Inside the MS462C - Snellerized Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
most of the fresh air that goes through the strato ports never enters the crank case. yes or no?
some of the fresh air is trapped in the cylinder. yes or no?
when gutting the strato's your adding fuel to the fresh air. yes or no?
your gutting the strato's to get more fuel into the cylinder. yes or no?

your looking at them as working like external or boost ports?
Jmho ... if one were to connect the intake via a small hole or tunnel to the stratos such that a tiny bit of fuel could be delivered at high rpm you might find some gains ... lotta complex mathematics but it’s always BEST by TEST !

KX-500 was the best you could come up with? There were much better smoggers than that bike.
Yah , spanked a lot of CR500 s and Banshees back in the day at the dirt-drags ... that bike made a ****-ton of powa ... IF the guy knew what he was doing ... we now return to our regularly scheduled program ...

I haven't had a chance to get back out with it. I'm working on my car today and heading out of town next weekend for my 30th anniversary with my bride. This saw isn't going anywhere in a hurry, so there will be more to come.

Have a great time sir. Enjoy!!! The saw can wait!

i'm not sure what you asking, but I will add this

both brads saw(gutted strato's) and my saw(strato's intact) are m/t.
the computer in the coil is adjusting the air fuel mixture for peak performance no mater what is done to the porting.

I know that it's a computer controlled carb.
My late question was in regards to how you know its getting all the fuel it needs.

I'm just trying to see why gutting the strato's does/doesn't work.

Why won't a more evenly mixed fresh charge & a less restrictive intake not result in more power? What am I not seeing?

I don't have the answer as to why, although I can guess like anyone else. All I can tell you is that it does work. I did extensive testing on the first MS261 that was sold in the US. I tried everything before gutting the stratos. No one had ever done anything like that before. I risked ruining a cylinder. Fortunately, it was the missing piece I had been looking for. That's why I say you guys can talk all the theory you want, but the proof's in the pudding. And until someone puts some rubber to the road and tests the theory, all this talk about fuel economy is just that....talk. My customers say otherwise, although no testing has been done to prove it.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/the-ms261-is-here.153482/

I don't have the answer as to why, although I can guess like anyone else. All I can tell you is that it does work. I did extensive testing on the first MS261 that was sold in the US. I tried everything before gutting the stratos. No one had ever done anything like that before. I risked ruining a cylinder. Fortunately, it was the missing piece I had been looking for. That's why I say you guys can talk all the theory you want, but the proof's in the pudding. And until someone puts some rubber to the road and tests the theory, all this talk about fuel economy is just that....talk. My customers say otherwise, although no testing has been done to prove it.

Yah ... I’m not sure that flow - velocity calculation,and cad are “theories “ Mr. Snelling ...I’m very in tune with my equipment and even the most perceptive people can be wrong + or - 10% by the seat of their pants or by shooting from the hip ... what “feels” stronger may in fact be a bias or expectation by the operator that particular moment ... we shall see what TM comes up with using the gutted intake boot soon enough

I couldn't help myself. I had a 3/4 wrap handle and dual dawgs to throw on this saw, then I ended up making a couple short videos. Yes, the wood is soft. I have two pieces of wood here at the house...this piece and the one I did the first video in. That's it. Take it for what it is. You'll have to use your ears to listed to how the saw is running. I'm very pleased with it at this point.

I've got a 261 with statos intact that with give it a run for its money. Just saying.

I know that it's a computer controlled carb.
My late question was in regards to how you know its getting all the fuel it needs.

I'm just trying to see why gutting the strato's does/doesn't work.

Why won't a more evenly mixed fresh charge & a less restrictive intake not result in more power? What am I not seeing?

mainly by the spark plug, looking for a tan color

me too, that's why i'm testing it

I don't think your missing anything there

60-L.jpg
61-L.jpg

62-L.jpg

63-L.jpg

64-L.jpg

Just a little fitting is required.
65-L.jpg

66-L.jpg

67-L.jpg