Any firewood you won't take (cut)for free

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cottonwood, Boxelder are on the won't go out of my way for list. If I was an OWB guy guess I'd rethink them as there is pretty much unlimited access. Couple neighbors 1 with cottons and 1 boxies been trying to get me to take out large quantities. I can't see doing it for free unless they were hazards.

Will probably do some of the cottons for that reason. But it will be on a trade labor basis and a couple 105dl chains cause they are yard trees. Who knows how many signs, fences or feeders been there over the past 100 yrs.

Burning oak and cherry mix right now. Hope to stay out of the elm until late season.

Any firewood you won't take (cut)for free ? I don't take cotton wood
Really loved my JD 318. In spirit I’m with Del. It hurts every fiber in my body to do hard work for free. That being said, I cut on 3 friends farms for free, and they let me hunt them. I don’t clean up, leave knots and shorts for bug habitat. I cut only standing Dead Oak, and their farm hands load my trailer. I could take dead Ash and Maple too, but why. I’d have to take down an old Oak to get to them, so for me it’s Oak only.

It's a bi-atch to split, but I haven't had any issues with the way it burns. It's fairly dense, and doesn't smell bad. What specific problems have you had?

Never could get it to burn by itself
Had to mix it in oak or hedge
Around my area a tree service can’t give it away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting responses.

Pine is annoying with the sap, but it burns just fine when dry.
Silver maple - I've never had ash issues. I'd say hickory leaves a lot more ash than Silver maple.
Hackberry is fine too.

Don't get much cottonwood here, but I wouldn't burn willow or sycamore - not even split, seasoned, dropped off and stacked for free!
You want ash in the stove, now sycamore is the one for you.

No sukamore for me either. like some maple for the not so cold times rather than use that than good wood. Like hackberry, can be a bear to split. Happy to get a little pine, great kindling.

Cedar is not great for anything. It can not be much value as lumber any more. I had some trees the other day about 10 cords worth. So I cut it up and split it with a sign on the highway saying free firewood. It only took two days and it was all gone. Thanks

What don't you like about hackberry? It's rated pretty good. I've only cut one and haven't burnt any yet. I get lots of box elder. It dries light and burns hot. People say it rots but split and stacked it seems to keep for awhile. I mix it in all heating season.
I burn lots of Bix Elder, mostly because I have lots of access to it. Burns hot and fast, not good for over night burns, but good for reheating in the morning. It will reheat insert when I get up and can reload with ash before I leave for work. Also good for more exercise, I can reload ever hour!

Cedar is not great for anything. It can not be much value as lumber any more. I had some trees the other day about 10 cords worth. So I cut it up and split it with a sign on the highway saying free firewood. It only took two days and it was all gone. Thanks

Cedar has many uses - rot resistant, repels bugs, smells great, and burns quick and hot. Beautiful grain for woodworking and carving.
Whenever I get any cedar lumber scraps, I have the kids bust it up into kindling.
I made a bunch of Scandanavian candles out of several small rounds. Works great for that kind of thing. I could probably sell those things for several bucks apiece.

You are a saint! 10 cords! 1280 cubic feet of heat. That's a bunch of work. Cool.

Not much use for cedar lumber?! They sell pretty rough fence boards in cedar for $5 each at Lowes here. 6" wide., 3/4" thick. 6ft tall.

You are a saint! 10 cords! 1280 cubic feet of heat. That's a bunch of work. Cool.

Few people call me a saint, but I will take what I can get. Cedar with some wood preservative I think is great, but as far as new construction do not see very many uses since it is considered a fire hazard. I sneak some of it into camp fire mixes since kids really enjoy the popping. Thanks

I will usually pass on basswood and willow. It is super heavy when wet then super light when dry, if you can get it dry. Not worth the effort moving all that water unless it is on my property and needs to be cleaned up anyway.

I don't take pine, persimmon, bradford pear or poplar. Persimmon rots quick and it's hard for me to sell pine and poplar. Bradford pear is usually just a bunch of knotty forks and never comes in descent. I am pretty much concentrating on White Oak, Red Oak and a much smaller amount of Hickory I sell for smokers and cookers. After 5 years, I just got my wood yard all cleaned out of junk wood and I only have room for the good stuff.

I am a snob and only cut red & white oak with a little hickory thrown in and occasional cherry. I have access to commercial log landings so there is no reason to cut crap.

I am probably going to cut some ash this Winter though, a local private golf course I belong to is cutting 100 ash and I can have all the wood. It will be bucked into 8'4" log lengths and hauled to the parking lot that is perfectly level. About 4 miles away.

I burn lots of Bix Elder, mostly because I have lots of access to it. Burns hot and fast, not good for over night burns, but good for reheating in the morning. It will reheat insert when I get up and can reload with ash before I leave for work. Also good for more exercise, I can reload ever hour!

Did you read the question?

Sycamore, I'll take it for free already split, but only bucked into logs.... No thanks. It burns okay, but the amount of work to process it is a deal breaker for me. Aside from that, maybe Black Gum, but I have never been offered it, and I'm sure everyone knows how difficult it is to split as well.

Back