More chipper stuff, Bandit 250XP disc refresh

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Woody,

Are you sure you have the right knives as there are 2 different sizes for bandit 250XP's. Your knife size should be 7.25 x 4 x 1/2. The gap between the blade and knife should be about a credit card thickness. Having sharp knives on a disc chipper is critical as it helps pull in the material.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

hello Dave, yes these are the correct blades for the 99 . Good point for they do make a thinner blade for the 250. So this machine is really hammered and the disk is eroded almost to the bolts . I plan to weld the wheel with a 7018 welding rod and fill up the v shaped eroded area and then grind to size. The machine is getting debris jammed in the out most part of the outer blades. Am I correct in thinking that this erosion of the wheel is causing this material the be jamming up in the outer blades and also is allowing big material to get by the wheel for its a lousy chip that comes out of this machine. Thanks in advance for any help from the forum.

That is very true. I can't use the machine as it is so what should I do. I was thinking about the balance of the cutter wheel as the machine is not very smooth now. What about buttoning the machine cutter wheel housing and placing trial and error magnets on the wheel and run it slow with out blades and if I get it right just weld steel the same weight as the magnets and replace the magnets with same weight steel

A true balancing should be done at about 2,400-2,500 RPM's. Depending upon what engine you have. The Cummin's and Deere's run higher RPM's than the Cat/Perkins. I don't think the magnets will hold at that RPM. When disc's are out of balance, you'll notice different vibrations at different RPM's. When I have disc's balanced, they balance them without the bearings on the shaft and they also have new knives and bolts. They will not balance the disc without the new knives and hardware.

I do realize that you are very knowledgeable that I just should set aside five grand or so so and do this right way. Not going to happen at this juncture here in CT this winter. Can you tell me if this disk erosion is contributing in a major way to the clogging problem?

The disc erosion has nothing to do with it. Does it clog the chute? If it's clogging the chute, you may have a limb bridged in the chute that's blocking the chips. The chip size is controlled by the anvil clearance. What type of wood is causing the issues? Hickory is very tough to chip. You may also want to check the fan paddles on the disc for cracking as they can crack and not create the air needed to get the chips out. You may also want to look for any holes in the chute or the transition that leads up to the chute. A disc chipper creates more air than a drum chipper due to the fan paddles being bigger.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

You should post some pics of your disk! If you have decently sharp blades regardless of the quality of your anvil unless it's not there at all? it shouldn't clog the blades.

Run it clog it take a pic

No joke we had a chipper running an insane anvil clearance I'm talking like damn near a half inch we had zero clogging and minimal chip quality issues...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back