Is the shop lying to me and next steps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He put on a $30 cylinder kit. There’s pics of it somewhere in the previous pages. Told the op it was a new oem top end and sold it to him for$900. Then when the saw blew up he wanted $750 to fix it. This guy is a crook and I’m sure the op is not the first person he has done this to, nor will it be the last

Oh, I'm not doubting that it wasn't an OEM P&C, I just wasn't making any claim of my own, as I haven't personally seen the saw in question, and having never owned or worked on a Stihl, I wouldn't know the difference between an OEM, or an AM P&C.

Doug :cheers:

Myself, I’m not going to condemn either the shop in question or the OP without any real evidence. All we really know for sure here is that he has a saw with a bad Chinese cylinder. We’re hearing the OP’s side of the story and it sounds plausible.

If he doesn’t want to push the issue because he has some sort of community ties to the shop, I understand that. I once payed for a 60,000 mile maintenance at a family members repair shop and got burned, (timing belt never replaced). I never said anything. I just never went back to his shop.

Myself, I’m not going to condemn either the shop in question or the OP without any real evidence. All we really know for sure here is that he has a saw with a bad Chinese cylinder. We’re hearing the OP’s side of the story and it sounds plausible.

If he doesn’t want to push the issue because he has some sort of community ties to the shop, I understand that. I once payed for a 60,000 mile maintenance at a family members repair shop and got burned, (timing belt never replaced). I never said anything. I just never went back to his shop.
Yeah, I agree...

That's right, I forgot that you mentioned that already, ok I'm on board. Anyway, a 91 cc saw seems like too much saw for a homeowner. Are you going to sell it and get something more practical after your done with the rebuild?

Thank you for the confidence. I originally got this saw because I wanted something bigger to start ripping lumber. I'm slowly clearing trees to make room for an orchard and I didn't want the best ones going to waste. I got a Haddon Lumbermaker attachment. Tested it on my 250 but quickly realized I needed something with more power.

By the way, are you Taryl, and do I win anything by guessing correctly???:popcorn2:

No, but thank you. I'm just a big fan of his videos.

Since the terms and conditions of this site pertaining to not be a monitor seem ignored, might start a new build thread.

What do you mean, "...to not be a monitor..."?

It took until page 16 to clarify hard to keep running meant hold throttle wide open for extended time.

I didn't know at the time it would be relevant. And the reason I clarified that is only because someone didn't trust what I wrote. Also, it wasn't run WOT for an extended time. I was only squeezing the throttle just enough to keep it going between cuts of limbs. I had to restart it multiple times in that 30 minutes or so.

In my own job, I have “not at homed” jobs many times only to have the customer later swear we never showed up. We have GPS, phone and electronic records which prove otherwise, however.

What do you mean "..."not at homed" jobs..."?

Listen everybody. Like I said before. I never meant for this to be a dealer bashing thread. My intention was only to get a second opinion about the oil and learn some tips on repairing the saw myself. And if my relationship with the shop owner wasn't so sticky I would push the matter. And even if I did somehow report him it is still my word against his. The receipt I have from the shop for the saw is just a receipt. Whatever was done to it before I bought it is a mystery. Any of you in my shoes would be doing the same things I am in all this. Have a little grace.

Could you please find time to fill out a quit survey as to your latest experience in our chainsaw forums.

1)very very helpful
2)Good
3) Disapionting
4) Some of them are just stupid
5) They are all stupid

Q)
Did you find this section helpful?

With a side of 5

Could you please find time to fill out a quit survey as to your latest experience in our chainsaw forums.

1)very very helpful
2)Good
3) Disapionting
4) Some of them are just stupid
5) They are all stupid

Q)
Did you find this section helpful?

With a side of 5
I took the quit survey. Can I quit now?

And if my relationship with the shop owner wasn't so sticky I would push the matter. And even if I did somehow report him it is still my word against his. The receipt I have from the shop for the saw is just a receipt. Whatever was done to it before I bought it is a mystery. Any of you in my shoes would be doing the same things I am in all this. Have a little grace.
Why is your relationship sticky with the owner?
Whatever was done to it before I bought is a mystery.../ Back in post 176 you said the dealer put a new OEM top end in it. Are the parts you pulled out OEM?
If I was in your shoes and the dealer did put cheap parts in there I would certaintly doing something about it other than whining on a forum.

I took the quit survey. Can I quit now?
That was a quick survey? That was only the first question.
499 to go.
Nice easy ones to get you in your zone... Like the old Lawyer trick. The last 50 really get into your 'emotional bathroom'

2) When you and your lady are doing it doggy fashion do you like her to reach 'back' around?

1)Never
2) sometimes
3)Ladys don't do me
4) I don't do Lady
5)sometimes but only to the first knuckle

That was a quick survey? That was only the first question.
499 to go.
Nice easy ones to get you in your zone... Like the old Lawyer trick. The last 50 really get into your 'emotional bathroom'

2) When you and your lady are doing it doggy fashion do you like her to reach 'back' around?

1)Never
2) sometimes
3)Ladys don't do me
4) I don't do Lady
5)only to the first knuckle
6)none of the above

Well Woodluvr I've downloaded all your posts into my troll detector and Its giving you a pass. Lots of ribbing going on here including some from me, hope you take it all with a grain of salt. Personally I Hope your rebuild is a success, keep us updated.

Screenshot_20181211-213946_Google.jpg

OP...you took your 'thank you to *those that helped...Post down.
I went to give it a like and it 'said error'

Does that mean you changed your mind from 4 to option5? j/k

I haven't even addressed your question yet. I'm a slow starter.

A 1993 World Champion race saw builder (Bob Walker, Walker Saw Shop) told me in the fall of 1992 to stay away from the gas station brands and if you see a jug with lawnmowers and outbboards and chainsaw and snowmobiles....don't touch them, they are made diferently.

I've come back from work at 8:00 PM and gone to Walmart and they were out of Castrol saw mix and I've picked Castrol Snowmoble mix for a day instead of a Walmart brand. Not a position I like to be in. probably a 25min decision I remember.

Having said that....if it was a new OEM he put on then Im sure it would be running still if the saw was functioning properly and sharp at the time....OEM and look after it and it will look after you.

Back