If chainsaws were NOT 2 stroke, would you still enjoy them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone here would be running a 4-stroke. Here's the future (copied from the history of Chinese saws): Everyone poo-poo's them. Couple guys find an ebay deal on refurbs for ~$40 shipped and everyone now has one (or twelve) to play with. Huztl copies design and starts making BB kits and lumpy cams. A pro-porter snags one cheap, puts a microturbo on and starts selling fuel-injected turbo kits. Harley announces a prototype v-twin saw. People argue over which 4-stroke oil is better.... and....

Everyone here would be running a 4-stroke. Here's the future (copied from the history of Chinese saws): Everyone poo-poo's them. Couple guys find an ebay deal on refurbs for ~$40 shipped and everyone now has one (or twelve) to play with. Huztl copies design and starts making BB kits and lumpy cams. A pro-porter snags one cheap, puts a microturbo on and starts selling fuel-injected turbo kits. Harley announces a prototype v-twin saw. People argue over which 4-stroke oil is better.... and....
No way. Unless the epa totally crushes 2 strokes to the point of uselessness like outboard boat motors.

If I got a diesel would I still have to file my chains or could I just use the grinder bolted on the accessory mount?

This is only non two stroke I would consider.

But if as much time and research was invested into electric motors as porting is today, I feel there is some serious improvement to be made.

If I got a diesel would I still have to file my chains or could I just use the grinder bolted on the accessory mount?

With a diesel, sharp chain is no longer a limiting factor. Only leverage on the bucking spikes. It comes with a cheater pipe you slip into the back handle. Oh yeah, and the chain starts to look more like a stump grinder teeth.

Well, my Stihl HT103 is really a chainsaw, just with a long reach, and it is a 4-mix, so maybe not a traditional 4 stroke engine but pretty much there. And I am very impressed with what the little guy can do. My string trimmer is a Honda with a 4 stroke engine, and while marginally heavier than a comparable 2 stroke trimmer I do not know that I would give up the power of the 4 stroke for the weight savings. Of course the harness for the trimmer does minimize the weight issue.

But electric, not in the foreseeable future. With my battery operated tools I just eat up the batteries. And while plenty of people tout the virtues of electric vehicles, electric lawn mowers, etc., as being non-polluting, unless they are getting their electricity from a non-polluting generating facility I do not see environmental benefits.

If battery tech was such that I could cut for 2 days between charges and the chain speed was the same, I would gladly swap a gas powered for an electric. No starting procedure other than pulling the trigger, no gasoline to mix or store, no noise hazard. I fail to see the drawback. The keys would be advanced battery tech and chain speed.

I've always had a thing for small engines when I was young. No matter 2 or 4 cycle. As I've grown older, that thing I had still exists.

I enjoy the simplicity of the 2 strokes, although the 4 cycles can be just as much fun in the right application. I suppose that why I like m/c's so much.

Back