Shelter Wood furnace Sf1000. can i use coal too?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XtraPSI

Reaction score
Hey everyone... im new here and dont know if this discussion has come up... I have a Shelter SF1000 Wood Furnace and wondered whether i can burn Coal as well? Seems as if Shelter used to make them where they could use both wood and Coal but they no longer do? is this a fed regulation now that they cannot advertise or is there a physical engineering difference between the 2? Thanks for any input!!!

Need to look into it . I have a 2626 I need too sell . That 2626 would burn coal . All the new wood stoves I seen in the stores had a secondary burn with the tubes .

With the wood burner /multi fuel stove the units here in France an at a glance way to denote one from the other is look at the grate if it is more solid with few if any holes its a wood burner Grate like fire place basket means Multi fuel there are other differences but that's a quick way No idea if the left of the pond models are the same

Quick Google tells me no. It doesn't have any kind of shaker grate system. You may get away with burning bituminous coal, but anthracite isn't going to be an option. If you want to burn coal, you need to forget everything you learned about burning wood.

I have a U.S. Stove that will burn either. It has a shaker grate with almost as much air hole space as iron to hold the firewood up. After years of use the grate fell apart and had to be replaced. There was a detailed rebuild of my stove around here if it wasn't lost in the server crash a few years ago.

Back