max 390 = 28
Max 395 = 32

PS - Keep in mind. A good running saw with the correct sized bar for your situation will make you much more manly than a long bar that makes the saw look good, but run like a wuss.
ie: Your bar's length is not indicative of your penis size :happy:

Hope the brazil offering isn't the same as the dodge engine block they made

I owned 1 Dodge truck in my life, and the truck itself was a piece of **** but at least had a good motor. Then I learned about the 53 block. Of course mine had it. At that point I said screw it, sold the truck, bought a Chevy, and swore off any Mopar product for the rest of my life.

They're Good People at Madsen's, 2.5 hours and about 125 miles from me, but fortunately being a truck driver, I can often stop there on my Lunch.

Our local tree service recommended them, and it was Good Advice in my opinion, Simon tries to work runs into Madsen's with other trips that way too ;)

Is Warren still there? I always liked o call and chat with him. I haven’t made an order this year that I remember.

I like 28” lightweight bars on 372 an 34” on 390. That’s my preference for how my chains are filed. I don’t have any trouble with them down on power in hardwoods at all. I’ve run a stock 044 with 32” 404 falling a few nasty rotten oaks.

Is Warren still there? I always liked o call and chat with him. I haven’t made an order this year that I remember.

I like 28” lightweight bars on 372 an 34” on 390. That’s my preference for how my chains are filed. I don’t have any trouble with them down on power in hardwoods at all. I’ve run a stock 044 with 32” 404 falling a few nasty rotten oaks.

Sorry, I don't know Warren, or whether he is still there or not. I haven't been to Madsen's enough yet to know everyone by name, but when I have been there, everyone was very Friendly, and really seemed to know their stuff, Simon Burke, the owner of Simon's Tree Service is a Neighbor, and Highly recommended around here, after the work he did for us in July, I can understand why. When we got to talking saws, he said that I "HAD" to go to Madsen's, OMG, the first time I walked through the door, I just stood there Staring, and Drooling;). Simon has earned my respect, I trust his judgement, and He has been dealing with Madsen's for years, I'm Glad that he advised me to stop by there. As much business as they do, and as long as they have been in business, I'm sure that if you tried really hard, you could find someone that had a bad experience, but my bet is, that is a very short list.

I run 28,32,&36” on my 2171’s with 8 tooth, full comp and skip don’t much matter, I prefer skip for ease of sharpening and chip clearance. I cut mostly Ash,Maple,Oak,& hickory. Power wasn’t an issue, the 36 definitely is too much for the AV springs but for my needs I get by.

So called 'Rated' ..... and 'Real World' are 2 very different things.

All the manufacturers of saws 'SAY' their particular saw will run up to a 'max' xx length bar. (can you say marketing hype)

Will it spin the max? ..... Yes it will so they didn't lie. But in many real world, 'hardwood' situations, it's gonna be a ****ing dog with that 'max' bar length.

Real world 'hardwood' max .... if you don't want your saw to feel like a whipped dog with it's tail between it's legs.
Max 372 = 24
Max 390 = 28
Max 395 = 32

PS - Keep in mind. A good running saw with the correct sized bar for your situation will make you much more manly than a long bar that makes the saw look good, but run like a wuss.
ie: Your bar's length is not indicative of your penis size :happy:
I'm really not sure what shape your saws are in, but I find your sizes a bit under. A strong 60cc has no issues in hardwood with a 24". My cs620 can't even tell the difference between a 20" and a 24" in oak or rock elm. A 28" on my 288xp was nothing for it even when it was stock @88cc on hardwood. Either setup does not have to be eased through any hardwood, so I'd think a 32" is a bit under what the 395 can pull easily regardless of wood.

I'm really not sure what shape your saws are in, but I find your sizes a bit under. A strong 60cc has no issues in hardwood with a 24". My cs620 can't even tell the difference between a 20" and a 24" in oak or rock elm. A 28" on my 288xp was nothing for it even when it was stock @88cc on hardwood. Either setup does not have to be eased through any hardwood, so I'd think a 32" is a bit under what the 395 can pull easily regardless of wood.
Spot on

Hey, to each their own on bar length. If you need it, you need it.

Just saying - in a lot of situations those extra inches aren't really needed - Just eating up HP simply for show boating.

Someone cutting beside them with 'technique' and a more conservative bar would cut circles around them.

Back