Educate me on pole saws!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl makes a good pole saw. But.... Why in Tarnation don't they make them with a duck bill? With the saw tip angled down, just a bit, so it cuts more parallel to the ground? It bugs me. Echo, or somebody DOES make one with an angled head.
N
I had the same concern and have been surprised to find that cutting at the angle has not been a problem. To have the bar angle down would make it difficult to start the saw without the chain coming in contact with the ground.

I have used both Stihl and Echo pole saws, both good but I prefer the Echo because it always starts in one or two pulls and doesn’t have those goofy gas and oil caps that Stihl uses.

I bought a Stihl combi tool with polesaw attachment last spring, it works and starts very nice, way easier to use than the longer Stihl or Echo pole saws, but of course without putting an extension on it only reaches about 10 feet but that’s usually long enough for me. I also have the weed eater head for it, works great but seems to get heavy a lot faster than a regular weed eater.

We used echo and stihl power pruners. Echo is much cheaper but the stihl we used had a lot more grunt. Had a stihl, got damaged, tried Echo, went back to Stihl after not long.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Would you consider an electric? I just got the Oregon version. Cuts everything I need. Any tree I didn’t drop I want to cut the limbs off as high as I can reach. It’s doing a fine job. The battery life on the model I got is about a half hour, but by then my shoulders are shot and need a break while it recharges.

I bought the Echo PPT-2620 with the loop handle and the 4 foot extension. About 16 or 17 feet overall. Here it is extended to about 14 feet. Many of the limbs in this tree are somewhat rotten and unstable.
20181230_152203.jpg
For me, it's an indispensable tool, but big and heavy and ungainly, and rediculously expensive. The extension seems somewhat fragile, but it is for the most part very sturdy.
And once installed, the extension makes it very easy to break it down into two pieces for easier transport or storage. Without the extension installed breaking the pole down is quite a chore, and putting it back together a pain in the rear.

The PPT-280 is a foot longer, a pound heavier, a little more powerful, and $60 more expensive.
I wouldn't mind the extra foot in length, but the 2620 has enough power to get the job done, and I can do without the extra weight.

I thought about the Echo PAS attachment system, but even with the extension it was only 11 feet I think.

I've cut a lot of high branches that were hanging over power lines. And other high unstable branches from roof tops. Stuff that otherwise couldn't be done without a bucket. And getting a bucket in place could tear up a yard, especially when everything is soaked.

Sometimes I feel the need for one of those 21' Silky Hayawatchamacallits. But another $300. And there's no way I'd want to make as many cuts as I do with the power pruner while nibbling away at limbs as to not drop anything too heavy on the roof. It's a good idea to put some plywood down anyway to prevent roof damage.
But still that 21' would come in real handy.
And I've used a shorter manual saw with the rope lopper often in the past. With dead braches often you can just hook them and break them off. Sawing with it is slow though.

For the most part I don't need a pole saw but I WANT one! Im very familiar with chainsaws but my knowledge of pole saws is ZERO. I want a professional saw with the longest reach and lightest weight possible. Any suggestions?

If you're not working around power-lines, Silky Hayate or Hayauchi. I prefer the Hayate as it's more rigid, despite the extra weight, cost, and loss of a foot over the Hayauchi. The bottom cutter is also removable, meaning you can get into tighter places that the Hayauchi may be a pain to work in. Further, I love the larger circumference handle of the Hayate.

But both are excellent tools if you treat them well.

Back