Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Multifaceted is the Arvika a particularly large eye? I just read something that suggests it is bigger than the normal 2x7/8" sweedish eye. might be an option.

It's a little on the big side for Single Bits, but not by much compared to other American patterns I'm used to. Definitely cannot buy a handle for this at the Hardware store here, would need to be custom made or special order. Here are the eye dimensions on mine, hope this helps!

bMIxFe5.jpg

9hJZ2Ey.jpg

It's a little on the big side for Single Bits, but not by much compared to other American patterns I'm used to. Definitely cannot buy a handle for this at the Hardware store here, would need to be custom made or special order. Here are the eye dimensions on mine, hope this helps!

bMIxFe5.jpg

9hJZ2Ey.jpg
That is an excellent fit, nice.

Done the axe this weekend and just finished the bush axe tonight. Brushing up because I got two I'm putting together for xmas gifts....one for my poppa and one for my buddy that gave me most of these heads.
1544140965370148004633641542923.jpg 1544140965370148004633641542923.jpg 29606.jpeg 29607.jpeg

I would think that you want softer wood; don't want the flying axe to glance off. Might want to put a ring of steel banding around the perimeter (back several inches from the front edge), to keep it from splitting?

Philbert
I was thinking just thicker to prevent splitting but you make me think maybe a ratchet strap would work at least during throwing without much risk to the ax.

Found this hewing axe today in my travels marked Phila tool company. Hand forged or forged with a power hammer for sure. single bevel on the right side so I'm guessing right handed starting on the left end of a log. Heads a little loose I'll drive the wedge a little bit and give it a soaking in blo. Some dingy sharpened the edge with a disk grinder, I'll fix that up also. Not sure of the age.DSCN5394.JPG DSCN5396.JPG

well, i'll be darned! another swell thread... I had no idea existed. will ck out all the restoration work when I get a chance... lil bit later. i have maybe a dozen axes, maybe bit more... I like axes quite a bit. double lumberjack specials... all the way down to the lowly, but infamous... camp axe! some better than others. :) I have had some of my axes over 40 years... and have many of then restored or in process... one way or another. film at 11:00!

great pix here, btw ~

:yes:

Found this hewing axe today in my travels marked Phila tool company. Hand forged or forged with a power hammer for sure. single bevel on the right side so I'm guessing right handed starting on the left end of a log. Heads a little loose I'll drive the wedge a little bit and give it a soaking in blo. Some dingy sharpened the edge with a disk grinder, I'll fix that up also. Not sure of the age.View attachment 691266 View attachment 691269
I read somewhere that the single edged hewing axes, with the diamond ears on top and bottom, where made so the head could be flipped over, making them right or left handed.

Well ,
d3yk3E4.jpg

That was my favorite maul :(
So a stop in at LeeValley and I picked up a replacement haft . I found it quite reasonable at 22$ .
First up , how to deal with these ,
1NncNWx.jpg

The drill was my friend :)
jzFIQ6w.jpg

UAYEXb0.jpg

LZ7uhpL.jpg

qY5Oxo9.jpg

The fit on the replacement haft was quite good out of the box .
Here if is on the first run in .
6fsByw4.jpg

After just a bit of woodfile work
a2JwA3z.jpg

ZnHpnIZ.jpg

ermz4Xq.jpg

V3QrtdU.jpg

So a bit of work with my trusty SwissArmy and all the varnish is gone , I'll oil it up over the next couple of days .
tBCj3or.jpg

Back