Whats best small gas splitter 4 the money?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll get answers all over the map. Comes down to what you consider as factors when judging 'best', and how you will be using it.

IMO, all the 'big box' cookie cutter splitters are all about the same & offer the same good value. But they're not quite for me - I find their configuration/layout leaves something to be desired.

I appreciate hearing that , I would also buy my DHT 27 ton all over again , but I have toyed with the idea of the 4 way several times , just can't bring myself to do it , because I think it would be off the splitter more than it was on the splitter with he odd shapes , and grains of the wood I seem to get so much of. It sound like your confirming that in you saying you would pass on the 4way adapter.
You nailed it. If everything was 12-18 inches, and perfectly straight, they would be great. Unfortunately, we live in a different world. It did come with an adjustable wedge that you can make about 6 inches taller than the stock one, and I leave that on all the time. If you can find one of those on its own, I would recommend you get that.

You'll get answers all over the map. Comes down to what you consider as factors when judging 'best', and how you will be using it.

IMO, all the 'big box' cookie cutter splitters are all about the same & offer the same good value. But they're not quite for me - I find their configuration/layout leaves something to be desired.

I am in this camp over the years I have bought a lot of used { factory made splitters} long before the internet. I would pick them up at garage,estate,farm sales for cheap get them running and then sell them for a profit. Back then I was selling wood around 100 cord a year and had plenty of help a buddy with kids. We would always use them for a while to make sure they were 100% before I sold them. All them were the same too slow, not layout right. They are better than doing it by hand by a long shot but for someone that can fab and repair things that don't cut the mustard. I myself don't like splitting vertical don't want to work on the ground. I have ran two home built splitters for years one of them I still am running. Both were projects someone started and never finished.Both had 28 GPM two stage pumps. One 5 inch cylinder one 4 inch cylinder one pushed the wedge one wedge on the end of the frame. Both with lots of tables on them to keep larger splits from falling on the ground. Both are a little more than waist high not bending over. One with a hyd boom lift and the other with a hyd log lift. We wore out the cylinder and slide on the one that had the moving wedge and boom lift. That one ended up getting parted out. I would never have another one pushing the wedge for my own usage. If you read your wood that one with a 12inch push plate 12 inch sharp wedge and a 4 inch cylinder will split those nasty knotted locust logs no problem and that 28 GPM two stage pump gives you nice speed. Today we only do around 20 cord for my own usage with not much help. Since you missed the black Friday sales if you can wait for summer I would watch the sales moving,garage,estate,farm you can usually pick one up for a lot less than new that hasn't been used a lot. Around here you buy snow blowers and wood splitters in July and boats in Dec and Jan.

I too, have been Very Happy with our DHT 27 Ton Splitter. We are on our Third Season with it, split about 10-12 cords a year.

Ours has the 6.5 hp, 196cc Kohler engine, which has been very Reliable and Easy to start, I wouldn't Hesitate to. Buy another piece of Equipment with a Kohler engine.

I personally wouldn't buy a splitter that wouldn't go vertical, we have split rounds over 36", that lifting those to a horizontal beam, wouldn't be an option.

For ME, a 27 Ton would be my minimum rating, before we bought our DHT, we had rented a 25 Ton Speeco, we were splitting Spruce, that was some of the Knottiest Schmitt, I have seen.

That 25 ton Speeco was really struggling with some of it, it managed it, but almost stalled several times.

I prefer a Ram mounted wedge myself, vertical splitting simply isn't an option normally with push through style splitters.

I haven't used a 4 way wedge, but looking at them, it doesn't look like it would be something that I would be interested in.

Doug :cheers:

I have a DHT 27 ton and it's been an excellent splitter. I also have a 4-way that I use almost everytime I split. If I see a knotty piece I wait till the end, remove the 4-way and split with the single wedge. It's never given us any issues with starting and I split everything.

I have a Yardmax 25t full beam splitter I got from Home Depot. On my 2nd season with it probably split ~10 cords so far with no problems. It came with a 4 way wedge but I never used it other than to just test it out a couple times, I'm picky about the size of my splits--don't need no 4-way telling me what to do :)

The SuperSplit is more money than a box store splitter. See if you can find someone near you to let you 'experience' one before you buy something else. Towing is a week point, limited to the wood lot, if that's a factor.

I really like my Dirty hand tools 27 ton vertical/horizontal , they have very good service and treat the dealers right for warranty work.

if I were looking for a small I would look at the 22ton Dirty Hand Tools splitter they run about the same as the competition about 900 to start

I think someone said as a Arboristsite member there is a discount but I bought mine before I found this site.

check the dealer network for DHT it is worth buying from a full servicing dealer in my opinion.

my local saw shop sells them he told me about how he was impressed with the company when he did the first warranty work and I was later impressed when I called to get a hose the broke and they not only sent me the hose but also the new pump with the 90* bend fitting and I was at the very end of my warranty when they did that. I broke the hose in a frozen rut because it hung below the axle they had resolved that with a different pump and gave me the pump all I paid was shipping I was ordering filters any way.

Stumbled across a DHT 30T on clearance at Lowes for $999.. scooped that right up and love it!! Started on 2 pulls when it was 11° a couple weeks ago. Cant go wrong for the $. Has split everything I've ever put through it, including some 30" hickory rounds.. Light enough to maneuver by hand, and tow around with the ATV for longer distances.

The SuperSplit is more money than a box store splitter. See if you can find someone near you to let you 'experience' one before you buy something else. Towing is a week point, limited to the wood lot, if that's a factor.
Bought the brave ez split ,mainly because i can transport very easy , it has workd very well so far,mainly just spliting 20 inch stuff with it. it was a display model which was on the floor at a dealer up north paid 500 out the door .i had a 22 ton brave yrs ago and it was a great splitter 2. i hav access to a large splitter if needed thu. this is nice because i can put in the atv trailer .

Bought the brave ez split ,mainly because i can transport very easy , it has workd very well so far,mainly just spliting 20 inch stuff with it. it was a display model which was on the floor at a dealer up north paid 500 out the door .i had a 22 ton brave yrs ago and it was a great splitter 2. i hav access to a large splitter if needed thu. this is nice because i can put in the atv trailer .

Sounds like you made a good buy. Enjoy the new toy.

Stumbled across a DHT 30T on clearance at Lowes for $999.. scooped that right up and love it!! Started on 2 pulls when it was 11° a couple weeks ago. Cant go wrong for the $. Has split everything I've ever put through it, including some 30" hickory rounds.. Light enough to maneuver by hand, and tow around with the ATV for longer distances.
I haven't found anything yet the 27 wouldn't split , I am only splitting 16-18 inch length but some 36 inch wood and a lot of crotches and twisted grain .
did one yeaterday about 24-28 inches , that it kicked down into low I told my son take a big step back or better yet step behind the wheel of the splitter , it too about a minute and when it went , boom and the 2 sides popped apart by about a foot the piece looked from the outside to be strait but looking at the end grain it was the start of the crotch. usually they pop but don't jump apart but that one Jumped apart wit a boom when the grain finally let go.

Welcome to AS @350rancher. your not any stranger than the rest of us firewood/chainsaw nuts. we do need pics though.:laugh:

Hey Steve,
I resemble that statement, I think :confused:

Er, Uhm, I RESENT that statement,

Well Dayum, actually I probably DO Resemble that statement more than I Resent it ;):)

Any how, Welcome to the AS Forums 350 Rancher:hi:

Doug :cheers:

Just watched a video on supersplitter log splitter at 2.5 seconds that machine will really work 1 man . hard 2 believe that can split that fast, wonder how durable they are.

Latest posts

Back