70 ton wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ill slide the cutting box between the 2 uc. planning on running the h beam up the back of the rams this week and fitting rhs over the top

Attachments

• IMG_8616.JPG
    IMG_8616.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 18
I've welded plenty of 1/2" and 3/4" with a 175 amp MIG. Just takes beveling, multiple passes and pre-heating helps too.

Not sure I understand the reason for the 4 small splits and then 12 big honking ones.

I've welded plenty of 1/2" and 3/4" with a 175 amp MIG. Just takes beveling, multiple passes and pre-heating helps too.

Not sure I understand the reason for the 4 small splits and then 12 big honking ones.
Google hotasswood.com or 16way wood splitters. Or look at the cord king 16 way splitter. Same design this is just our first cutting box- plenty more options to add more blades or make another box as they just slide in and out. But ill try it with the 16 way first. That be 48 pieces in 1 push- if it works....

That is on my short list of equipment to purchase.
Yea i love it, the pic is just cutting free hand, ajusted my hand twice and carry on. Thats 20mm thick boron and 200mm long cut around in 40 seconds. If you want it smoother run the plasma along a straight steel edge. Iv only done all up an hour or 2 of plasma cutting but yea lern how to use the tool and its awesome

Attachments

• 20181202_120808.jpg
    20181202_120808.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Yea i love it, the pic is just cutting free hand, ajusted my hand twice and carry on. Thats 20mm thick boron and 200mm long cut around in 40 seconds. If you want it smoother run the plasma along a straight steel edge. Iv only done all up an hour or 2 of plasma cutting but yea lern the tool and irs awesome
This is a pic of the free hand piece after 30 seconds of grinding. But yea if you want it cleaner ya just need to clamp an edge to run along. Makes a fast job dont have to worry about how low ya gas bottle is n saves ya cutting discs for when ya dont want to use the plasma.

Attachments

• 20181202_121121.jpg
    20181202_121121.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
View attachment 687571 been a busy few weeks few other projects complete and out of the shed... hopefully ill have a bit time to get this up and running... all tacked together, will zap it up with a 400a flux core mig with co2 gas, my welders getting a bit small for 20mm boron steel
Wow nice! Yeah one advantage I have is one of my welders is a Miller 330 A/BP which (if I remember right) is 100% duty at 330 amps and spikes upwards of 600. I'm not out running it even on 2" plate. I tell you though, if I was to ever go into production using steel as heavy as 1" to 2" I'd surely get a big mig and set it up solely for Flux core. I wouldn't use the machine for anything else, just the thick stuff.

Started the top and back support today. Just did the 1 support threw the middle with 90mm by 150mm rhs to make it easyer to load up with ring with the bobcat bucket. Will add some morw support

Attachments

• 20181203_173115.jpg
    20181203_173115.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
few more pics, I'm on my 3rd roll of 15kg wire- lost count of how many gas bottles used... still need to add support to the tipping table weld on some uc column on the back of the cutting area for the axle/conveyor, will connect it up to our skid steer for a test over the next few day - see if the wood pushed threw the cutting knives and if the cutting knives hold together . I have got some half dry gum and camellia in the paddock i need to split to get dry for next season, if it splits that well it will be stage 2- building the conveyor.

Nice one Tony. So this is like a primary breakdown splitter, then resplit on another splitter to final size?

Google hotasswood.com or 16way wood splitters. Or look at the cord king 16 way splitter. Same design this is just our first cutting box- plenty more options to add more blades or make another box as they just slide in and out. But ill try it with the 16 way first. That be 48 pieces in 1 push- if it works....

Interesting outfit. I quickly looked though it, looks like a Bells processor.

Seems like it'd end up with alot of tiny wood. I use a 6 way and it's not too often I have to resplit anything.
One of the outfits out this way has the 12 way? wedge on a Cord King (or maybe it is 16). Anyhow, if you want to make a cord of wood and have 3-4 wheelbarrows of splinters, that's the way to do it.

Also is there a way you can make the photos larger? They show up like 1" square and I can't hardly tell what is going on.

Nice one Tony. So this is like a primary breakdown splitter, then resplit on another splitter to final size?

Hey kiwibro, na it completes it in the 1 push. We just ran our first ring threw, 500mm in diameter dry gum ring we got 4 triangle center pieces at 210mm by 150mm by 150mm - happy as with the size and 12 out side pieces 120mm long on the sides and 70mm 1 end and 120mm the other. very happy with the sizing from a 500mm ring,

think i fluked the knife measurements as the center pieces are a quite decent size, outside are medium could be larger or smaller which the rings size will determine.

at 3000 psi (we pressure checked) the bobcat struggled big time to push it threw , it gave in and started going threw but I hadn't filled in the gap on the inside of the h beam inside the knives so the wood hit the inside of the h beam so we stopt. I new it need to be done i didn't think the ring would split out that wide.

next job - pull out the knife box, box out the edge that sits in the h beam and grind up some of my welds to help the wood not get hooked up and we will try 3 rings and take a video and load it up

I need to re try with some wet rings and see how she splits. the gum wasn't knotty but the rings were seasoned drying since july, will try it over the next few months splitting different wood on 3000 psi and see how it goes.

it will need a power pack to run everything so we can up the psi once conveyors complete if need be... now i'm thinking it needs a log table i need to stop thinking cause it can split 3 rings me log table needs 3 hydraulic chain saws. the chain saws do the 3 cuts a ram angles the 3 cut pieces into the chamber pushes threw 48 pieces fall out pulls back 3 more ring fall in.... i don't think we will go that far but i want to....

Seems like it'd end up with alot of tiny wood. I use a 6 way and it's not too often I have to resplit anything.
One of the outfits out this way has the 12 way? wedge on a Cord King (or maybe it is 16). Anyhow, if you want to make a cord of wood and have 3-4 wheelbarrows of splinters, that's the way to do it

One of the outfits out this way has the 12 way? wedge on a Cord King (or maybe it is 16). Anyhow, if you want to make a cord of wood and have 3-4 wheelbarrows of splinters, that's the way to do it.

Cool.

Also is there a way you can make the photos larger? They show up like 1" square and I can't hardly tell what is going on.

Have you tried clicking on the photo. that works for me on this site ?

Very, very nice. I want one. Are you going to fill in the channels? Seems to me some of the side splits are going to get logged in the channel and cause obstructions.
EDIT: Sorry, I had not read further down to see you already encountered this issue. 3 posts up.

Screenshot_2018-12-13-07-12-33.png

FWIW- Its a lot easier for me to say that it is an easy fix. Modify or replace the channel/ H beam and add two flanges on your box wedge.

Capture+_2018-12-13-07-37-18.png

Wow, you can get away with split sizes that would be too big here. I'd have to put a secondary set of knives behind the first.

FWIW- Its a lot easier for me to say that it is an easy fix. Modify or replace the channel/ H beam and add two flanges on your box wedge.

View attachment 689971
Hello virginialron. Yea i new it needed to be done. Had my hydraulic guy come out so i couldnt help my self we had to have a test run. Tbh i didnt think the ring would of split out to the h beam will have a play over the weeknd hopfully

Latest posts

Back