CS-8000 on mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny580

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to make 2 cuts with the Granberg and the 8000.--I was somewhat pleased with the job,-- lots harder than bandmill, BUT gotta slab it down first to fit!
the unit after the second cut

20180418_164630.jpg

Back corner view

20180418_164642.jpg
face of the log
20180418_164554.jpg

Another face view

20180418_164656.jpg

This is the maple log that I have been working on.--It was cut 3 years ago and had been up off the ground so it's not in too bad of shape.--It does have a bit of spalting in the outer part.--I don't care for spalted wood, BUT I take whatever comes my way!!---This was one section and I have 2 more about like it so there will be some good boards in there! LOL!!! thanks; sonny580

What size bar are you running on your Echo and how are you liking it now that you've had a little more time with it?

I ask cause I'm looking at getting an Alaskan mill but I have two 60cc saws now that I like for firewood but worried running a mill might cook'em. Thinking of the Echo 80 as a more of a low rpm workhorse better suited for milling but would like to hear from experience. Not too worried about the speed of the operation, just the capability as I'd just be milling to supply my woodworking habit.

What size bar are you running on your Echo and how are you liking it now that you've had a little more time with it?

I ask cause I'm looking at getting an Alaskan mill but I have two 60cc saws now that I like for firewood but worried running a mill might cook'em. Thinking of the Echo 80 as a more of a low rpm workhorse better suited for milling but would like to hear from experience. Not too worried about the speed of the operation, just the capability as I'd just be milling to supply my woodworking habit.
The 60cc saws might be ok for an occasional small log but I'd definitely go bigger if you can. With milling, the more power the better. I really like Echo saws but I decided to go with a Stihl 661 for milling because of the bigger engine. I'm running 28, 36 and 50" bars. I don't have any personal experience with the Echo 800 but I'm sure it would do fine with a 36". On longer bars, running skip chain helps.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I just recently got the 800 myself. I only have the 27" bar so far. To be honest, it hasn't impressed me yet, though I don't get to use it often enough to really push its limits. Maybe I'm just used to the higher chain speed of the 590 I usually use. Next week I have a big box elder to dismantle, then mill up. It will be a great test od its abilities.

I just recently got the 800 myself. I only have the 27" bar so far. To be honest, it hasn't impressed me yet, though I don't get to use it often enough to really push its limits. Maybe I'm just used to the higher chain speed of the 590 I usually use. Next week I have a big box elder to dismantle, then mill up. It will be a great test od its abilities.
I had the same impression with my 680. It's a great saw but can be a little deceiving. It doesn't seem to rev as high but it has really good torque and power through the rpm range. It definitely got better after re-tuning and a few tanks of fuel. It's still fairly new but it's still getting stronger.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I finished up that box elder job. The chain tensioner broke on my 590 so I was forced to do everything with the 800.

Once again, I was frustrated that it didn't seem to cut as quickly as the 590. But by the end of the 2 days of milling, it really woke up and will definately outmill the 590 now.

Now I have the confidence it will handle a 36" bar. I was worried this thing would be a lemon. Turns out it just needed more run time.

Latest posts

Back